US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Mind-boggling selection. Nothing against Turner, he's fine. But there are several MLS keepers like Gonzalez and Frei who are better than him plus Horvath. The thing about Gonzalez is I honestly believe he's the best fit in our entire pool for "the system" but all he got was a camp cameo and no playing time. Not saying he's better than Steffen, he isn't, but he legitimately had field player level passing at times which is something no other US GK can claim.

TxEx and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You and me both.

I'd like to see Gonzalez and Turner get some options as no.3 in place of Guzan going forward. Once Horvath is playing again and starting for a decent club, hopefully it'll be Steffen, Horvath and any of Gonzalez or Turner. I'm surprised Johnson keeps getting many call-ups.

Heck, Hamid deserves at least 1 after his season. His words couldn't have caused that much tension among the other keepers.

Winoman repped this.
  3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Turner was fantastic this season in MLS -- he was better than Frei and Gonzalez, and younger than the former.

He deserves his call-up, even if they may deserve one as well.

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Steffen is starting today for Dusseldorf.

Does he get called in now?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Probably for the best that he doesn't.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    GK discussion has been active elsewhere, but we have new data points for this general US GK thread...

Goalkeepers: Sean Johnson, New York City FC; Bill Hamid, D.C. United; JT Marcinkowski, San Jose Earthquakes; Matt Turner, New England Revolution

... called up for the January MNT camp.

Edit: Reading elsewhere that Atlanta did not release Brad Guzan.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yes, Hamid is back.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not good enough. Never has been. I'd happily see him play another poor game if we could stop acting like he is a quality GK.

This could be the worst set of GKs we have had since the league started.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're saying a guy who arguably had his best performances in a MLS season can't manage a decent game against a B-squad from Costa Rica?

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I believe that's what he's been saying and saying and saying ...

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yes!!! He has never shown he had the tools to be an international quality GK. He is over hyped by those that dont understand the position. It is just wasted time on a never been/will be. We would have been better off calling in the kid from RSL.

12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yes, my posts have been as consistent as Hamids performances. He is fundamentally flawed and doesnt belong at the international level.

tomásbernal repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I guess we'll see but I disagree with you 100%

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JT needs to be getting games. I’m happy he got called in , I hope he upends Vega this season, but if he isnt called soon , Sacramento should take him off San Jose’s hands

15. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1065 manfromgallifrey91, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Bill Hamid is slightly better than Sean Johnson, but neither are honestly top 5 keepers at the position for the USMNT. Steffen, Horvath, Gonzales, Turner, Guzan in no particular order, and I think Tyler Miller is there with them. So to me, this is a wasted opportunity to not bring in younger prospects who have a chance to upend Steffen or Horvath for the position. Can they get the job done against the minnows theyll be playing, sure. But we can tell from the way they play the position, and have done so for years that neither Hamid nor Johnson are international quality.

Both lack in discipline over 90 minutes, both are exceptionally athletic keepers whose positioning is often flawed, angles are not closed down properly. They struggle in coming for the ball and getting there, and neither have really developed those areas, though I think Johnson has made the most strides. They will both make some spectacular saves, and let in some horrendous howlers.

The key to me, as a GK coach, is consistency. Id rather have a guy who is going to always be where he should be, and make standard saves, than a guy who relies on his athleticism to get saves.

Johnson actually to me surpassed Hamid in some areas, while Hamid still remains slightly better because of his superior athleticism, but man neither are exactly confidence boosters in goal.

16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually agree with @bsky22 on something. I used to like Hamid for his pure athleticism and spectacular saves, but the guy has never improved the other aspects of a goalkeeper's game. He's sketchy in the air, makes poor decisions regularly, and still makes head-scratching errors with enough regularity that I want none of it for the national team. I had hoped, when he was a young keeper, that he would wise up but he really hasn't. Pass (and while I'm passing, pass on Guzan, too).

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose needs to loan JT out to an MLS team if he’s not gonna start this year. His talent is obviously known. Vega in his defense is pretty good, but if JT is getting nata callups, he should be starting.

18. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not changing my tune. We should stop calling in these older guys. We know their ceilings.

Sean Johnson is 30.
    Bill Hamid is 29.
    They are what they are and that is not good enough except for third sting depth at best.

Every camp and game minutes being given to these guys is cutting into time we need to allocate to the younger guys who have potentially higher ceilings. Especially in camp cupcakes.

largegarlic repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That was painful to read!

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hopefully this season propels Gonzalez to a transfer abroad whether Mexico or Europe. He needs to be given more opportunities to cement himself as a no.3 to Steffen and Horvath.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I think about the Marcinkowski thing, the more I think of how peeved/disappointed Id be if I was a US keeper. Are Freii, Bono, Bingham, Melia such afterthoughts that theyll call in a second string keeper ahead of them?

Frankly if I was calling keepers in, Id take Frei over Hamid or Johnson

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's probably just called in to train. It's either Hamid or Johnson who will actually play.

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Every single position has at least one U23 eligible player in concert with an established USMNT player. It's very obviously a key point of this camp is to start integrating the younger generation while also prepping them for Olympic qualifying.

Marcinowski is the U23 player at keeper. Players like Melia, Bono, etc. don't make any sense in that context.

24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

Winoman repped this.