US practices

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by kylesoccer, Aug 29, 2004.

1. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are at harvard most of the week. late afternoon most days except tuesday. when i get a more detailed schedule i'll post it. also they will stay practicing at harvard after saturday's game for sunday and monday

2. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is the schedule for the week. again i don't know offically if they are open to the public. but since you can see thru the fences anyway, it really doesn't matter. all practices are at ohiri field as far as i know.

monday: 6pm
    tuesday:11am
    wednesday: 5:30pm
    thursday : 5:30pm
    friday at gillete

Sunday and monday there will also be practices with the times TBD.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    All training sessions for the USMNT are CLOSED to the public, this courtesy of U.S. Soccer. This is confirmed.

Just FYI,

The Magpie.

4. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nads. Could've had a Harvard ID by now, but noooo, the jerks in HR keep reposting the same jobs I've sent a dozen resumes for and never calling back...

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Not to dispute Magpie, but the rumor is that practices at Harvard are "open" to players/parents of Greater Boston Bolts youth club - where John Kerr, coach of Harvard, is also a coach. Don't know if that is a special perk only for members of that club or not, hence why they are saying the practices are Closed.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "Not to dispute Magpie, but the rumor is that practices at Harvard are "open" to players/parents of Greater Boston Bolts youth club - where John Kerr, coach of Harvard, is also a coach. Don't know if that is a special perk only for members of that club or not, hence why they are saying the practices are Closed..."

Kerr might have worked something out with the U.S. Soccer for the Bolts to get some measure of access during their week of training, perhaps through a clinic or equivalent, but I've been in contact with U.S. Soccer Communications and they have confirmed that the training sessions are closed to the general public.

The Magpie

7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    As far as I have heard, it is not just a clinic or something - it is wide open viewing throughout the week (but maybe that does translate to only the last practice before the game). Maybe they are doing this without approval from the USSF or Kerr or whatever. I am sure the official USSF statement for general public is Closed, just like you have pointed out - that way no press, no leaks on injuries, etc, etc.

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "As far as I have heard, it is not just a clinic or something - it is wide open viewing throughout the week (but maybe that does translate to only the last practice before the game). Maybe they are doing this without approval from the USSF or Kerr or whatever. I am sure the official USSF statement for general public is Closed, just like you have pointed out - that way no press, no leaks on injuries, etc, etc."

Again, maybe Kerr has arranged something through U.S. Soccer specifically for this group, but training sessions are closed to the general public. I have confirmed this out of personal interest with two members of U.S. Soccer's communications staff, and out of professional interest as an employee of Harvard's primary communcations office. Not trying to be a pain here, I just want people to get the straight scoop since there has been some miscommunication on this.

Members of the news media may be granted access to training sessions, with those arrangements being handled through the USMNT press officer.

Just FYI people.

The Magpie

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    When the US trained in Long Island, the sessions were closed to the public except members of the facility that they were training at. However since the fence around the field was the see thru type, it wasn;t an issue for the many people who came out to watch the US sessions anyway.

10. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    No they weren't. Hota Bavaria opened access to any and all. I was sitting in the stands, along with a ton of other people.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Granted I only went on the final day of the session, which was closed to the public. Forgot to mention that and I apologize.

12. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    ?? That's when I was there. During their scrimmage against the Rough Riders that was rained out, yes? They were letting people in and out at will.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yes the rain day. I could not get in. Several people I was with could not get in. The only people who seemed to get in were those on the list, or those wearing short shorts. I was neither. Not that I was complaining as the view from behind the fence was more than adequate. The only bummer was the weather which cut the practice short.