US/Portugal - Manaus - 6/22/14

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Dec 11, 2013.

1. goldy21

goldy21 Member

Apr 10, 2007
    The pitch in Manaus is looking pristine:

[​IMG]

From Deadspin: "Botella blames the isolation of Manaus hundreds of miles from any other World Cup stadium and largely inaccessible by road. 'All the machinery and materials had to be brought by ship,' he said. 'There's no fertilizer, no seeds. Everything has been complicated.'"

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?

wixson7 repped this.
  2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    This is a tremendous advantage to the Americans! In fact, I might sneak into the stadium the night before and tear up the pitch a little more. We're used to playing on astroturf, snow, Jamaican cowpatches, and everything in between. Possession-oriented Portugal must be pissed.

3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I'm sensing a massive clusterf- SA was supposed to be a disaster but it turned it to be world class, this time...well......We will see.

Real Corona repped this.
  4. HAO713

HAO713 New Member

May 7, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best airport transportation option?

5. Phil C.

Phil C. New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Charleston, SC
    I'm down.

6. recordcrate

recordcrate New Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto, I'm waitlisted for the US party.

Aside: was someone trying to put together a shuttle from Hotel Monaco to/from the game?

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually have tickets to the gameday party but I'm not sure I want to be fighting for cabs.

8. DCU_USMNT

DCU_USMNT Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Follow up to a previous post:
    Only 2 spots left for gameday shuttle from Hotel Monaco to the stadium, roundtrip. This is for the US-Portugal game. Cost is $15/person, send me a PM if you are interested.

9. William Reynolds

Nov 7, 2013
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also down for a tailgate at the stadium

10. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Riker, do you have any suggestions on a location for the tailgate? Just need a small strip of asphault or grass next to the stadium. I've tried to scout out an area but it looks like everything but the roads is fenced off. Maybe the Shell parking lot?

11. Emmanuel Souza

Emmanuel Souza New Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Club:
    Santos FC
    I Have 2 Tickets to Sell - Hospitality Match 30 - Manaus - USA vs Portugal - Private Suite C219, A1 and A2 seats front row - June 22/2014 3p.m. (will be with my wife in the a3 and a4 seats- same suite)-tickets will be given personally- please email me emmcsouza@gmail.com

12. William Reynolds

Nov 7, 2013
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking for one ticket. Any CAT..

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So like in natal I think my plan will be to cab to the stadium early before noon and hang around the eldorado shopping mall watching games and drinking cachaca.

14. MobileBama

MobileBama Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Mobile, AL
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea on how many USA fans will be in Manaus? More or less than Natal? Thanks and hope everyone is having a safe and fun time!

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guessing less due to distance and expense but who knows.

16. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    TAILGATE INFO (working draft; please opine if you're interested in joining):

I studied google maps and the helicopter footage from England-Italy pre-game courtesy of ESPN3, and I think there is generally a lack of good places around the stadium for a tailgate. There's very little parking, and every surrounding property seems to be fenced off. I found two exceptions that are shown in the attachment.

Parcel A - Small parking lot
    Parcel B - Small parking lot with some grassy area

Parcel B looks like a great spot if the gate is open. Nice, open grassy area for kicking a ball around and also plenty of trees for shade. Parcel A I think is a slightly inferior location but should be open and may offer some shade.

Weather:
    I'm okay with 90 degree weather, but if it's pouring rain and we have no cover, my friends and I may have to drop out.

Time:
    Game time is 6 pm. I'd say we wrap up no later than 4:30 since the lines to get into the stadium for England-Italy looked horrific. Not sure what time my group can get there; I'm guessing 2 pm.

Necessities:
    I have an obnoxiously American playlist and a loud portable speaker. We can bring a soccer ball or frisbee. My group can bring a few beers and some food, but probably not enough for more than a few people. If someone wants to take initiative with food and drinks, that would be huge.

Attached Files:

17. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    I actually live right across the street from Parcel B. It's a private area, but it was open before yesterday's match.

Pseudonym repped this.
  18. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leaving the states today for Manaus, see everyone on Friday! It's gonna be a blast!

wixson7 repped this.
  19. recordcrate

recordcrate New Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One extra PMA Cat 3 for USA v POR if anyone is short. I'm already in Manaus.

20. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    Hate to repeat myself, but there's a demand among locals. I have several friends who would love to attend this match. If you have any extras let me know I'll arrange face value pay. You can reach me in Manaus @ 55 92 99032760.

Real Corona repped this.
  21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is that so many people who won't be making it couldn't make it because they aren't here.

22. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    I hear you. Gotta be a logistic nightmare to fly in fromNatal and then back to Recife. Not to mention how expensive everything in Manaus is.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll regret it.

24. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    It is setting up to be a historic night tomorrow at Arena Amazônia. I'll witness it.

Piffy187 repped this.
  25. Piffy187

Piffy187 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    FL
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lucky mofos, i send nothing but the best wishes and all the positivity to all of you that will be there. I want all of you to be the loudest you can be, keep on screaming and singing regardless of what happens. Im sure (especially the coach) remembers 02, make em remember 2014. USA! USA! USA!!!