US Mexico - The fans

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by FirstStar, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    McKennie with (almost) 2!
    Forza Juve! :D Seriously, one of my proudest USA calcio moments. Forza USA!

2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because someone files a lawsuit is a long way from saying it has merit. Any buffoon can files a suit. I could file a lawsuit alleging copyright infringement for the use of the name “superdave” if I wanted to (of course I would lose)

There wouldn't be any perfect system, but even setting an allocation through FMF and keeping the rest through USSF would help. Sure, a lot of Mexico fans would buy in the “US” sections anyway, but it might improve things.

3. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, dark knight and Salmos repped this.
  4. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to know what your definition of "few' is since I saw LOT of cups and crap on the field. LOTS.

Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. There’s a lot of shit everywhere. And we all need to own up to the idiots in our own backyard. And I’m thoroughly unconvinced that any organization will really be able to stop fans from chanting whatever the fans want to. Convincing the fans that the rest of the world (rightfully) looks down on them for such behavior is probably the only real way forward.

Throwing dangerous objects at players has to stop. I’m surprised the US Players Union hasn’t made this an issue. To be honest, I’m surprised the Mexican players aren’t making it an issue- they are getting hit as well now. 5 arrests is a total joke.

7211 and Guinho repped this.
  6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There is a good side to this, sort of. We can be thankful that in US the likes of skinheads, Nazis, survivalists, gangs (white, blacks, Asian or other) or politicians in the US are mostly not much interested in soccer (real football) are so we are unlikely to see gang fights in the stands.

That is if the simple lack of some idiots can be considered "good."

For me the "problem" is simply fixed there are about three steps that could make a huge difference:
    1. Erect some kind of fencing at least 10 feet high between the "fans" and the players. This has the advantage of not infringing on anyone's rights and still allows stadium's to keep seating as it is.
    2. Do not allow fans into areas that are throwing distance from any part of the stadium floor. (this has problems of reducing revenue)
    3. Place police (real police with enforcement and arrest powers) every three yards or so all around the bottom of the stands facing toward the fans.

7. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah. Short of making Mexico play in emoty stadiums, there isnt much, and it is a small fraction. (Only a tiny fraction are sitting close enough to the pitch for one thing)

8. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are stadiums that have tracks around the pitch which helps. The fence idea raises specter of a Hillsborough style disaster which is why that tends to not be used. Security works too

and thanks goodness the neonazis, skinheads, and other assorted nasty folks havent discovered soccer, because you know they're dying for a chance to attack Mexicans or any other fans of most foreign visiting teams. That is a terrifying thought.

9. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    "neonazis, skinheads, and other assorted nasty folks"

I hate to be that guy but it isn't 1950 anymore and these groups are about as relevant today as the black panthers or nation of islam etc etc. Are there individual idiots out there more vocal than ever because of the internet? Of course but this type of hyperbole is so ridiculous to be using in 2021 it's borderline laughable.

7211, NietzscheIsDead and HomietheClown repped this.
  10. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think soccer is about the last sport any of them will ever pick up . . .

11. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s why I think the matches should not be allowed to sell tickets in those sections- all the lower deck. Punish the people making money off these games and I bet they would suddenly very serious about having enough security. I agree it’s not a lot of fans doing it and not that many sections. As such it really shouldn’t take a large investment in additional security/police and/or cameras recording up in those sections. Make a few examples

Guinho repped this.
  12. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Funny, because the FBI seems to disagree with you. I mean we have had riots and terrorism from these types throughout the last year, so I'm sure the people who have been shot and terrorized might have a different view on the matter.

I suspect they're not likely to start showing up at soccer matches, but if I remember correctly some of the MLS fan groups had to take action to keep the Proud Boys or one f these other white supremacist groups from trying things at MLS matches. It's a serious enough threat that MLS is taking action. So, yes, absolutely, anyone concerned with stadium security in 2021 needs to be on the lookout for these people.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ads-mls-faces-an-incursion-from-the-far-right

Southern Man, Winoman, superdave and 2 others repped this.
  13. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id hate to see fan experience in the US end up like being in Mexico as an away fan.

