US Open Cup not getting enough attention?

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Vandervaart, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not surprising that it doesn't make sense to you. It *is* unusual, compared to how things work everywhere but here. But that's the way it is here -- generally speaking, teams at the MLS level and their fans don't care that much about the USOC. In my opinion, it sucks: I really wish people cared about the USOC more. There's been years and years of discussion online about why this is and what could change it. Personally, I hoped that when CONCACAF decided last year that winning the USOC got you into international play, interest in the USOC among MLS fans would increase; but they haven't really.

I don't think it's going to change until the Federation and the League *act* like the USOC matters more. If
    • the USOC winner got more money than the MLS Cup winner;
    • the USOC winner got a better bid into the CONCACAF Champions League than the MLS Cup winner (rather than a play-in matchup, which is what the USOC winner gets now);
    • MLS demonstrated the importance of the USOC by somehow scheduling free weekends for Cup play (the way other countries do -- *very* hard here); and
    • the USOC winner was heavily hyped as being the champion of the US,
    then I think people would act differently about it. But as long as it looks small-time, and as long as the League treats it like an afterthought, I can't imagine enthusiasm for it being very large. Which bums me out.

2. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but accepting Seattle's bid would mean having the match at a crappy time for *both* fan bases.

I don't understand why Seattle didn't put in a bid involving a different stadium in the Seattle area. Certainly there has to be something there other than Qwest that's larger than Tukwila. That would also give the opportunity to have the final on an actual grass field -- a good thing, since IMHO it's a complete embarassment for the final match of any competition to ever, ever, ever be held on turf.

3. Neemtree

Neemtree Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No there are no Seattle area stadiums over 5,000 capacity with a grass field.

Yes I think we could put 32k into Qwest on a weekday the Mariners who play next door average over 25k for their weekday afternoon games and the Sounders averaged more fans than them per game. Qwest is located right at the south end of downtown is an easy walk for anyone working in the downtown core. Even if the game didn't sell out we would still draw at least twice if not three times the crowd that is going to attend at RFK.

The argument was that Seattle was a bad choice because of time slot and TV ratings. If that is the main consideration why would you pick a start time that will drive down ratings in your largest viewing market.

4. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while i have no doubt that you guys would outdraw a DC crowd given the same time at RFK (afterall, it is your guys' frst run at a trophy since joining MLS), you are still absolutely delusional to think the Qwest would sell out @1pm on a Tuesday.

5. Neemtree

Neemtree Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't agree if the Mariner's can draw 25k on average for a Thursday day game and we average more fans per game then they do why is it such a leap to argue we should be able to draw a comparable crowd? The last Open cup gaem sold out 4800 tickets in six hours for a game in a suburban stadium well south of Seattle on a Tuesday. Would there be more demand if the game was later in the day, yes, does that mean we can't draw a very large crowd for a mid day game, no.

6. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC

7. Neemtree

Neemtree Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's true then I'm fine with it. My only objection is if US Soccer left money on the table to get a better TV time slot. If is was an objective bidding process and we were outbid I have no complaint.

8. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

how was your attendance at your last Tuesday afternoon game? :rolleyes: the truth is, you'll never know until that happens. i have no doubt you guys would put up impressive numbers for a USOC final (especially your first), but you won't sell out Qwest on a weekday afternoon.

as for your logic, comparing yourselves to the Mariners is comparing apples to oranges because a) they play many more games in a season than you guys do, and b) you guys play mainly on the weeekends. you're right in the fact that the last Open Cup game was on a Tuesday, but it was on a Tuesday night. it's much easier to pop out of work for a game @4pm than it is at 11am.

9. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real solution to all of this is simple: the final should be at a neutral site. Of course, until a heck of a lot more people care about this Cup, that ain't gonna happen. Yet another thing that bums me out.

10. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christ, I really really really really hate everything about the Sounders. Fans, media, ownership, everything.

13. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From you, that is a compliment. Suck your badge.

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you are seriously one of the biggest douchebags on this entire site. You make Mike Segroves seem reasonable. You make Andy Mead look patient. You make monster appear to be uncynical. And you've managed to out-attention whore Jade1MLS.

17. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A list you, alas, are also often listed on by other BSers.

18. carella211

carella211 Member

Apr 6, 2009
    2-0-6!
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    WE CARE!!! just because your franchise doesn't, doesn't mean others don't. winning this cup has been a stated goal of this team from the begining. the fans want this trophy. the players want it. the fo wants it. it's time for the rest of the league to get over their hatred/jealousy of seattle and step to the plate and do it's part to advance the league and the game of soccer in america. and YES we WOULD have SOLD OUT qwest, NO PROBLEM! again, you SEVERELY underestimate how popular the sounders are in this town. people who aren't even sports fans want to know how the team did after a game. everywhere you go people are talking about the team. it's THE place to be seen in seattle. THE event to go to. the sounders are just as popular as the seahawks, and probably more popular than the mariners.

19. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sort of thing, in a nutshell, is why you guys have developed the reputation you have with pretty much everyone.

Grow up.

21. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good post. So there are steps taken to popularize the US Open Cup. It might be that it's just a matter of time, i.e. a gradual increase in prestige and popularity over the years. Hopefully not at the pace of an ice glacier though..

22. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to Payner, too. Then all is well.

23. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what you mean here. There are definitely steps that *could* be taken. I don't know if they ever will be. One problem is that the league doesn't make money off the USOC -- individual teams do, but the league does not. Thus, the league doesn't have much incentive to show the USOC some respect, and they actually have some disincentives to do so in that the league would rather not have games they don't control competing for this country's limited pool of money spent on attending soccer matches.

24. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you upset with? That Payne called Hanauer out for Hanauer's suggestion that the bid system was corrupt? It was a childish thing for Hanauer to suggest.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp.