US Roster For Brazil Game

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SAMBA, Sep 3, 2007.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this post makes it clear who did not watch the u20 world cup *unless you are being sarcastic, if you are I will fall back*

2. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    At first I was dissapointed, but now not so much. Arnaud shouldn't see the field, Pearce may get his chance at LB. (albeit against the most powerful attack in the world)

EJ I would normally complain about, but KC's off, so there's an excuse. Wolff has been very good at 1860 as of late so no complaints there. Altidore's injured, young, and has an MLS game, get over it. Adu's trying to adjust to life at BENFICA, yeah Benfica. Though he might pick up some Portugese if he were at this game. Nice to see Seitz as he looks to be the GK of the future, probably here just to make up the numbers for now though.

And here's what you've all been waiting for, my (4th?) lineup given the roster:

--------------------------------Wolff---------------------------------------

---------------------------------#2----------------------------------------

Beasley------------------------------------------------------------Donovan
    -----------------Feilhaber----------------Bradley---------------------------

Pearce------------------------------------------------------------Spector-------------------Boca---------------------Demerit--------------------------

---------------------------------Howard------------------------------------

Boca, is our best CB in camp, sorry. Demerit will be a little faster and smarter. Spector provides more defensive commitment than Dolo. And we finally get to see the best LB in America.

Feilhaber was born in Brazil and he's our best CM, why the hell wouldn't he play!? Bradley is likely to play whether I put him in my lineup or not but he's decent and I'd rather see him who provides a little more offense than Mastro and fouls less.

Beasley has been very effective at Rangers and Convey probably isn't in the best form right now. Also expect to see a lot of defending by our wings whether they want to our not, Beasley's the man for the job there. Donovan needs to be on the field, don't believe me? See how we did in Copa America!

Dempsey gets to play in the hole (do we have a solid definition of that now?) like he did at Fulham the other day when he was amazing.

Wolff is the most in form forward in our pool, I know, sucks to be us. But just keep praying every night that Altidore continues to develop into the man-beast that he should be.

3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Surprises me that all the various lineups being proposed do not have EJ starting. He's the only guy on the roster who has the capability to be a threat while playing alone up top. The most obvious lineup to me is EJ as the forward, with five mids behind him. Beaz and Dempsey wide. Donovan as attacking mid/withdrawn forward. Then two of Feilhaber/Mastroeni/Bradley.

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu is the better player

5. UChicagoSoccer

UChicagoSoccer New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Re: Roster: Announced

What did they do? They played in Europe for a Europe-only friendly against Sweden. They played on a MNT that has Nowak as an assistant coach, who just so happens to be the U-23 coach. It's a chance to integrate them into the mentality of the full MNT program before bringing them back down to the U-23 program.

What did they do to deserve a call up? They don't seem to be on the full-team roster against Brazil. Why might that be?

As for the Altidore vs. Feilhaber debate:
    1. Feilhaber has already been integrated into the program
    2. Feilhaber doesn't have a game on Saturday, Altidore does
    3. Feilhaber seems perfectly well in practice, but nothing suggests that Altidore is in the same situation as Feilhaber.

Altidore is starting to approach the hype of EJ, grown ass man, etc... all he needs is a nickname and a Euro-fetish and we'll be set. Breathe in and out. The roster is just about as good as it can get, minus one or two uncapped people. That isn't exactly that horrible... calm down people.

6. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Come on. Adu is a class above Zizzo. Get real.

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

Well, is this a joke or not?

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I confess.

9. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

Dempsey - Donovan - Beasley should not be our three sole attacking players. All three play better either linking-up with another attacking player or running off of a target (Dempsey being the best with the ball at his feet.)

We need somebody to play higher up, and Johnson is that guy.

Remember, Argentina tried a lineup without a true striker - with freaking Messi and Tevez - and looked poor against an organized Brazilian team in the Copa America final.

