US - Nigeria WWC pre-game talk

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by MichaelR, Sep 23, 2003.

1. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    How will April change her lineup for the Nigeria game? Will Aly Wagner get on the field, given her yellow card? Will the back line be the same as the second half of the Sweden game?

I think it might be best to give Siri the start in goal, since the Super Falcons' volatile style may bait Briana into a display like the one in the Sweden game where she got a yellow card. We want to make sure Scurry is not suspended for the North Korea game, where the spectacular save and intimidating presence may be needed.

2. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Protecting the players with Yellow Cards is not a bad idea, but I sort of doubt it will happen.

I don't think you break the pattern with your starting keeper unless you have to.

We might see more speed and less size up front, but thats about the only change I see coming.

Be interesting to see what happens in the back. I guess most likely is just a straight Reddick for Chastain, but there are other options.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    I would make three changes:

1) Move Sobrero to center, Reddick to LB, Pearce to RB
    2) Replace Parlow with Wagner, go to 4-4-2
    3) Replace Foudy with T. Roberts at right mid

OR

same as above, but replace Parlow with Milbrett, stay in 4-3-3.

As for GK, stick with Scurry even though I like Mullinix better.

As for subs, take Mia and Lilly out as early as practicable, and maybe even Fawcett if the U.S. is leading big after 75 minutes.

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    If I were April:

-----------------Mullinix

--Pearce-- Sobrero -- Fawcett -- Slaton

-----Foudy ------- Boxx ------- Hucles

-------------------Lilly

------------Hamm ---- MacMillan ----

Have at you, Falcons!

5. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    I agree with putting Kate in the middle, she has more experience. We may also see Millie in to start, she always has a good game against Nigeria.

6. EFCCoach

EFCCoach New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    Sorry but no way would I have MacMillan starting. I have always been a fan of MacMillan but she is not ready to start. Keep Abby in the starting lineup so you have a player on the front line to get the attention of their defenders. This will free Hamm allowing her to be more dangerous.

From what I saw in the last two warmup games I would not start Slaton either. Her first touch was very questionable while Reddick was making great service out of the back. I agree with moving Sobrero to the middle as she can't give you much of credible attack on the wings anyway. Reddick can start out wide.

I would also go with Allie instead of Hucles although Allie had a lackluster performance when she came in against sweden.

7. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I'm not sure I understand why the yellow card could cause Heinrichs to bench Wagner. If Wagner plays and picks up another yellow, she's out against North Korea. If she sits, then she can play against North Korea, but she's missed the game against Nigeria. So either way, she misses a game, and I don't see why it would be more important to have her against Korea than it would be to have her against Nigeria. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4-4-2, with Wagner in the midfield.

I don't think Millie should start against Nigeria -- she looked out of her league against Sweden, and Wambach and Hamm both looked so good. Then again, I'm not familiar with her history against Nigeria -- has she torn it up against them in the past?

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby for Mac, Aly instead of Hucles (with Lilly left), Scurry in goal and you'd have my lineup. I don't think April will do this.

I'd sub Hucles for Foudy as soon as possible (half if leading by 2) and sub Mia out early, too. The hope would be that Slaton's knee would be ok for 90 and the third sub could be for Abby or Lilly, whoever is getting the most abuse. I wouldn't have a problem with Reddick playing on the right (outside or inside) so that either Sobs or Pierce is ready for NK (with Reddick playing against NK)

9. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another hackfest?

Will this matchup be another mauling by the Nigerian squad and the match another candidate as an example in a referee training video?

I'd expect a physical lineup. If Mia starts, she gets pulled early - or comes on late for her protection...... but we'll just have to wait and see what the ladies have in store for us.

10. All my love for the Mac Attack, but if its a physical game i do not want her in there unless we need her. Way i see it is that we need Boxx, Wambach, and Parlow in there on Thursday, let them throw their size around a little bit.

This is a game that needs to start with intensity early. We need to put them away quickly.

11. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I totally agree. Here's my lineup:

Mullinix (save the Intimidator for North Korea)

Pearce - Sobrero - Fawcett - Reddick

Foudy - Boxx - Lilly
    Parlow

Hamm - Wambach

SUB: Wagner for Parlow at halftime. Just tell Parlow to let it rip for 45 minutes.
    SUB: Milbrett or Mac for Hamm if we're ahead by 3, or up by 2 with 20 minutes left.
    SUB: Hucles for Foudy or Lilly under the above conditions, depending on which one needs the rest or is taking a beating.

12. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    My starting eleven for USA vs Nigeria.

