US-Mexico, the coaching and tactics

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jul 7, 2019.

1. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tata for Berhalter.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Boyd
    2. Sargent... oh wait

Namdynamo, Marius Tresor and Winoman repped this.
  3. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Roldan did win a couple of corners. Still, Boyd should have been in there, and Trapp (or anyone) should have replaced Bradley, who completely ran out of gas probably already by the end of halftime.

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roldan wasn’t bad but he should have came in for Bradley who was struggling and Boyd for Morris.

5. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Is this serious?

Roldan for the traffic cone, Boyd for Ream or Morris

6. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Boyd was great against Guyana, and mediocre against Panama and Curacao, which is why he was replaced by Morris (who let's not forget had a header cleared off the line).

Trapp has been horrible pretty much every chance he's gotten.

7. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I couldn’t agree more. Why Bradley finished that game out is beyond me. A coach would have seen that Mexico changed their 2nd half tactics to press BRad and it was the correct call.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #58 LouisZ, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    I thought we lost the game at halftime. Tata adjusted and GB didn't. GB paint himself into a corner by his selection of players. He truly believes an aging regular player with past experience is better than an up and coming youngster like if the resume is going to play instead of the player.
    The game changed in the second half when Tata started to load their right side and putting pressure on Mckennie and Pulisic.GB didn't have a clue what to do next.
    In my opinion, his undoing is his lack of a game plan, style of play and relying so much on old vets.

9. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you really going to sit here and defend what we just saw? The bench was crap to begin with because he selected the 23 players. I would have started Boyd, I would have left Jozy for 120 minutes if we had to. I would have never brought in Zardes. I would have had Sargent, Fabian Johnson, Weah and checked out many more in the pre-camp to see how they were doing in fitness, that is what me an E License coach would have done, yes E License, not EUFA License or US A License, we now know what someone with those kinds of license would have done.

btlove, dwsmith1972, Namdynamo and 4 others repped this.
  10. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I agree with you.I hate watching Bradley as much as most, and thought we needed somebody who could at least fight well for lose balls and close things down quickly defensively, but the point still stands that we played a good first half. Bradley should've been the first player taken off in the second half.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris offered nothing in this game. He can’t dribble or pass the ball against good opposition. At a minimum, Boyd should have been subbed in when we needed a goal.

12. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I think you just identified the line towing phrase we will hear soon enough, “... just an inch and we would have been up 1-0 in the first half and then....;therefore, all coaching and player critiques are null and void.”

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew the Boo Boys would be out after the loss. Look, we outplayed Mexico for long stretches. During their 15 minute period of dominance they got a nice goal off a backheel from Dos Santos running into space from the midfield. It happens. We generated a lot of chances, and should have put 2 or 3 in, but we didn't. Jozy's miss at 8' was criminal. If you think Berhalter got a lot wrong in this game, you are reaching badly. We came out on fire and were the better team in the first half, but had nothing to show for it. In the second half, the play went back and forth. The substitutions were not bad. Morris needed to come off, and Roldan did fine, and had a chance to score. Altidore was tired and needed to come off, and Zardes is like for like. Zardes had 3 goals in 4 matches before this one, and we needed a goal. Ream needed to come off. He could have put in Boyd, but if we concede another goal we're done, the same as if we don't score. We had plenty of good setups, we just couldn't finish. If you're honest, you have to say this game could have gone either way. That's life.

14. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Presenting the winner of this thread.

15. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Roldan should've come on at 55-60 minutes for Bradley to get fresh legs in the midfield. The zardes for Altidore switch had to be made as jozy was tired and we have no other options up front (team selection and player pool issue). Boyd should've started, but he certainly should've come on for Morris as soon as we went down a goal.

Winoman and superdave repped this.
  16. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me throw another conspiracy theory out there. In the beginning of Gold Cup there was some rumors saying Inter-Miami was interested in Boyd. Boyd enjoyed some good starting minutes at the time. Boyd came out and said I’m good, current discussions with Turkish clubs are well under way. Boyd hasn’t played. a. minute. since. :cue eerie music:

yurch10, Ghost and nbarbour repped this.
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tata moved Pizarro to the right in the 2nd half to go at Ream instead of Cannon.

Something that simple and that obvious was over GGG's head.

russ, Reccossu, Namdynamo and 5 others repped this.
  18. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #68 nbarbour, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    I watched the game with a bunch of randoms at a bar at the SLC airport. We all identified this pretty quickly and waited for adjustments that never came. Unless you count the Lovitz sub. LOL. And we were as baffled by the Roldan and Zardes subs as everyone not named Berhalter was.

19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Morris was active, brought good energy and had a strong effort on that first half header. He also played decent defense. No sure what more you expect from him but this Boyd as the New Best Thing has got too many of you drinking the hopeful koolaid.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to pick the biggest flaw, it is the adjustments.

What I find most concerning is it’s not a case where he’s been ok up till now and just flubbed it. He’s too much of a system guy, and worse, it’s the wrong system for these players.

We need to play fast.
    Weah is not God. He cannot be on two places at once.
    co sign

Mr Martin repped this.
  21. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    f'ing garbage.

pulisics first four and mckennie/adams' first two years are going to be completely wasted. its tragic.

22. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Boyd had a better tournament than Morris. Morris was anonymous most of the game and I'm pretty sure you can expect him to make a difference in a game that he's starting. What do you expect from him? The bare minimum? Seemingly that's enough for some people.

23. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t see anyone crowning Boyd just yet. It’s just that he is so clearly superior to Morris. Being better than Morris isn’t all that high of a bar.

btlove, Namdynamo, USA-Zebuel and 2 others repped this.
  24. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont let how much berhalter sucks contort everything- that is an average ass mexican team and tata didnt do anything special at all.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  25. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's happened since 2011.

dwsmith1972 and USSoccerNova repped this.