US Open Cup

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by SideshowBob, Jun 12, 2008.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the pairings for the 2008 US Open Cup third round (when MLS teams enter) were released today. DCU will be hosting their first game on July 1 at the Maryland Soccerplex at 7:30pm. The opponent will be either the Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL-2) or the Rochester Rhinos (USL-1).

Keep in mind that the winner of the US Open cup gets a CCL berth next year.

2. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Too bad all of the matches are scheduled for the 1st -otherwise I would have proposed a road trip to root against the RedBulls as they either play Harrisburg City in PA or Crystal Palace Baltimore in their first round.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit!!! I would have LOVED to go and do that if the game was against Crystal Palace!

4. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be funny if the matchup for DCU had been versus Real Maryland at the Soccerplex (then again, it could still be in a later round....) -- who would be the home team?

5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, what TIME are the games? You might still be able to pull it off.

I imagine they are all at night, but you never know.

6. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    hopefully this is the only match up there (whats gg on at RFK that day that goff said was being used?) as we should be hosting all home games as we had a better record than anyone last year
    (assuming they still base it off that)

7. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I don't think they based hosting remotely on record. I believe teams submit bids to host and the USSF picks the site.

2. While we might see RFK used for games against other MLS teams, we'll probably continue to see the Soccerplex if it is USL opponents. Playing at RFK against a lower division opponent is a really bad money loser. These games don't generally bring in enough people to warrant a huge venue.

8. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Would that be a different story if/when United move into a new stadium, however?

I ask this because on the same day as this match (1 July - Canada Day!) Toronto FC will host the Vancouver Whitecaps in the Canadian Championship, and will play that game at BMO Field (as opposed to Lamport Stadium, where TFC Academy is one of the home teams).

9. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    ok Goff said if we move on to the quarters on the 8th or 9th if we were to host, it would be at the soccerplex again :(
    ahhhhhhhh whats up wih RFK having something to do?
    but on the brightside, hopefully the 1st match will be moved to the 2nd due to landycakes and becksberry match, so we can all go up to UMBC and go shit on the metroturds!

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be noted that the DCU F.O. is trying to get the match moved to the next day, Wednesday July 2, because we play LA at home on the previous Sunday. The team wants more than 48 hours between matches.

To me, that's a sign that they're likely to take this game more seriously than they've taken USOC matches in the past.

Goff also notes that if we advance, and we host the next round, that round would also be at the SoccerPlex.

EDIT: Paulie needs to get out of my head.

11. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    hmm - wonder if the DC FO will have any control over the July 16th matchdate. As it would occur less than 24hrs after we play Atlante in Superliga.

12. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will most likely be different at a new SSS. I'd expect all these types of games to be played at such a stadium. The big differences being (1) that RFK is fairly large, so a few thousand seem even more empty there than they would in a SSS and (2) more importantly, RFK is expensive to rent and DCU would never have enough ticket sales from these USOC games to make the financials work. Owning/running a SSS is a difference story.

As for TFC playing the Canadian USL teams, that's a completely different issue. Those are the only other professional soccer teams in Canada, so of course there is more interest in Toronto. And those cities already have rivalries in other sports, so these soccer games just tie into that.

How much interest would there be if TFC were playing Rochester? I'd gather much less than playing Vancouver despite the proximity, simply because the Rhinos are in the US.

13. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    its the 8th or 9th....i ment round of 16, not the 16th.....my bad

btw look at who we could face if we actually win.....CHICAGO! ahhhh
    if we play them, sure hope we host them!
    and sideshow, im sure that would be at RFK if we were to host IF RFK is available, which doent look like it, we have had USOC matches at RFK in the past.
    Chicago-united, would easily draw 10k-14k if not more

14. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

But a TFC game against Rochester would not count for CONCACAF Champions' League qualifying, whereas United's game against the Rhinos does (the USOC winner gets one of the USA's 4 CCL slots, yes?) - so while there is an absolute difference between the scale of the NCC compared to USOC, there is still a relative question worth asking - especially if it turns out that the only route that United end up having into the 2009-10 CCL is to try and win the US Open Cup.

And as far as the RFK rent goes, what about a potential place in the USOC final, again with a CCL place on the line (if it came to that) - would it be worth turning to RFK as a venue then?

15. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Goff just updated - that is not necessarily the case. The bracket is apparently misleading.

16. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saying, but no one has said what exactly the qualifying criteria is for next year's CCL.

Just saying...

:)

Good luck in the USOC

17. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what type of turnout can we expect from the SGs at the soccerplex games?

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I'll be there.

Scruggsy - probably not!

19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first United game I ever saw was the U.S. Open Cup match between our guys and the Pittsburgh Riverhounds at the Plex in 2003. While attending USOC games at the Soccerplex may be awkward for some because of the location, it's a tremendous facility to watch a professional game because the seating (capacity 4,000 or so) puts everybody right on top of the field. Expect the game to be close to being sold out. The bad news, of course, is that, ahum, adult beverages are not sold at the Plex or permitted to be consumed on Soccerplex grounds.

I'll be there!

20. PoliGuru

PoliGuru New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    So, do we play our full lineup or do we throw the reserves in this one?

21. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    They've been throwing the reserves for the last few years... I doubt things will change.

22. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily, this year the reserves will probably be all we need. Rochester is very poor this year and Pittsburgh just flat out sucks. And I'm not just saying that because I'm from Cleveland. They still have not won a match nine games into the season.

23. PoliGuru

PoliGuru New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Hopefully that will be enough, as Rochester has won 3 out of its last 4.

24. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhh... I'd like to win this bad boy and guarantee our position in the Champion's League next season.