-------------------Scurry---------------------
    Pearce-----Fawcett------Sobrero------ Reddick
    -----Foudy---------Boxx----------Lilly---------
    ------------------ Hamm----------------------
    ------Parlow--------------------Wamback------
    (4-3-1-2)

======================================
    Subs if US is up by at least 2:

First Sub: Wagner for Parlow at 55-60min.
    (Move to 4-4-2)
    -------------------Scurry----------------------
    Pearce-----Fawcett------Sobrero------Reddick--
    Wagner-----Foudy---------Boxx----------Lilly---
    --------Wamback----------------Hamm---------

2nd Sub: Milbertt for Wamback at 65-70 min.
    ( Still 4-4-2)

3rd Sub: (Depends on the condition of players on the field)
    (Still 4-4-2)

Subs if USA is up by at least 1 goal :

First Sub: Milbertt for Parlow at 60-65 min.
    (Still 4-3-1-2)

2nd Sub: Wagner for Wamback at 70-75 min.
    (Move to 4-4-2)
    Pearce-----Fawcett------Sobrero------Reddick--
    Wagner-----Foudy---------Boxx----------Lilly---
    --------Milbertt----------------Hamm---------

3rd Sub: (depends on the condition of players on the field) (Still 4-4-2)

Subs if US is level or behind :

First Sub: MacMillian for Parlow at 55-60min.
    (Still 4-3-1-2)

2nd Sub: Wagner for Sobrero at 60-65 min.
    (Move to 3-2-3-2)
    -----Pearce----- Fawcett------ -Reddick------
    ------------Foudy---------Boxx-----------------
    ---Wagner ---------Hamm------------lilly-------
    ----------Wamback------- MacMillian------------

3rd Sub: (depends on the condition of players on the field)
    -------------------------------------------------

13. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    One thing that I think is missing from all this discussion is mention of Nigeria and what they have to offer (other than physical play). Yahoo has developed the best backgrounder sites. Here's the profile on Nigeria:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/03/en/t/team/nga/overview.html

Let me know if you are aware of another resource to background USWNT competitors.

14. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    Other factors to consider as well:
    1.The Super Falcons have a new coach who coached the women at Virginia Tech for many years as well as played for the Nigerian Men's National Team. He will probably bring a new perspective.

2. Merci and Florence have WUSA experience and played this past season on the W-League championship team, the Piranhas. They are more sophisticated in their approach to the game then before.

I do see a USA victory but the level of the match should be better than the last meeting.

15. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I sure hope so...

The last thing I want to see is another bloodfest overseen by a ref afraid to show the plastic. The last US/Nigeria WC matchup was brutal.

16. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    Re: God I sure hope so...

i'll take the same outcome nonetheless.

17. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most definitely...

and thank God that we have some depth, maybe the best depth of any nation in the WWC. We may need it to win it all.

[​IMG]

18. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article, thanks!

Nigerian coach remarking about losing to NKorea and now facing the US, "This is going to be a do-or-die affair."

Coach April... "said that it's not as important to "go big" against Nigeria as it was against Sweden, perhaps either Parlow or Wambach will come off the bench in favor of Tiffeny Milbrett, who came on in the second half for the U.S. on Sunday.

Other than that, there cannot be too many alterations to the lineup, as Brandi Chastain is unavailable for at least another week, and defender Danielle Slaton is still battling pain in her knee.

It's unlikely that Heinrichs would turn to Shannon MacMillan to play in such a physical match, either, as the 2002 U.S. Player of the Year is still only four months removed from an ACL tear in her right knee.

But, it could mean the insertion of playmaker Aly Wagner into the starting eleven, as the 23-year-old attacking midfielder has the necessary creativity and vision to spring her teammates no matter how many players Nigeria has behind the ball."

[​IMG]

19. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'nother article

http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=1690670

"While Heinrichs hinted there could be a change or two in the starting lineup - other than Cat Reddick replacing injured Brandi Chastain on defense - don't expect the coach to disrupt the tall duo [Wambach/Parlow] up front. The Nigerians, known for a physical brand of soccer that sometimes borders on brutal, won't easily contend with the size matchup."

20. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Re: Great article, thanks!

With a newbie ref in charge, I think we need all the size and toughness we can muster against the physical Nigerians, who will be scrapping for survival. I now think we must start Bri in goal, yellow card or no. I hope April is only trying to keep NGA guessing about the US lineup.

I fear Milbrett could get beaten up out there, and I would relieve Hamm as soon as we got a comfortable lead. Parlow should play one half as hard as she can and then get subbed out. Boxx will be crucial as a D-mid.

21. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    So far the teams which have impressed me are Germany, USA, Brazil and N.Korea.

22. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    despite being beaten up by brazil, i fear norway. i just feel we have brazil's #.

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    I would make a couple of changes against Nigeria, mainly because of their physical style and flank weakness.

-------------------Scurry---------------------
    Bivens(sp)-----Fawcett------Sobrero------ Pearce (if she can play left) or Reddick
    -----Foudy---------Boxx----------Lilly---------
    ------------------ Parlow----------------------
    ------Hamm--------------------Wambach------

The reason for this is partially the physical play and, even more, adding height in the middle to further the flank play that Nigeria seems VERY vulnerable to.

Parlow has shown that she distributes out of the center very well and she will be dominate in the center in the air. With Hamm and Wambach running the outsides and switching sides regularly and Bivens providing overlaps and crosses the offense should hand Nigeria a real whipping.

A back line of Pearce-----Fawcett------Sobrero------ Reddick would work almost as well BUT I do not think it would get as much offensive flank play and Reddick does not tackle as solidly as Bivens.

I also would concider going with more speed on the right than Foudy provides. I am just not real sure who would be the choice there.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Nigeria does tend to lose shape and/or bunker, I'd put Aly right behind the 2 forwards.