US-Mexico, the coaching and tactics

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not one time during the post game have they mentioned the subs and mistakes by coach. Pathetic!

btlove, sXeWesley, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We went from Klinsmann who was somewhat of an outsider to tight back to the good ol' boys network with Arena, Sarachan, and Egg. I will admit that I thought Tata would have an issue connecting with most of our pool. I was a fool and let biases probably based in cultural ignorance get the better of my judgement. If Tata ever really considered the USMNT and the fed chose Egg over him than the loss is deserved.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris was garbage as always. He can’t pass or dribble, no matter how “active” he is. No one wants to sign Morris, unlike Boyd, who just transferred to a very good club.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have started Boyd, but I see the logic in starting Morris. But when it was clear how ineffective he was, Boyd should have replaced him. And a Roldan was a bad choice...almost all of our success was from direct attacks, like it usually is. Boyd is probably the most direct player we have.

I can’t remember who said it, but it seemed like a pre-scripted sub. Not one made as a reaction to what was happening.

5. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh I’ll take credit for saying the scripted sub. I saw him make non-reactive subs in friendly games, which is fine, but in a final being 1 down?

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the logic in starting Morris? He’s never been effective as a starter, or in keeping possession, or in dribbling.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, *I* wouldn’t have done it, but he could have felt that What Morris gives you in defense is worth what you lose on attack.

When I disagree with a coach, I try to avoid analysis such as, he’s a complete idiot. I try to see what he was trying to do.

Mr Martin, Craig P and Winoman repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="superdave, post: 37961700, member: 5058]
    When I disagree with a coach, I try to avoid analysis such as, he’s a complete idiot. I try to see what he was trying to do.[/QUOTE]

Really! And here I thought you just posted chicken ********ing memes.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can multitask.

10. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Gagg was abused. He was bent over and spanked. And then he said "thank you."

His failure to adjust to any of 1) Mexico's 2nd half press 2) Mexico's 2nd half focus on attacking Ream or 3) Mexico's 2nd half man marking pulisic out of the game would have gotten a high school fish fired.

(Unless his brother Jay was the principal, of course).

LouisZ, Namdynamo, nbarbour and 3 others repped this.
  11. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    You mean Mexico's cr@ppy f-ing B team, that was lucky to beat a Costa Rica team without Navas on penalties and advanced automatically to the final by CONCACAF over Haiti.

btlove, yurch10 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I thought the initial tactical idea of by-passing the midfield was clever and effective. We should have had a goal.

Tata must have looked at the whole tournament and thought to himself...if I ever have to turn a tight game I’ll just expose Ream.

Our responses were Roldan and Zardes, two subs on the hour, and Lovitz.

Roldan. Zardes, Lovitz.

That’s not tactics that’s talent evaluation.

It’s also a coach that knows the earliest he could possibly be fired is when we don’t qualify for Qatar.

Winoman and nbarbour repped this.
  13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    In a lot of countries it would be.

14. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick, somebody call Jay. Oh, wait...

Winoman repped this.
  15. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I don't know what to say about anyone who thought the last 10 minutes screamed out for Lovitz at left back while hoping to claw back a goal. Berhalter's biggest weakness is player selection, which is a pretty big part of being a national team coach. He left himself with no options on the bench to get back into a game once we fell behind, unless you count Boyd who he didn't even use. Starting lineup was fine considering the player available and called up, but when he looked to the bench you can see just how poor our options after the first 11 were.

Marko72, Mr Martin, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You and I watched very different games. This Mexican team wasn’t that impressive and after weathering the first 10 minutes or so, they settled in and at half, their coach identified some obvious weak spots in our lineup and hunted out the match ups he wanted.

The “substitutions were not bad”? Yikes - they were the exact same ones he used vs. Jamaica when up! It seems pretty straightforward that he had them pre-planned.

btlove, Namdynamo, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  17. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Morris is one dimensional . Everyone can see it except for our coach. He played the same crap way against a friendly team few months ago and everyone In this forum knows hes not a intl winger . Actually, what did Boyd do to lose his starting spot? Maybe injury we didn't know about? Did anyone ask during the post game?

I

18. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    In the post game, he basically told everyone that ROLDAN was there to keep possession... Lol. Morris you need to work on your game.

If his attribute is to bring defense and hussle , workrate then fine and but then you should play counter attack and bunker from day 1 . I didn't see that early on first half. They actually tried to attack and morris killed alot of them with his touch and passing.

19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    If I “try” to paint a room with a screwdriver and some duct tape, do I get credit for trying since you knew what my goal was or would call me an idiot for using completely incorrect tools for the job?

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No i would not.

21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    To which?

22. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Roldan was fine but we didn't need him at that point. Bringing on Zardes was inexplicable...if Jozy was out of gas I would've brought Boyd on for him and moved Morris to the 9.

23. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #98 Heist, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Jozy did not look out of gas. Probably wasn't going 90, but he wasn't done yet.

Marko72 and onefineesq repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    it feels like interest in the game is growing to the point that berhalter is definitely getting called out for how badly he was outcoached by tata in the second half

25. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tata was getting a glimpse of what was needed for Mexico in the second-part of the first-half. He took half-time to make that clear tactically to the team. The challenge for Gregg is then that means in-game adjustments, harder from a coaching perspective, as he had to be reasonably pleased with the first-half. I trust that Berhalter is intelligent enough to see what Mexico was doing. We couldn't answer and part of that is simply the talent on the pitch and options on the bench. Those are choices he made. But the second-half was a different game. Martino made the changes needed. Berhalter did not. Lots of factors at play but that seems a fair take for anyone to make. Even Gregg.

Craig P and Winoman repped this.