US Open Cup 2015

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by QuietType, Apr 9, 2015.

1. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we are set to play the winner of the Burlingame Dragons (PDL) and Sonoma County Sol (NPSL) on Wednesday, May 20. Not sure of a venue but I assume SRFC would host?

If we win the second round game we would be matched up with either an NASL team or the winner of another 3rd round game; my inclination would be the later, as the USOC tends to be geographically friendly, so possibly a west coast team if we get that far. Round 4 would be vs an MLS team, possibly the Quakes again. Here's hoping SRFC can make a deep run!

2. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  3. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will be playing Sonoma County Sol on May 20th. Woot! Let's go Republic!

They also had the draw for the potential Third Round matchups today. If we beat the Sol, we will move on to play the winner of Arizona United vs Chula Vista. We lucked out in that we are not facing a NASL team, but I think the fact that we are out west had something to do with that anyway. The Fourth Round will add in all of the MLS teams, if we make it that far, could be playing the Quakes again, or another west coast team.

Hopefully we dispatch the Sol, and move on to the Third Round!

SierraSpartan and Robdog repped this.
  4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm wondering if they'll stream this game.

Seems to me they didn't do that for USOC games last year.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This just popped up ...

Outstanding!

Now I just have to get home by 7:30. Probably gonna cut it pretty close.

Robdog and mangerson repped this.
  6. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this on the Brotherly Game, a Phil. Union blog:

"It appears as though the U.S. Open Cup will be played on natural grass. ... That being said, there is a disclaimer that allows the Cup Commissioner to waive or modify the requirements for "good cause." That can be read as possibly allowing a lower-division team who has a turf field to host a match if there's no alternative, however it's entirely possible this could be used to allow these teams to host a match on the turf. We'll see though."

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2015/5/18/8616311/2015-us-open-cup-usoc-rules

I haven't found the rules of competition posted anywhere so I can't post anything to support this. A cup game at either Avaya or SJ @ Bonney would be great.

8. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    ...but it may not happen...

Last year, the Union beat the Harrisburg City Islanders in the Fourth Round of the tournament. There was a bit of controversy as the Union didn't allow any of the players they had sent on loan to play against the club. This won't be an issue this year, as both the rules regarding playing affiliates and playing loan players have changed. First, the only round that can possibly feature a club playing its lower division affiliate will be the Final. Other than that, the tournament will prevent the affiliates and parent clubs playing one another.

Not sure how they can accomplish that on the west coast, or what the definition of an "affiliate" is...is it like F2 and Flounders, or a more distant relationship like us and SJE?

QuietType repped this.
  9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like it's all affiliates, not just the "MLS 2" teams, because it directly references Philadelphia and Harrisburg. That's interesting, that makes it sound like Sac and SJ could not play each other until the final. Not like the affiliation has meant much of anything this year... :rolleyes:

10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kind of worried about starting reserves.. I have full confidence in our regular squad but the backups filling out positions are at a lower level. Sonoma County is 6-0-1 in their season, sure it's NPSL but hard to gauge just how much of a challenge they will be with a record like that. They just beat the Quakes' PDL side Burlingame, I hope we can take care of them comfortably and not risk too much. If they want to take the Open Cup seriously, which Preki says he does and I certainly do, we need to play to win every round.

11. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize that but given the statement " the Cup Commissioner to waive or modify the requirements for 'good cause'" it is vague enough to possibly apply to affiliations. I think since our affiliation with SJ seems to be in name only, it may still be a possibility.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We have beaten the mighty Sonoma County Sol.

Next up fearsome Chula Vista!

Did I really just write fearsome Chula Vista?

Oy ...

Robdog repped this.
  13. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Tough night for the USL west. Scum2, AZU, and OC all went down, and S2 went AET against Kitsap.

14. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, after beating Arizona United 3-0, maybe they're not so bad. Check out these other scores from tonight:

Ventura County Fusion (PDL) 2:1 Galaxy II, love that.
    OC Blues 1:2 PSA Elite (USASA)
    NY Red Bull 0:1 Jersey Express (PDL), love that, too.
    Chattanooga FC (NPSL) 1:1 Wilmington Hammerheads (5:3 PK's)

So, we get a USASA team instead of NASL. Don't know whether to love that or be disappointed. After Stewart's injury it will be nice to play the subs again, so I guess I like it.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't think we were in line to get an NASL team anyway. I think it was always either Chula Vista or Arizona.

I'm a little annoyed we can't face San Jose. It's not like they act like our affiliate!

Until you face an MLS team, nobody is going to remember who you beat along the way. So advancing is advancing.

16. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the results look to me like a number of teams were not too enthusiastic about the US Open.

after losing Stewart and Guzman tonight, and learning we probably wont face the local "rival" MLS team, im not sure SRFC should enthusiastically embrace the tournament either.

17. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    That Sol player that got Stewart was in desperate need for some on-field justice and not just the yellow from the bat-blind center ref.

18. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Draw for the 4th round is today.

19. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    The MLS NYRB? WTF o_O

20. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB Jr.

Robdog repped this.
  21. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, reportedly, they played all players under USL contract and one player from their U-16 academy team.

23. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, so much for those "rules."

24. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good news regarding Tommy Stewart. looks like a strain and contusion.
    i would have bet it was broken seeing the play and then him on the physio table last night. there were a lot of long faces from the trainers as they examined him.

hope Guzman's injury is minor.

25. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Rules, schmules.

Well, it'll be an opportunity for the TBB to go down and take over the LOBINA.