US players going to Sweden

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by caliswede, Jan 12, 2007.

1. caliswede

caliswede New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Hey soccer friends in the U.S. I've read in the newspaper that a couple of young americans are on their way over to Sweden to tryout for a division I-club.

Matt Blouin, mf, fw, Marquette Golden Eagles. Born 1985

Joshua Okoampa, fw, UW Green Bay. Born 1984

It would be interesting to know more about these two guys. How well did they do in college? What are their strengths?

This club, Visby Gute, is a decent division I team (third highest league) in Sweden.

Since there since to be a lot of smart soccer people here on this forum, I figure I could ask...

All the best from Stockholm!

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Welcome! I'm not familiar with either player, but here's some basic background info:

http://gomarquette.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/blouin_matt01.html

http://uwgbathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/okoampa_joshua00.html

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Wait, someone in Wisconsin actually plays soccer?

4. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Perhaps you've never heard of Tony Sanneh. Signed, Jay DeMerit

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just to clarify, DeMerit is from Wisconsin; Sanneh went to college in Wisconsin but is from Minne-SOH-ta.

Former US international Jimmy Banks is both from Wisconsin and went to college there.

CUSA MF Jesse Marsch and current KC assistant and ex-MLSer Kris Kelderman is also from Wiscosnin, as is U20 and Crew back Tim Ward.

Also, in 1995 Wisconsin won the NCAA men's soccer tournament which is the only national champion since 1983 to not have a player play a minute in MLS (assuming anyone from UCSB's team goes on to play in MLS).

But I digress.:D Go Sweden!

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    SFS went to school at the same time/place as Jimmy Banks and a certain Sasho Cirovski.

Yes, the Bunker Bob era.