US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mitch Hildebrandt, 29, now the backup/#3 in Atlanta.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I read somewhere that Brady Scott stood out at the big youth confab. And he's a backup in the German reserves. Makes me fear for the future.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #103 Clint Eastwood, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Brady Scott is a really good, but he's very young.
    He's only 18, and will be the starter for this U20 cycle (if released).

He's made multiple starts this season (5 or so) in the Regionalliga West for Köln II . That's not bad for a kid his age.

The other top keepers in that U20 pool are kids like Justin Garces of Atlanta United and Eric Lopez of LA Galaxy.

Keep an eye also on Brandon Austin at Spurs in England.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brandon Austin was just selected for England U19s. Not ideal to (temporarily) lose a promising option but we still have good options for our U20s: Scott, Lopez, Muse, Garces, dos Santos, Budnik, and so on.

5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sean Johnson had one of those games yesterday...........................
    Several times a year that guy has "stand on his head" games that make you consider him as a USMNT candidate. The rest of the time he's league average.

7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17-year-old US U19 keeper Sam Fowler made his first start of the season for Sounders 2 last night. Couldn't keep out a PK but wasn't scored upon otherwise.

8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    983898982027091968 is not a valid tweet id

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that the best games a keeper has aren't as important as the worst. Being good to great every game is what they are looking for.

[/QUOTE]

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Does Johnson still have a shot?

With the likes of Steffen, Hamid, Horvath (if he ever gets a chance again), Bono, Melia and several more.

A real crapshoot.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope not.

13. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get why people are down on Horvath but I wouldn't write him off. I think he ends up stealing it back next year.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I sure hope so. We need lots of competition for no.1

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. I get that he looked shaky in goal in November, but he's just 22 and has a bunch of starting pro experience under his belt, including in big Europa League matches against Ajax, Celtic, Fener, Sevilla in which he was arguably Molde's best player, even was named to the Europa League XI of the Week for his performance against Ajax. He's not the frontrunner for future USMNT #1 but he's certainly in the picture.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    There may be Champions League or at least Europa League football for him this Fall provided he stays with the club. And I'm sure he will.

There's been 4 other keepers this season. So not all the problems lie with him.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed and it's not like we have games coming up that mean anything. I hope he gets another chance in the euro friendlies. Him and Hamid should each get a game and if there's a 3rd the one with the best preformance gets it. I'd leave Steffen for domestic games.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don’t think the situation is that surprising. I think views on him got inflated for whatever reason. He had shaky moments while at Molde didn’t look like a polished goalkeeper but 20 yo with lots of potential and things to work on. I think having this time to adjust and focus on his game without the pressure isn’t the worst thing. He has too many good qualities to not give him a couple more years to mature.

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think Steffen is clearly ahead of the other two. I’d make him the #1 and let the other two battle for the second spot. I’d give Steffen the majority of the minutes, unless he doesn’t perform. I’m not a fan of rotating goalkeepers and especially to a couple of guys that don’t look ready. Things could easily change by the fall, but right now Steffen is way ahead and I’d bet on Horvath as the guy that could challenge him of the other two.

ArsenalMetro and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen has shown nice shot blocking but his distribution has been poor and his angles can improve. He's def in lead but it would be a mistake to give him all the minutes. And the others just battle for 2nd. Id take a look at them all. We need them all getting looks at what international soccer is and means.

23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen distribution was fine vs Paraguay. I definitely would put him on top of the depth chart for now.

You right we are in a position that we can take a look. We have a lame duck in charge and it remains to be seen if he will take the "risk" of experimenting

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch the compilation video on Twitter showing his distribution. He connected on one long ball, and played 1 good pass to player in between defenders. The rest of the connected passes were to players that had no one around them. The rest of his long balls were lost. He played his outside backs into trouble on more than one play that cost a turnover in a dangerous place. His distribution was poor and he needs to improve in that area.