US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's insane no club has made an offer for him. Heck, not even a loan to return to Norway. Hate to wish ill on Mignolet but damn Horvath needs a few matches before he leaves this summer.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    We'll never get to see if Turner can perform at this level because we never play a decent team. We'd rather play USL scrubs.

3. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that beyond the obvious scheduling issues with the pandemic that this was not a FIFA window. Just who the heck were they gonna schedule?

xbhaskarx and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NT was scheduled to play Serbia yesterday but Covid-19 put the kibosh on that.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think we just have to be grateful to have the games that we do have during this pandemic. And realize, 2021 should be the year that we have our highest ever goals scored count - if you consider who we’re playing.

I don’t mind that. I’m chalking 2022 as nothing more than as practice for 2026 anyways. Our players are incredibly young and they need to learn how to play together as a team. And crushing minnows does have the benefit of boosting confidence... especially after our confidence was destroyed between 2015-2019. So, I’ll take this next year for what it is - hopefully we can manage some more competitive games between the WC and WCQ. But if we don’t, well there will be all of next cycle to do so - with just about everyone returning to the program.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shh! I said something along those lines and got castigated for it.

But the majority of players who have come into the A roster since 2017 will be peaking around 2026. The 2022 WC will be a great test and the experience of playing together in a major tournament will be great prep for 2026.

tomásbernal, nobody and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Disagreement is not punishment.

Count me as someone who doesn't really see the point of viewing anything that occurs every four years as practice.

I'll be honest -- I don't even know what "I’m chalking 2022 as nothing more than as practice for 2026 anyways." means in real terms.

Are you not trying to win? Should we treat the gameplan like we did in that Mexico friendly and not alter it to our opponent but simply try to do our own thing?

Should we be limiting the team to 26 and under except maybe goalkeepers? Should we leave John Brooks home? He'll be 33 in 2026 and highly unlikely to be a starter.

Let's say some of the 17-19 year olds aren't as good as some older players but project to be better in 2026... should be start them?

Or are you merely saying "I think we'll peak in 2026 so I'm mentally setting expectations lower in 2022"?

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously you're allowed to practice winning, which is a big part of being in a major competition.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I guess my point is ... is this a mental thing for you as a fan or are you advocating for the team approaching 2022 differently in some way?

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1410 Paul Berry, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    The best way to practice playing a piano is not reading a book on the theory of playing a piano, it's playing a piano.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That. I hope that’s obvious. Of course, I want to win. But I can look at this team, tell where they’re at and what needs to happen, and even if I’m excited for them, 2026 is when we should have the highest expectations for their performance, as fans.

Paul Berry and gogorath repped this.
  12. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I get the look to 2026 as our potential peak I am still WAY excited for 2022.
    1. We didn't even qualify for 2018.
    2. We have a pretty dang good roster right now and its deeper than its ever been.
    3. Way too many things can happen between 2022 and 2026.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going for 2026 may be fools gold as there could be injuries to a few of our best players and the team may not be as good. I get the logic but just because the US is in a similar trajectory as Belgium was doesn't mean it will happen the same way.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really feel for Horvath. Dude had won the no.1 spot for Brugge for the second time and then dumped by Mignolet 18 months ago and he can't even get a transfer away from the club. Being no.2 is killing his career.

nobody and ifsteve repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Eleven Bravo and Winoman repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021...rt-goalkeepers-and-defenders-armchair-analyst

[/QUOTE]

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yesterday was the anniversary of the Romario game. :)
    For young'uns who didn't see Keller in his prime, THIS is how good he was.
    That unsighted save against Romario about 20 seconds is unbelievable.

xbhaskarx, MPNumber9, nobody and 5 others repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I miss when US matches had this much excitement.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are getting back there. God what we would do for a Keller or a Friedel right now though. Keller may have actually been my favorite US goalkeeper

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1421 Clint Eastwood, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Notice how few fans in the stands for a Gold Cup semifinal, and most of them were Brazilian.
    The excitement there is really generated by the commentator. That Preki goal call is one of my favorites of all time.

There's a whole generation of fans that I don't think really knows how good Keller was in his prime while at Millwall, Leicester, etc. Even now, you can't find many clips of his games at those clubs on YouTube. When he played at the 2006 World Cup, he was 37. Waaaaay past his prime. People think it was some sort of awful decision that Keller was deemed superior to Friedel by a succession of USMNT coaches (even Arena in 2002. Keller had a slight injury in the run-up to the event which put Friedel in goal). Not really. It was a close contest.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Good memories!

Nearly our entire team was born after this match. I'm still trying to wrap my head around middle age...

LouisianaViking07/09 and Magikfute repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its the Sun, so take that for what its worth.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Some nostalgia for you. :) THey just had to include the saves on Dempsey and Holden. American on American crime. I wish I could find a highlight of his save against Jay Jay Okocha.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it easier to wrap my head around middle age than to wrap my old pants around my waist.

Winoman repped this.