US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would put your aforementioned in the previous post and Bono in front of Cropper as an option

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bad.

dncm repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamid, Cropper, Bono and Steffen got called up.

I guess for Hamid it's too keep him warmed up for the start to the season with his new club, but seems an unnecessary risk.

Steffen should be the clear no.1 for this. I'd have left Hamid/Cropper and brought in Melia and Gonzalez

4. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez wasn't released. Dallas didn't release any of their players so they could focus on the CCL instead.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Ah, that makes sense. But why no Melia? This would be a worthy reward for his Goalkeeper of the Year selection.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont like Hamid going to camp when going to a new club, could have easily been Bono, Steffen, Cropper (y tho, id take Bendik ahead of Cropper handily), and Meila. Whose shoes did Bingham piss in halfway through the quakes season my goodness. Guess he gets a fresh shot with LA Gals.

ChuckMe92 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Exactly. Let Steffen lead with Melia/Bono there to provide competition.

Hamid should focus on his new club. He already knows he's in the running for no.1

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea as to how good or not good this guy is, but Kenneth Kronholm's agent says he's contacted U.S. Soccer and informed them Kronholm has an American passport and is eligible. He's 32 years old and the starter for Holstein Kiel, who are in 2nd place in the 2. Bundesliga. Born in Fort Belvoir, Virginia (could certainly have a military parent like many MNT German-Americans) but seems to have lived most of his life in Germany.
    https://www.liga-zwei.de/holstein-kiel-kronholm-bald-nationalspieler/

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    2nd division in Germany for an older player isn't particularly attractive.
    However, call him up to a Euro-based friendly to check him out. Nothing to lose.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree, but he's starting for the second place team.

If they get promoted, and he's still starting, he definitely deserves a call up.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is this David Yelldell 2.0?

13. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I've never seen this guy play, but I'd say the same thing about him that I said about Melia. Unless he is a very clear upgrade over guys already in the pool, don't call him in and dilute the opportunities for the younger guys. There's comparatively few minutes to go around for GKs, and I'd rather use those minutes to see which of the under-30 guys are effective at the international level.

If we want an older guy who's good enough to play for a bottom feeder in a big 4 league, we can always call in Guzan.

14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No harm in calling him into a camp to try him out. We aren't exactly dripping with keeper talent honestly. Outside of Jonathan Klinsmann we have no keepers in the big leagues getting mins. One in Belgium that's been benched and one in Denmark that hasn't even joined the team yet is our depth along with a handful of MLS players.

15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamid vs Steffen vs Gonzalez vs possibilities of Klinsmann/Horvath (regaining form) and the likes of Melia/Bono/Cropper.

The next few years are gonna be really interesting.

Winoman repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We are fine at keeper. Hamid, Steffen, Guzan is a quality 1, 2, 3.

We've got younger options coming, as well. Maybe Horvath figures out his struggles, potentially Bono, Gonzalez, and then we have a number of quality keepers in the YNT age groups.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would say that while keeper is an issue, it really is the least of our concerns.

For me the USMNT has a nice young core of keepers, centerbacks, and central midfielders. Yes, they still need to develop. There's depth of young talent there, though. Somebody will break thru in those positions. You get that core set and then it provides a platform for the skill players like Pulisic.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just so we're all on the same page, Horvath isn't even on the bench now for Brugge. Third string in Belgium isn't getting one close to the USMNT. It wouldn't for a field player. That's not to say we shouldn't call him up and challenge him in Euro-based camps/friendlies. I just can't even start Horvath for an experimental USMNT squad over the young MLS options (much less the Hamid types) until he gets back on track.

20. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I don't think we're anywhere near fine at keeper right now. That can change fast, but right now .... rooting for your #1 to find a starting spot in Denmark isn't exactly the same as having three or four starters in the English Premier League.

21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently I have Guzan as #1. I know he's not the future but he is playing and the #1 for his club. #2 is Steffen. Also undisputed starter for his club. #3 is Hamid only because his move made his starting spot uncertain. He should be the #1 keeper for his club because of the amount they paid for him but he hasn't even played a game yet. #4 is Horvath who is MIA in Belgium. After that it doesn't really matter but i'd keep an eye on Klinsman. He plays for the highest profile team out of all of them. If he could earn the #1 he would rocket up the depth chart.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Klinsmann has shown poorly just about every time he's played for USYNT's. I think everyone hopes he does well, but I've seen little indication that he's improved, and that him signing with Hertha Berlin was on merit. I think if we are going to start considering younger goalkeepers, we got 5-10 names that you start talking about before Klinsmann.

23. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right but the only reason I mentioned him was because of the team he's on.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK is a pool full of geriatrics and potential. Not a real keeper in sight at this point.