Guinho repped this.
  14. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We see these people causing problems with the game/players, but that's just one part of it. The same type of people who are sitting up higher are throwing drinks (and who knows what else is in those cups) off the upper decks to the fans below. For me, this is about security, arresting them out on the spot, and prosecuting then prosecuting them.

15. Le Rouge FC

Le Rouge FC Red Card

Detroit city fc
    United States
    Jun 9, 2021
    Just keep beating then until all hope is extinguished, this is literally all they have. Things will calm down when they finally accept they are a mediocre team.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to keep tickets out of "enemy" hands has always been a problem for US Soccer. That's why we played in Columbus-- fewer seats meant better chance of keeping Mexico fans out-- but eventually El Tri fans joined AO and other groups & paid to US Soccer to get in. That is part of reason the last US-Mexico WCQ in Columbus had so many Mexico fans compared to the past.

And if USSF cared only about $$$$ rather than winning, all US-Mexico WCQs would be in NFL stadiums.

superdave and Scotty repped this.
  17. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting up fencing creates a bunch of issues which I think are much worse than plastic beer cups being thrown on the field.

The first is safety, the Hillsborough disaster showed us that fans need the ability to "escape" onto the field in a disaster. Not just a crush but any kind of a disaster. Literally pinning the fans in and reducing their avenues of escape in an emergency creates some serious safety issues.

Secondly humans beings tend to rise and fall to the expectations that you set for them. If you take a bunch of normal fans and stick up fences then they'll act like they can't be trusted. Plus it becomes less inviting, feels less safe, which discourages fan who don't want to deal with it, leaving only those who like an "edgy" atmosphere.

Finally the logistics make it all but impossible even if it were a decent idea. US stadiums don't have fences already so are we going to only put them up for soccer games? Only for Mexico games? Only for the section with predominately Mexico National team fans? None of those options are a good look for a variety of reasons.

Throwing stuff on the field should be a no no of course. But we shouldn't be overreacting.

Marko72 and BostonRed repped this.
  18. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    The Guardian? ...yeesh

I don't even know where to start in breaking this down because I have an idea where it would go and it wouldn't be constructive for either of us or the thread.

Looking forward to seeing Dike play against Costa Rica tonight though!

TheEmptyBucket and HomietheClown repped this.
  19. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Make 'em play all the games in baseball stadiums and use the foul ball netting. Soft so nobody gets crushed, but still prevents things from being thrown through it. I'm sure there are no other problems with this plan...

20. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still does nothing about the chants and rest of stadium being doused from people on higher decks. We only see only small part of problem on TV. Yeah the player safety matters, but putting up barriers doesn't solve the real problem. Load up on security. Arrest immediately. Make sure the rest of the stadium knows the arrests are happening. Repeat the next game and the next game. Eventually, people looking to be fools will stop showing up.

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Just don't let them schedule friendlies in the U.S.

They play something like 3/4 of their "home" friendlies in the U.S. Cut that off and they'll start working on real solutions.

Btw, the fact that our teams wear pride jerseys, while we continue to play friendlies against Mex and allow them to schedule the majority of their frienlies in the U.S. shows the hypocricy of the Fed. You could argue that the jerseys are just another money grab. I'm sure they sell plenty. And, they are a vacuous empty gesture while letting Mex schedule so many matches in the U.S.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    They're going to get more obsessed as we start to kick El Tri's ass on the regular.

23. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    They would have been pretty tired and lethargic after 2.5 hours without drinking more.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Did Andrea Canales once write an ardido apologist article or something? I seem to remember that. Anyone know where it could be found?

25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4. Riot police should be occupying the seats near the corners of the field, so no objects can be thrown from there during corner kicks.