US National Stadium?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by usmnt777, Jun 30, 2011.

1. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a classy dump the way Fenway is.

Look, I understand the complex situation that RFK is in due to it's odd lease but I think it would make an ideal location. It's iconic facility, a perfect location, a revamping of the place would be worth it, it has the potential to double as a venue for things other than soccer too. My understanding is that it costs $75,000 to rent the facility.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with DC fans at USA games. Can't speak for stuff that went on before 2005 but my experiences are all positive. Maybe it's because I've cared less and less and less about my own MLS club (Thanks Bob Kraft!) Maybe it's because I go to DC for work a lot. Who knows but I don't have anything bad to say about DC fans, they've always been great to me.

Again, I have seen it and I think the fan base has grown, but again, you're going to get that at many locations around the country. It's just a fact. People can point to Columbus or Kansas City but that's about it. Columbus is one game every 4 years. Kansas City hosted a game against a French colony.

Sorry, but my East Coast bias stands not only because we should get more games due to the inherent east coast bias in the sports media but because, well, we're just better than the rest of the country.

Illegal jokes aren't funny. They're especially not funny when you represent a fan base that needs immigrants to grow, legal or otherwise. It doesn't matter if you're kidding or not because every time somebody bitches about Mexicans throwing bottles at games they can point to jackasses like you who spout casually racist shit. Now go back into your cave.

2. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Well i live in L.A. If you're going to build the only stadium the national team can play in then i sure as hell want it in L.A. and i don't give a rat's ass if its full of Mexico fans.

put it in the middle of nowhere or the east coast and i'll never see a game. I don't care that american fans don't show up and it doesn't make me feel any better that they put a game in Columbus or RFK or something. As for being on the East coast cause of population density seems like that would be an issue since you couldn't play there during winter, when the U.S. has a camp and some friendlies. Interestingly the population growth is largely south and southwest (minus Cali) last checked so the long term drift may be that way.

If it don't help me don't do it. If it's not in my town i don't want it. No reason somebody else should get all the games.

in the end it doesn't matter because honestly people of latin heritage are growing at a much much faster rate then other ethnic groups and you can't hide from that. Either they get folded into the fabric of American and hopefully feel part of it and some connection thus rooting more for the U.S. or U.S. fans will be overwhelmed eventually.

Doesn't matter though cause there will never ever ever be a national soccer stadium.

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's iconic in the way that it's the only stadium the three major professional teams have abandoned while a fourth desires to do the same.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the per game rent when you lease it for a season, as DC does.

The rent is substantially higher for a one off event, such as a WCQ or GC game. Approaching 10 times the per game fee.

5. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007

where does all the money go?

we've get about half of the mexican friendlies on our soil

we've played argentina, brazil, spain, multiple times at 60-90,000 seat stadia over the last few years

all these pre-season tours of euro clubs must go in part to USSF

nobodys ever explained where it all goes. they have to be making money, yet all anybody can say is that we can't afford a decent coach like it's a fact.

where does all the money go?

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It funds the expenses of all of the Junior & Senior women's squads, who don't make enough to cover near any of their own expenses since the WC99/PTH generation is gone. It covers all of the expenses of the all of the Junior Men's teams + the expenses of senior teams including all travel for domestic & foreign based players, food & accommodations when in camp, the money the players earn for participation, security details when they travel, charter travel when they are moving as a group, membership fees to CONCACAF & FIFA.

And the Fed probably sees about 50K per game out of that, if that. The stadiums and event organizers see most of the profit for those.

And those teams get an appearance fee, just like we get when we play friendlies overseas, plus the costs to lease the stadium, etc from above. When you look at the actual ticket revenue generated, it's probably only 6 to 9 million AT BEST if you can average $100/ticket for a prime opponent, so the Fed, after just game day expenses might only take 3-5 million from a game, which supports all of those things from above.

Doubt it's very much, like 50K or so per game. The stadiums and the promoters and the euroclubs themselves are the ones making the money.

One need only think about all the expenses the USSF has in operation of the Men's & Women's squads, to see that while we make a lot of money, we spend a lot of money. Sorry you didn't take a few minutes out of your day to ruminate on all of those costs.

Bills.

7. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    Ahhhh guys, I'm latino. Its ok to laugh, damn.

As for Australia, I was going by the 2006 census number of 19 million. I see the 2011 estimate is around 22 million. Pretty good growth. ;)

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for you. No one cares.

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Think of the merchandise sales, etc.

This is why the USSF, DC United, and MLS should try to find a way, anyway, to buy RFK.

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do. It's not much. I know people like to think it is, but US merch sales aren't that much and most of it goes back to the manufacturer.

Yeah, you need to go read the long, loooooog, LONG DC stadium threads about the nature of the land that RFK sits on, the environmental remediation issues, the staggering cost of renovations, the politics of DC not giving a ******** about soccer, etc.

Not to mention, the USSF and MLS don't have the money to be buying or purchasing stadiums, particularly dumps that would cost more to repair than to demo and rebuild. Apparently, DC's owner doesn't have the money either and the DC government ain't giving money for no soccer stadium.

Eventually that will hopefully percolate into that hardened ball of clay you call a brain.

11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RFK ? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

[​IMG]

12. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, someone explains it quite clearly every year in US Soccer's annual report.

Since the google doesn't seem to be working where you live, I'll post a link to the Fiscal Year 2012 report for you. The budget report begins on page 68.

Enjoy.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...HU481a&usg=AFQjCNEqGKSMBA8R7TfWJ1yoQ6xiQeZj-g

13. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    you mean DC's owner does not have the money either, and the government of DC is not willing to give money for a soccer stadium.

14. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Personally, I'd like to see some new cities get a game, especially friendlies. Try someplace new where people would be glad to see the USMNT and look to grow the game. This country is far too big for a single national stadium.

15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a national stadium doesn't mean you don't play anywhere else.