The guy that concerns me the most on Brazil is actually Daniel Alves. Our left back - be it Spector or Pearce - will have his hands full with this dude. He attacks with utter disregard for positioning or defense, but has the pace to cover back. We will absolutely need Beasley on the left, as he is a much better defender than Convey and has the pace to keep Brazil honest.

Though I'm not a huge fan of his, I hope to see Mastroeni in this game. He has more savvy in his challenge than Bradley, who I fear would chase everything and burn out by the 60th minute.

I hope to see:

----------Johnson----------------
    ------------------Dempsey-------

DMB-----------------------Donovan
    --------Mastro-Feilhaber-----------

-Spector-Boca---Onyewu-----Dolo-

----------Howard-----------------

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good,I was afraid I'd have to get out the Comfy chair and soft pillows.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, "the obvious" was not that he had to agree with me, but that FIFA's mandatory release rules are for the purpose of ensuring the strongest Nat teams for those dates,and that Bob was chosing to act contrary to those goals.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Brazil's likely starting 11 :

--------------Doni------------------

Maicon----Juan----Alex-------Gilberto

---------Elano----Gilberto Silva-------

Robinho------Kaka------Ronaldinho----

--------------Vagner Love------------

But it's possible that one of the attacking players will come out for another defensive midfielder. That's how Dunga Sarachan coaches.

13. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -----------EJ

DMB----Donovan----Dempsey

---Feilhaber--Bradley/Mastro

Spector--Boca--Gooch/Demerit--Dolo

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but he probably (I can't read that silly garbage that is posted there again) didn't address that point because it is a big, fat "so what". The only real issue is what is in the best interest of the USMNT.

15. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    My take:
    Howard - fine with me
    Seitz - nice to see him get a call-up
    Bocanegra - over Conrad? Poor choice in my book.
    Cherundolo - fine
    DeMerit - fine
    Onyewu - fine
    Pearce - much much better than Bornstein
    Simek - fine
    Spector - fine...but he better start producing for US
    Beasley - fine
    Bradley - booooo! Rico clark instead!
    Convey - ehh, ok I guess
    Dempsey - fine
    Feilhaber - fine
    Mastroeni - what? no Rico Clark? Are you kidding me?
    Arnaud - who? Where's Jozy?
    Donovan - fine
    Johnson - no, no, no. Where's Jozy?
    Josh Wolff - Is it suddenly 2002 again? Again...where's Jozy?

16. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Where is Brian Ching?

Without Altidore (for reasons I understand: injured, 17, never played at this level and the opponent is freakin Brazil), we still could use a target forward. Chinger has played well of late for the Nats especially in his last game when we won our continental championship. Sam's Army voted rankings in 2007 on a 1-10 scale:

6/24/2007 W 2 : 1 Mexico at Chicago, IL [Gold Cup Final] 6.51
    6/16/2007 W 2 : 1 Panama at Foxboro, MA [Gold Cup Rd 2] 5.01 (NOT RELEVANT _ 84TH MINUTE SUB
    6/12/2007 W 4 : 0 El Salvador at Foxboro, MA [Gold Cup Rd 1] 5.83
    6/9/2007 W 2 : 0 Trinidad and Tobago at Carson, CA [Gold Cup Rd 1] 5.80
    3/25/2007 W 3 : 1 Ecuador at Tampa, FL [Friendly ] 5.66

Yes Houston plays in MLS this weekend but that applies to 12 of the 13 teams.

17. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but Arnaud kicks butt man.... my question is: Why no Vanney, Heaps, Franchino, Victorine, Armas, CJ Brown, Buddle, Vanney, Alan Gordon, Vagenas, Clyde Simms...etc....
    If we are going to play to defend and counter....and a bit scared... sorry, but that is what the lineup tells me.... might have as well called these guys instead...Oh, yes, Woly too, to remind ourselves of the brilliant play of the Bruce era (in the last couple of years)....

tehy might not be the best, but they put such effort ... yaaay Skills, who needs skills.... Look at EJ when he's been asked to perform vs. tough opponents.... Guy's feet become worse than cem,ent and we usually can't keep a ball in offense to save our lives:rolleyes:

ANd anyone expecting a big game out of LD?... I would like that to happen, but not exactly thinking it will to be honest....

18. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Compared to MLS games this friendly is meaningless. The playoffs are not set and now is not the time to piss off club coaches. We already had our tourney double this year anyway.

Adu is best left right where he is at the moment. Let him learn and fight for playing time at a good club.

Altodore is not 100%. And quite frankly, what is the rush? Do we really need a 17 year-old standing on the field as we put 10 behind the ball? Will he learn that much?

I see Brazil is bringing the guns. Is this a result of the dual with Mexico? Kind of feel like a baby seal at an NRA convention. :(

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hoit.

BTW, I'd like to see Rico Clark too but this is an official friendly - 6 subs max and Bob's brought sufficient numbers for the match.

Of course, Mikey will go 90.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    But what about the fans, Martin? Who speaks for us?

http://sidelineviews.blogspot.com/

Who should Bradley call next?

Freddy Adu 6 (10%)

Jozy Altidore 44 (77%)

Jose Burciaga 4 (7%)

Danny Szetela 3 (5%)

Votes so far: 57
    Days left to vote: 6

So, everybody ...

Who do we want? Altidore!

When do we want him? Now!*

----------

* Unless he's hurt.

21. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Compare the roster of Brazil and the teams their players are with (Looks like a who's who of world soccer...Arsenal, Real Madrid, Chelsea,A.C. Milan, Barcelona etc) with the roster of the USA.....Fulham, Derby, Colorado, Hanover,L.A. Galaxy.....could be a long day.

22. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be happy if we score one goal against the Brazilians. However, I see us being shut out to the tune of something like 3-0.

23. footballcrazee

footballcrazee New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Compared to MLS games this friendly is meaningless? Couldn't disagree more. I strongly disagree with the contention that there isn't much to be learned from evaluating the players in a match like this and isn't much for them to gain from it either, I see it as a great opportunity that doesn't come along all that often. Getting Brazil is great, getting close to their A-team is a singular opportunity. I love DCU and MLS, but I think calling up good, young MLS players for a friendly with Brazil's A squad better serves the long term goal of growing and improving soccer in this country. If MLS insists on scheduling on designated international dates, they ought to be prepared to have players called up on those dates. If Altidore is too injured to play for club or country then fine, if not he should have been called. Bornstein and Parkhurst too. Bradley not doing so just helps bolster the critics who think he got the job because he'll acquiesce and do what he's told. I could understand some flexibility benefitting MLS if we were playing Guatemala or something but I don't think Bradley should have to worry about upsetting MLS clubs in this situation.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Dunga will probably take the big guns (Ronaldinho and Kaka) out at half-time.

Plus, he's a remarkably conservative coach who often plays 3 defensive midfielders and the US can hang against the likes of Mineiro and Josue.

Now, if Dunga opens it up a little ... that could be a problem.

25. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    USMNT has been abusing MLS this season. This friendly has no value in regards to a tournament victory or entrance to another event closer to the world cup.

We are going to see a defensive USA looking to counter and hold possession as long as possible. Altidore would be sitting on his hands for most of the game. Where is the midfield to support him? Or will he go it alone like EJ is supposed to do?:rolleyes:

Years ago everyone was going nuts about EJ and trying to figure out who was going to start beside him in the WC. Now we freak out about a kid who scores some goals in MLS. There are more productive current MLS players who have bombed for the nats. What do you say if he is called up and does not play?

The US can get A+ teams anytime they want. It would cost them however. Teams love coming here to play, it is like a vacation for most of them. The idea that teams avoid the US is without merit. As is the idea that teams do not schedule the US because of inferior quality.

If you want stronger teams then get on the USSF about scheduleing China, Guatemala, and a Denmark youth team at home. They could have done much better if they wanted to do so.