US-Mexico, the defense

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jun 6, 2021.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm writing this before extra time.

McKenzie was obviously horrible in the first half, but had a nice 2nd half. Brooks was Brooks.

I'm not going to say much about Ream, except that he was massively let down by Gregg. Him getting beat for Mexico's 2nd goal was like Oedipus killing his father and marrying his mother...tragic, and yet inevitable.

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Ream is not good enough.

Am I too much of a homer for wondering with James Sands isn't in this lineup?

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we won with McKenzie and Ream as our defenders, suck on that Mexico. Thats gotta hurt

and no, no youre not.......we need to explore additional options at center back, that was illustrated today

sakibomb523, mbar and Rezelby repped this.
  4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKenzie and Ream...amirite?

(ducks)

5. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to re-assess the backline after this one, but we really won't have an idea until September, but Tim Ream should be nowhere close to a starting 11 again.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Best game ever by a back that conceded a goal in the first minute and then gave up a penalty in the 120th minute. Ever. Period. Probably....

50/50 Ball repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we are now a higher standard, beating Mexico is always a good W, but we shouldnt be happy with resting on our laurels there. There were absolutely some things that need to be upgraded on that were glaringly obvious, and Ream and McKenzie need to be upgraded. Miles Robinson, Zimmermann, Chris Richards need a thorough microscope ASAP

8. VictoryWePredict4Thee

VictoryWePredict4Thee BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 4, 2019
    Yeah disappointed with McKenzie as I dont see him as a starter but a good option as a backup, but he didnt perform well today.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to push back on McKenzie. (EDIT: I wrote this before the seeing the last few posts.) He's very young, he's played well enough in other outings. And he played much better in the 2nd half.

Not that he had a good game, not at all. Overall it was poor.

But I try to distinguish between a player have a bad game and a player being bad.

Konut, Winoman, Magikfute and 7 others repped this.
  10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    McKenzie had himself a decent game around some unforgivable errors, but of course that nearly cost us the match multiple times.

Brooks was great in both matches. For me, he was our best player overall this tournament.

Konut, Winoman, neems and 2 others repped this.
  11. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Possibly Unpopular Opinion: I thought Ream played really well up until the Lainez sub and then he just was in a bad matchup.

TimB4Last, Winoman, neems and 1 other person repped this.
  12. VictoryWePredict4Thee

VictoryWePredict4Thee BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 4, 2019
    Oh no, he definitely has potential, as it is just one game but you never want to see a player have a bad game, in a key game, obviously. Could be he struggles against quality opponents, or he cracked under pressure. Or could just have been an off day. I'd like to see him in the Gold Cup.

Winoman repped this.
  13. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    John Anthony Brooks was outstanding. Tim Ream was OK until Laniez came on, as Dest was just not giving him any cover whatsoever. McKenzie is young and needs to play more club minutes. A lot more. Yedlin was actually okay defensively, but he still isn’t technical enough to consistently build out of the back.

TimB4Last, Winoman and neems repped this.
  14. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I have a thought for the Costa Rica game. Play one of Reynolds or Cannon at center back. I think what we saw tonight is that against certain teams, a quicker smaller center back might be the way to go.

Maybe line up left to right: Robinson Miazga Cannon Reynolds

IndividualEleven repped this.
  15. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Richards will make a huge difference. But we need to sort out the options after him and Brooks.

16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made so many clutch plays around those 2 disasters. Being a CB is unforgiving.

FTGOTC, Winoman and Ball Chucking Hack repped this.
  17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The handball is just a danger of being a defender. The pass was a disaster. I bet his film grade post minute 2 is going to be pretty good.

Marko72, FTGOTC and Konut repped this.
  18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I predicted an early card for Brooks last game, and he got one, but he managed to keep it together the rest of the game and played well.

I don't know if I should count Yedlin & Dest in the defense or not, but Yedlin was good and Dest was so so, ironically he played his best just before he was subbed.

I'll count the keepers in the defense, and they both were superb.

Ream and McKenzie are going to burn any tapes their families made of that game...

I thought Acosta played better at left back than he did in the midfield, but that might've just been by contrast.

19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta really did calm things down at LB.

Winoman repped this.
  20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    steffen- good.
    yedlin- good.
    mckenzie- nightmare.
    brooks- very good.
    ream- ream.
    acosta- good enough.
    cannon- good enough.
    horvath- legend. one ream away from keller v brazil.

theres no need to sugarcoat how bad mckenzie was, and it was at least 92% lack of experience/nerves. the other 2% is rotten luck- the penalty was just the soccer gods being mean.

you also cant overstate how bad ream is- ironically, though, we somehow survived the reamness (age, serious decline from already negligible movement, etc)- he let us down in a moment so naive even mckenzie on this night wouldnt have: letting lainez cut in on his left. there is literally one thing that scrub can do, and ream gave it to him.

anyways, my still vaguely heat of the moment "looking foward" depth chart:

gk horvath, steffen and turner. i think unfortunately (for steffen) his injury is going to cement this, but (horvath) finding a club that uses him absolutely will. i dont know how you dont start horvath in the first qualifier.

rb dest, yedlin, cannon

rcb miazga (long), richards

lcb brooks, mckenzie

lb robinson

now we wait for the gold cup data to roll in. im hoping against hope vines or bello can make a case to stop dest from playing on the left again.

nbarbour repped this.
  21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I say the same thing after every game. This is a tiny sample. McKenzie is fine, What separates him from Ream is that he's physically capable and 22 years old.

As @Ball Chucking Hack said, that's probably the best game ever by a guy who gifted the other team two goals, although only 1 was an error.

I'll categorize a different way.

Guys I am happy to see start a game in defense that I saw in these two games. Not in order.

Brooks
    McKenzie
    Cannon
    Dest
    Yedlin
    Robinson
    Horvath
    Steffen
    Acosta

FTGOTC repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that early yellow for brooks started absurd and progressed to samuel beckett levels as we saw how the rest of the match was called. richards and miles robinson stock way up on absence. mckenzie was too slow thinking and casual at various points all match long.

23. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robinson needs exposure to a lot higher level than he currently is at and Richards just found a starting position this season. They weren’t ready for a final against Mexico. McKenzie was chosen out of the three. Otherwise, we rightly had the most experienced guys in there.

Winoman repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, I'm Waiting for Richards.

Robinson needs to prove it at a higher level than MLS before I put him above McKenzie. (That higher level might include the Gold Cup, if the rosters we face are good enough.)

Winoman and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  25. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    richards was hurt or he would’ve undeniably started
    i hear that, but miles robinson 1v1 defending in space gives him a fast track if we are really going to play a back 3. mark mckenzie has all of 500 minutes more experience too...

hard not to shake your head thinking about how different that looks if chris richards, who bayern munich has given minutes to at left back!, were playing for ream. awful timing on that injury.

50/50 Ball repped this.