US-Jamaica, the midfield

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Oct 7, 2021.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half, the movement and passing started OK, but was sclerotic the 2nd half. Musah unimpressive.

Musah was strong moving the ball through the midfield. McKennie had a few nice long balls and a few more near misses. Adams covered a ton of ground.

2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It looks better when you have guys looking to drive the ball forward instead of backpassing.

3. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The midfield trio many of us have been calling for controlled the game. Allowed all the other players to contribute up to their abilities. Was great to see. Hopefully as we sub out and rotate, it is with like-for-like subs to allow some sort of cohesion.

Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  4. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me the difference between the first half and the second half was running the game through Musah and DLT instead of McKennie. I like McKennie as a player, but I want him doing the dirty work on defense and showing up to put the ball in the net on attack. I don’t want him getting the most touches of our midfielders.

5. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Musah shows. Still don't get the doubters who'd rather see Lleget or ? The collaboration with Dest and Pepi for the goal is something we're going to see for years

Yowza repped this.
  6. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think McKennie has a groin pull. He was gimping around the last 5 or so. Glad Musah is capped. He was good offensively after he conquered his nerves. Adams was solid and smart. I pray he is healthy for Qatar.

Pegasus, Yowza and dams repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Musah really picked it up in the second half. Torre was even better. He looks legit.

FTGOTC and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  8. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting night, McKennie may not be the best player to fit into the midfield against CONCACAF, outside of Mexico. I'd say Adams is locked in as the DMID. Then Musah, Reyna, LDLT, McKennie, and Lletget are playing the other spots. When you're playing against a bunker having Musah and Reyna/LDLT/Lletget makes more sense than McKennie especially with the directness of Aaronson, Weah and Pulisic with through balls and passing.

9. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Musah looked tight to me in the first half. The first Goal really seemed to loosen everyone up mentally. LDLT was legit bringing the ball forward for sure, I thought he looked a little bit overwhelmed physically on the defensive side of things though.

USSoccerNova and IndividualEleven repped this.
  10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams was the best of the bunch. Thought McKennie was better in the first half. Musah better in the second. His drive forward help create the goal.

DLT was fine. Worried me a tad on that challenge, but it was fine.

Acosta fine in limited action.

McKennie looked a little gimpy at the end there.

Yowza repped this.
  11. VictoryWePredict4Thee

VictoryWePredict4Thee BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 4, 2019
    Disagree, the back passing is critical in our efforts of verticality.

rgli13 repped this.
  12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    musah and mckennie are redundant. i'd only play one of those 2 and then get an ATTACKING MID in there like LDLT

i'd start adams-musah-ldlt

mckennie as a ball circulator is a waste.

ggg needs to get rid of the ball circulator role....

drive the ball forward and attack!! find the gaps and RUN.

13. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you are totally missing on the value of McKennie. He supports both ends of the field.

gogorath, Lloyd Heilbrunn and superdave repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massively, massively disagree. To me, they completely different. One is adept at carrying the ball through the middle third, the other is adept at being a late attacker and scoring. McKennie is much, much better defensively. I think it’s the opposite, I think they complement each other really well. Them plus a pure ball winner is a very strong midfield trio, especially is Musah can add little slip passes to forwards making central runs to his game.

RossD, TrueCrew, Ironbound and 6 others repped this.
  15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, but a lot of that has to do with the amount of space that the Jamaicans were ceding to us. They were ceding that space because they had to. The movement in the first half I think did them in. From the start of the second they were a can ready to be pulled open.

I like the MMA midfield, though Musah had a bit of a rough first half, and I REALLY love the outlook of it over the next few years. They really force a lot of turnovers in excellent positions and keep opponents on the back foot. LDLT is a really nice change of pace. He was getting all kinds of space, but he can serve the killer ball that we often need.

16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I’ll be honest….everyone healthy…in a game I need to win tomorrow…McKennie isn’t a lock in my midfield. Tyler is. Reyna is. I’m trying to decide between McKennie and Musah. It ain’t easy tomorrow. I think it’s gonna be an easier decision in the final in Qatar.

frankburgers and Yowza repped this.
  17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to see that midfield trio in a game that counts.

It wasn't perfect, but I think they can be really really good together.

Not one of the 3 is a great playmaker, but we have that from the wings with Aaronson, Reyna and Christian, when they were all available.

RossD and Marko72 repped this.
  18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Musah and Adam’s took charge of that midfield. Did grown man things nonstop

DLT is gonna make the 23. More of that kid please

Thank you Greg for not dragging out the Weston discipline longer than it needed to go

USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think people need to remember McKennie in the Nations League final.

He was fine today, only showed a bit of brilliance. But I'm okay with that -- the gameplan called for the fullbacks to crush high and a bit of extra support for Tyler isn't bad.

Musah and McKennie are different players, though both can do the bull in a china shop dribble beast mode thing. I think they do complement each other, but there may be times we want more creativity as well.

I'm not sure why there's so much focus on on a theoretical Best XI. We are reaching a talent level where you can't even determine that without knowing the opponent and gameplan.

It's good to have options, even before you consider injuries and the such.

The midfield was excellent defensively and better than this forum is giving credit for offensively.

jnielsen, RossD, TrueCrew and 4 others repped this.
  20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #20 Maximum Optimal, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Musah's off the ball movement was quite good. Several times he got into dangerous spots but his teammates didn't get him the ball. Once McKennie did with a very nice lofted pass into the box.

The MMA midfield lived up to its billing.

ifsteve repped this.
  21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Btw there is a fellow Busio on the roster. Expect him to start against Panama. Depth is good to paraphrase that G Gekko fellow.

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and I are on the same page. I am just not feeling the midfield creativity in the "half-court" set, with an MMA midfield. And McKennie cannot carry the ball like Musah. I trust Adams enough that I would rather have a passing type in the midfield to complement him and Musah. IF Reyna can start picking his head up for country, he would be the guy. If not, Busio, or a player of that mold (DLT, etc).

23. Orioles Magic

Orioles Magic Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 30, 2020
    Loved Musah, you can see the skill, athleticism, and potential. Happy to see him set up the Dest assist for the 1st Pepi goal.

Luca De La Torre really impressed me. Love his precise, clinical passing, which is something this team sorely needs.

Adams is a maestro. Rarely makes a bad play, and is so critical to this team, even though he probably goes unnoticed by the average fan.

MMA midfield for Qatar. Hope these guys stay healthy and continue to get more playing time together.

USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    How has that been working.

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wham, Bam,Thank you MAM midfield...:p

um_chili and Maximum Optimal repped this.