US Open Cup Semifinal vs. Dallas 9/3 [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Sep 3, 2002.

1. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well tonights the big game. One more win and we can defend our Championship in a proper manner.

Should be a good crowd I would have to expect, but then again it's a tuesday after a 3 day weekend, so that could hurt things a bit. Who knows.

Dallas is basically conceding the regular MLS season by fielding reserves last Sunday vs. Colorado, and keeping his team fresh for the game tonight; a big risk they are taking.

While not in the same overscheduled situation as Dallas, we do have another game on Saturday, and had one last Saturday, should we rest Lalas, or should we go for it?

2. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say we bring in Lalas. Let's bring in the big guns when we need it most. The Open Cup is something we should take seriously.

3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seriously yes, but at the behest of knocking San Jose in their proper place below us?

4. undergroundfc

undergroundfc New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    US Open Semi: LA vs Dal

Hey...who here going to the galaxy/burn game today at fullerton at 8; sept. 3...

its either gonnna be a rout (thanks to our very own RUIZ) or a goal by lalas in last 10 min through OT...

SHOW UP FOR GAME...LETS HAVE A LARGE CROWD..

5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: US Open Semi: LA vs Dal

I'll be there.

6. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starters
    DAL: GK-Jordan, D-Suarez, D-Bonseu, D-Morrow, D-Broome, M-Vaca, M-Deering, M-Pareja, M- Martinez, F-Kreis, F-Cerritos

LA: GK-Reis, D-Hendrickson, D-Califf, D-Lalas, D-Marshall, M-Jones, M-Vagenas, M-Cienguegos, M-Elliott, M-Victorine, F-Ruiz

As of the 47th minute:

LA 3
    Dallas Nil

No really!

LA: Ruiz (Victorine) 11
    LA: Cienfuegos (Ruiz) 17
    LA: Jones (Ruiz) 35

7. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Albright in for Ruiz in the 68th minute. C'mon Chris show us what you've got!!!

Ronnie O'Brien enters for Joselito Vaca in the 65th minute.

Eddie Johnson for Kreis at the half.

8. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    81st minute Kiwi nails a PK to make it 4-Nil.

Notes:

Stone in for Pareja.
    Bobby Rhine replaces Tenywa Bonseu .

Mullan for Cobi.
    Frye for Marshal.
    Bengard (he's still on the team?) for Cien.

9. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the matchtracker:

"89' - Refusing to quit the Burn pulls one back as Martinez swings a cross into the box for Ronald Cerritos who nods the ball home from close range. Reis can only watch as his shutout disappears."

Damn, I really wanted Mattie to get a clean sheet.

10. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first game was as classy as i have seen from any team in a while. The Jones goal was pure magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1 final.

HOT DAMN, now that was a beatin'!!! Way to go G's! Now on to the final and fire Sigi! Oh whoops, did I say that? Not to turn this into another one of "those" threads, but damn kids, results speak for themselves, someone buy that man a beer! Yea, I'm talking to you PZ, go buy Sigi a twelver of St. Pauli Girl and send my warmest regards.

12. undergroundfc

undergroundfc New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    EVERYONE WHO WAS AT GAME..

what happend to taht guy who was kicked out stadium, what he do?

and u gotta love the chants.

13. undergroundfc

undergroundfc New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    game owned..

hey..two things

1) the galaxian fan who got kicked out of stadium, what did he do...

2) the CHANTS ruled...havent heard those kind of quality disses in a while, specially on Suarez...funny stuff

..........galaxy all the way...........

we winning US OPEN CUP AND MLS CUP....

u know it...

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    dude it should have totally been 5-1, two clear penalties were waved away... the ref sucked all night. it seemed dallas got away with way more than we did.

man did they blow. i mean they had lots of possesion in the second half but barely tested reis... the goal they got was scrappy...

oh well on to the final! october 26th for the the treble!

15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Of course October 26th is the day I'm getting married, if you G's are reading this, you better win it for me!

16. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI.. the fan that got kicked out was a RIOT SQUAD member who told a Cal State security guard the realities of life.

Nothing was thrown, no physical actions were taken... it was 100% a verbal censorship action.

tmack

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to life behind the Orange Curtain. Make sure your papers are in order before you venture south of Long Beach.

18. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Did one of you go into the locker rooms after the game?

I've read three game stories, not a single one had a quote from a Burn player or coach.

Did he refuse questions, or just say anything printable?

19. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    That first half is proof-positive that MLS teams are on par with clubs in any league. We led 3-nil, and yet both teams showed a lot of good soccer.

Galaxy have not played a better half in years. That was some beautiful, beautiful soccer. Anyone griping about the level of play in MLS, find a tape of this one. Just great stuff.

20. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    actually, I put it on a brand new tape, and when I get home it's going up in flames.

And not in the fireplace either.

21. Fulhamfan

Fulhamfan New Member

Oct 17, 1999
    Valley

cybersoccernews apparently did get quotes, later deadlines I suspect.

This really may play into the Galaxy's hand's, Dallas now has to play the desperate MetroStars tomorrow. Should they lose,that would be a major conference competitor falling to the side of the road.

Dallas rolled the dice for the silverware and lost - big time

Linda

22. Meggie

Meggie New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: US Open Semi: LA vs Dal

me too

23. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic game

That was an excellant game.... the look on the Tele was from the same vantage point as you get when watching premiership futbol on Fox sports world.

And it looked just like it !!!

The galaxy's one touch soccer was superior, their spacing was incredible, the give and goes, the flick on's and the drop off's... they pulled every classy move in the book on the burn.

i thought i was watching arsenal out there.

But i really think a nice cherry on the top of this triple scoop baskin robbins sunday would have been if , Simon Elliott knocked out that little twerp pareja.

should got him some " Fosters " courage and gone krazy kiwi allover that pinche' migeto'.

24. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Even if we win, LA and SJ will retain a game in hand for the final two weeks of the regular season. We ceded control of our own destiny in the supporters shield race when we played all reserves in Colorado and lost. Now if we don't WIN on Thursday we will also lose control of our own destiny in the drive for a first round playoff series at home. And we'll be playing on ONE day's rest.

A costly wager indeed.

25. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I cannot evaluate how tired the Burn players will be, having watched Dallas and New York back to back, I have a hard time seeing how NY can win the Thursday game. Dallas was better organized, better coached and had better chances. NY is a team at war with itself. The only reason they might do better is they know they are playing without the distraction of Diallo, so MAYBE Clint and Faria can work together.