Post-match: US Open Cup Final DC v Charleston

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the games rescheduled, or is the date on the USOC site wrong? I'm positive this has been previously posted but I'm not one to lurk around for long on another team's boards. Thanks.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was rescheduled to deconflict with the MLS teams scheduled CCL dates. the original date was Aug. 26 and the new date is Sep 3.

3. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    If you haven't seen it yet, you need to check out the video that Kyle put up on Behind the Badge of clips from our past Championships. It is under the title "Will You Be There?"

http://www.behindthebadge.com/

Loved watching all the spectacular moments of our history but I have to say I just about cracked up when on the screen came this statement:

The road to a championship

is a long and difficult one.........

And I thought to myself "unless it is the US Open Cup!" :p

However, we will damn well take two Cups this Wednesday and I'll have a side of Champions League 2009 to go!

Vamos United!

4. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Have you ever driven on Germantown Road during rush hour?

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's your problem -- not getting to the tailgate well before time.

6. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...or try and get out the parking lot after a match. Yeesh. RFK can clear lots faster than Germantown with like four or five times the attendance.

7. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    So last night around 9 I get a call from Jaime. He tells me about the US Open Cup Championship and what it means and how he wants the support of the best fans in MLS.

I tried to explain to him that I had spent about 20 minutes earlier that evening trying to purchase my tickets via the account manager but couldn't buy the additional tickets I needed to the season tickets I have and realized I couldn't get my normal seats if I went thru the normal ticketmaster purchase procedure plus they would be more expensive.

So he ends by saying if you would like to purchase tickets press 1. So I press 1 and the phone rings about 6 times and then silence. I stay on the line for about 30 seconds (I guess I am not the eternal optomist) and realize there is no one in the office to take my order.

I don't know why but I found this rather funny. Maybe I should call Zack and he can set me up in the Battery section, which by the way, they have moved down to section 227 because we are not buying enough seats. Just kidding about calling Zack but we obviously need to sell more tickets.

8. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you look in that account manager online thing, they usually bill season ticket holders for games not in the tix package in "outstanding invoices" or something like that. That's where I found my season ticket seat ready for purchase for the match.

9. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Yes, I saw that but I wanted to purchase additional tickets next to or nearby and it doesn't allow for that. Be sort of silly to invite friends to a game and not sit with them.

Still it was cool to have Jaime call me.

And I am still learning what I can and can not do through my account manager.

10. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    ...and if THAT doesn't get you fired up, you have no business being here.

12. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the problem is there is no way no how that i get the day off to see the game.

OR I would be here in United gear rooting for the team.

I got the call today too, I will be watching on TV though after i manage to get myself home from work.

13. Boda United

Boda United Member

Apr 18, 2003
    No. Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to the game! Coming in on I-66, planning on leaving Front Royal around 4:00. Should I Metro it from West Falls Church or drive in past the 5 sided building? Thanx in advance for any suggestions. I hate weekday games!

14. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yellow and Blue lines shut down in section near me, so if like me in Northern Virginia, I believe take a shuttle to the Orange line.

15. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a few days, I want that cup!

16. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Has anyone buffed up the Coffee Pot Cup yet? We need a picture of that also!

Watched the Battery play Puerto Rico to a draw tonight. I don't think they started all their best 11. PR certainly did not after playing in CR two days ago.

Lazo played AM and didn't seem very strong. John Wilson was John Wilson. Solid defending (especially against the speed of PR) with good runs forward. But nothing came from the runs. Steve Armstrong came on late and played right wing even though he is left footed. They also brought on a speedy African named Kenga on the left. Spicer, their striker really didn't have many opportunities tonight. And when he did, took one extra touch too many. Alonso, their DM looks like we can pressure him to cough up the ball. The thing that was impressive was they all ran all match long. So when we maintain possession we really have to maintain our shape or we will be vulnerable to the counters that many teams score on us.

Looking forward to seeing Emilio take on Akwari. If they don't use him on Luci, then Luci will have a hat trick.

My .02.

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patterson usually starts up top in Spicers spot. Armstong usually in Richardsons spot. and Alonso will run forever.

Im looking forward to the match

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is AWFUL LATE to be leaving Front Royal. I would leave at 2:00 :) You may be so disgusted with the traffic at the I-66 merger with the Toll Road that you'll want to get off and take the train at EFC (Exit 69), but 66 will get better after the Ballston exit (71) - However, then your next bad traffic will be I-395N (assuming you're taking 110 from 66) getting across the bridges.
    I guess it depends on whether you want to have your car handy (I always do), and whether you want to ride the train back to your car or get in and drive home.
    To help make up your mind while you drive in, listen to WTOP (103.5), they do traffic "on the 8s".

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kind of off topic but a few people who are driving up for the match were wondering how much parking cost?

also they are putting us in Lot 3 for a tailgate. Will they be able to park there cars there or is that a bus only parking lot? If it is bus only where would the best place to park be? I looked at the map on the DC website but I figured you guys would know what works and doesnt work.

thanks for any info

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Parking is usually about $12. Lot 3 is way over on the other side from us so I'm not sure if they have attendants taking money there. Most DC fans use Lot 8 and given that they're not really expecting a huge crowd I doubt they will staff it. The DCSEC hates us to begin with. Even when Barcelona played AC Milan the parking situation was beyond rediculous. Best bet Mikey, is to call the DC front office on Monday and try and get an answer but I wouldn't bet on it. Probably best to park in Lot 8 and walk over to Lot 3

21. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Lonnie, you bringing the rug??

GM

22. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    When dealing with all of this, remember that DCU does not control parking, it is the hands of the woefully inept Stadium Authority. In other words DCU can "suggest" how your parking should be handled and will be helpful, but they do not have the last word on what happens. In other words, expect the absolute worst so you will be pleasantly surprised by anything better.

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Uh, yeah. Pretty much what griff said...

24. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I don't pretend to understand the ways of NoVA/DC traffic, so I avoid it as much as possible. I travel up from C'ville, taking 29 to 66. Why not go to Vienna (exit 62) and metro in from there. The metro ride takes 45 minutes, so you can plan your time accordingly. I've been doing this for 13 years and have had few problems.

asitis

25. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the replies, Ill pass on the info.

makes it difficult to tailgate together as Im sure some people wont want to tramp to the far side of the stadium with a cooler and then back again after the match. But im sure we'll work it all out. but if you see random Battery fans wandering around, please dont send them the wrong way!

we are trying to get as many people to bring me their coolers to take on the bus. That way if we break down on the way, we will have an excess of beer and food! under the bus!

Is it Wed. yet?:D