Post-match: US Open Cup Final DC v Charleston

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, Aug 13, 2008.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Well, I still have that slab of beef that you were carrying around! :)

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh, I might just have it laying around...

[​IMG]

3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you were that slab he was hauling around :eek:

4. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    They better consider this the most important game of the year as far as I am concerned. It might be the only thing they win all year.

5. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Texas
    Your boys better take care of business. The MLS and American club soccer is better when DC is winning trophies. United has been the flagship franchise of this league and an Open Cup win will help maintain that elite status. For the good of the league, I cheer for United when they are not up against my Hoops.

6. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    First, dude, feel free to move here. Except for that last little bit (something about Hops, which we all recognize as an important component of beer), you'd fit in perfectly.

As for the game, this is our biggest game of the year bar none. Reputation is about winning, and winning consistently. Getting in international tourneys is key. We should come out with maximum intensity. No excuses, no holding back, our best team and best effort.

Take care of business.

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    uh huh

8. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Can't wait for this f'ing game. I had intended to go to the semi's against NE but, as it turns out, I had to be in New Orleans on business that day. So, awwww, poor me, I had to be on Burbon St. that night instead. I'm so pleased that not only did we win but the Battery did to, thus ensuring I get to see the final. Yeee-haw. This is for silverware MF-er's. Don't screw this up.

9. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This means you have to go back to NO for the final. And you have to take me with you.

Yeah, that's what it means.

If you want DC to win you must.

10. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing as Charleston defeated both Houston and Dallas to get to the final, I don't think you could be more mistaken.

After all, they've got one more win against Houston than DCU does this season...

11. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    good point.

are you saying a usl 1 team is as good as an mls team.

DC should win this 4-0 or 4-1 factoring in a wells screw up

12. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about the score, just win this!

13. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course a USL team isn't generally as good as an MLS team. Charleston would end bottom of the table if they played in the MLS.

However, this isn't a season. This is a knockout tournament, and as Charleston has already shown FCD and the Dynamo, ANYTHING can happen.

Do you know which DC United team is going to walk out on the pitch? The one that lost 4-1 to RBNY or the one that defeated the Mighty Superliga Champions (lol) last week? I sure as hell don't know. I know which one I HOPE comes out....but let's be honest, as the season table and SuperLiga shows, it could go either way....

"The ball is round, The game lasts 90 minutes..." everything else? Who knows.

I think you are severely underestimating Charleston. That's all.

14. TowsonDad

TowsonDad BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 1, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Wells willl not be in this one,,,;)

15. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Yeah - I was in Charleston for the semi and they are not a team to sleep on. Dusty Huddock would start on a good deal of MLS teams and Wilson looks like he has gotten his legs back. And you can bet they wil be fresh as they will be treating this as the biggest game in their history - we won't have the same luxury to rest all our players the week leading up to the game.

I think we win but it is not going to be a blowout by any means.

16. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    if the team that lost to NYRB shows up, they should all be fired.

17. keltick

keltick New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    New Orleans

Sadly, I will be in NOLA for the finals.. but I live here. Maybe an exchange program is called for.

18. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    After what happened this year in the NCC, and seeing how there were plenty of MLS teams which went out against USL teams in this year's USOC, there is no reason to take this match lightly - unless one would rather see the Battery follow the example of the Montréal Impact in qualifying to the Champions' League ahead of MLS opposition.

Oh, is there any word on whether the game will be online?

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how that's relevant. Red Bull is not a great team and they were a horrible team at that point in the season and were playing on the road. We should be none of those things. We might even have Gallardo and Peralta back by then.

20. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I'm expecting a really great game out of this. I hope we get a good crowd at RFK as well.

21. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It bears repeating that the Jersey team we got spanked by recently is not the same team we spanked earlier in the season. Look at their starting lineup for the two games: half the ten field players were different; three of those five were recent big money acquisitions who have been playing pretty damn well since being brought in, and one was Angel (who was out with injury when we played them). Don't think Jersey can be disregarded -- they're a significantly better team now.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly... their loss to crystal Palace isn't relevant. We should still be careful with Charleston, but the Red Bull/Palace game has little bearing here. Charleston beating some good MLS teams is a little more important to think about.

23. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You aren't calling this years edition a "great" team are you?

24. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USLlive.com has been showing the USL/MLS USOC matchups for free...yes, ladies and gents, the best of all prices. Although the game link doesn't typically show up till a few hours before KO, here's the main link: USLlive.com

25. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since it's on FSC, you'll be able to get it on SOPcast.

It should be listed on myp2p.eu . But it won't show up there until a day or maybe even hours before the match.

I believe justin.tv also has an FSC channel.