US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    But most of the best are 6'4"+. I expect will start seeing more big guys... no idea why.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its just athletes in general. They are bigger and more athletic than even 20 years ago. Look at Manuel Neuer. How many guys were there 20 years ago that were his size and played keeper? That's a small list. Now how many guys were there 20 years ago that were his size, played keeper, AND had his foot skills? Just about nobody, and while he is still top handful in the world there are quite a few keepers these days that are big AND can use their feet.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think that is a lot of it, but do think guys like Neuer and Courtois is going to encourage more athletes to follow them. We have our own in Odense. it will be interesting to see how he develops. I think he has the agility to get down for low balls.

4. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here are thoughts from the Revs president. He’s biased fire his guy but his argument for the value of Xg for keepers seems sound.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    apparenly Sean Johnson has been having a really spectacular season?

50/50 Ball repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He normally plays really well for the first two-thirds of a season then makes a bunch of errors. We've not seen the errors so far this year.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    would you say its been one of his best seasons?

8. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I would disagree that a goalkeeper doesn't have a big effect on the saves he has to make. Controlling your area and managing your defense is a huge part of the position. Bing quick off your line and getting to balls. These things are every bit as important as pure shot stopping. This isn't really an argument for or against anyone specifically as I haven't seen enough of Turner to have a real opinion of him. Just saying that breaking down the position to this one metric is not at all cut and dry like those tweets try to suppose..

TimB4Last repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he joined NYCFC, yes.

10. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is that really true? If you do all the other stuff and don't make the stops then what does it do for your team's chances? I am sure Howard did all the mental stuff well but he simply wasn't getting to balls towards the end.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You need the whole package, presumably, if you want to excel.

Tomorrow is a big day for Horvath, I feel. If Horvath starts and plays well, he won't leap over Steffen, but he'll cement himself as the solid second choice. If Steffen starts again, as I feel he might (for a number of reasons), then Horvath's claim to the backup spot becomes more tenuous. It's hard to hold your spot, and not lose ground, when you're not playing for club or country.

I would start Steffen, but I won't be too unhappy if Berhalter chooses Horvath for this one.

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Number 2 is soooo wide open. Horvath hasn't played in a decade. Turner is a shot stopper but the impression is that he doesn't have the other parts of the game. Guzan has the composure but can't stop anything. Sean Johnson is not bad but is uninspiring.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ..............................and Horvath rides the pine.

I think #2 and #3 are wide open for the USMNT.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seconded, beyond Steffen I think its a free for all

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i don't get why he wasn't chosen to start this.

TxEx and ifsteve repped this.
  16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, hear me out. Melia for 3rd goalkeeper, strictly for penalty shoot outs. Dude has a freaking well earned rep. He is the king of the shootout. If we get in a shootout, thats the guy i want between the pipes, even ahead of steffen

LouisianaViking07/09 and ifsteve repped this.
  17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Instincts and feel for the box and the posts is probably the biggest part of goalkeeping. Angles, anticipation, decisiveness, courage, etc.

nobody repped this.
  18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yup, all those things are important because the best goalkeepers spend more time trying to figure out how to prevent shots than trying to save them. Control your box, read passes and come off your line quickly (even stretching outside the penalty area when needed), don't give the forwards anything to shoot at so they take fewer shots, make the goal looks small with your positioning, communicate well with the defense so fewer players slip through, be available as an outlet, distribute well and then put yourself in good positions when all this fails so you have a chance at stopping the shots that do make it through. The notion it mostly just consists of standing in the middle of the goal and reacting to shots is far from the truth.

NietzscheIsDead and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but this becomes just about impossible to actually implement. When you get to shootout only the 11 players on the field at the end of extra time are eligible to play. So you would have to sub in Melia late in extra time to make use of him. But man he is stout on PKs. That last save yesterday was killer good.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the 5 substitute rule stands long term, I think it is completely plausible.

21. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure could. Then the question becomes is a "cold" keeper off the bench really an upgrade over the guy on the field. Interesting to see how that would play out.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see how you would be concerned about that with a 3 sub bench, and thats perfectly rational fear. You better have a freaking stud if you think you can pull that off with a three sub team. Five sub..........it becomes a realistic possibility to pull off. And Im a huge proponent of it now because like others have said, with Melia, this wasnt a one-off. This is at least the second time he has just swagged out on a PK shoot out. His PK save percentage is pretty rediculous. The first earthquakes PK was poor, but the second two were reasonably well taken. He was just equal to the task. When filling out a roster of 23, you need role players. Even with three goalkeepers, having that third goalkeeper gives you the luxury of a role player. Hell, there was some appeal to me about using Mike Magee as the number three goalkeeper at the time because of his very unique skillset of being a goalscorer and to a degree, a shot stopper. He could have been effectively another striker option along with emergency goalkeeper, but thats a completely different situation (that and i am sure there are rules against having a field player round a roster spot designated for a goalkeeper). Melia is an out and out keeper, and if we have our two "best player available" keepers as 1-2, there is virtue in your number three being a PK shootout ninja. His effectiveness in a shootout is uncanny, and useful enough for a roster spot with a five substitute allowance. I wonder if other teams are going to see the same when deciding their 2022 roster.

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's an interesting idea, but it's not as if Steffen is a bad penalty keeper. In fact, it's one of his strengths, historically.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    poor guy never got a NT apperance has he?

25. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OWN

My question is more along the lines of this. Lets say Steffen is your keeper and has played all game. Played a decent game and it goes to penalties. Is subbing in Melia off the bench really give you a better chance to win then leaving Steffen in?

As a keeper I would prefer to finish my game. Now if this was planned and trained upfront then you can get past the emotional aspects. But I wonder does Melia really do as well stopping penalties coming off the bench compared to when he has been in the game?