US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Go argue with Yashin.

2. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was certainly better than me and for sure as hell bigger than me....lol

Boysinblue repped this.
  3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's the photo, he wasn't huge. Back then keeper's height didn't seem that important. Somehow he grew up to 6'2" after his death. Those who knew him well thought he was closer to 6'0".

4. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Going to show my age and lack of deep soccer knowledge because my first thought when hearing the name Yashin, was Alexi, the hockey player. Oops.

CU soccer repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More from Steffen... not ideal

6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Kust FYI: Josh Cohen was a finalist for USL GK of the year before leaving for Israel. He lost to Crepeau. So it's quite possible he'd be an MLS starter by now. How good is another question.

7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Things are getting interesting. Turner may be the best of the bunch but he's not going to play more than a stray cup game here and there before Qatar. Steffen's errors just keep rolling in and Horvath is looking increasingly likely to have a much better season at the same level. I honestly don't see how you can play Zach if he keeps performing poorly. It's been quite some time since we've seen a performance out of him that merits the job. He had maybe 1 or 2 strong games through all of qualifying, a bunch of injuries and several games full of errors and questionable decision making. And his club play has been way too shaky to make up for any of it. I know Berhalter likes him but at some point even he has to start losing faith. In my estimation, Seffen needs a really strong series of games or at least a series of games where he doesn't make just a blatant and obvious error before he should be under consideration at this point. Safety first is important in goal and Zach hasn't looked very safe for a long time. It will be interesting to watch who gets the starts in the last couple of friendlies because this is one of the most up in the air positions on the field for the US right now.

8. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I would give Zach a break for that third goal above though. A quick low cross gives him no chance to get the ball before the header and a header from a couple yards out driven right into the ground isn't something I think is fair to expect a save on.

majspike and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yeah the third goal was kind of iffy but the 2nd goal was a microcosm of issues Zach has had ever since his his injury with Duesseldorf. No other way to put it, right now he is awful at playing balls in the air and I'd argue coming off his line in general. I'm not sure if its a confidence thing anymore or not.

Now obviously gonna give him more than 2 games but he's not looked that impressive in either at this point to where at some point it may be worth asking if Zack should be called up... now to be clear I'm not saying that is the case now but if he doesn't find form with Horvath, Johnson, and Slonona all finding form, it's a discussion worth having

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good thing is Steffen has been rusty but now he gets to show what he can do. If he can't do it it's great that it's now and not in the WC. He could also still be a little rusty and pulls himself out of it. If he's really bad and his club sits him I would think that's it unless all of other guys have similar issues. It's all on him - make or break.

gomichigan24 and TimB4Last repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people assume rust or confidence or injury but it could just be a case of "he's not really that good"... we seem to be getting more data points to support that.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this guy gets it

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He sure fooled City and Dusseldorf.

14. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Man C that gave him a $4M extension just last November. He's clearly not where he needs to be....not even close perhaps. But he's got a handful of matches before the September camp and the camp and 6 weeks after. We'll have way more data by which to make a final judgement before Qatar.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The timing of Turner's transfer is definitely going to make this a fascinating decision for Berhalter. Turner is safe for Qatar, and I cannot blame a player who is in his late 20s with barely $1 million in career earnings deciding to seize an opportunity with Arsenal, but the starter spot may have some twists and turns.

tomásbernal repped this.
  16. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Wave them in the air like you just don’t care?

tomásbernal repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having watched a bit of Horvarth and Steffen I think Johnson is #2 in Berhalter's mind right now. I know he let 3 in tonight but he also made some outstanding saves. And with Turner watching from the bench ....

18. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way it sits today (and that clearly can change) I have Horvath is my #1 and Steffen is working himself off the team. As much as I hate it he did not play well yesterday. Now I didn't get to see it but his SOFA score was one of the worst on his team.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  20. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoot maybe they should call in Cohen. Still think Horvath is the guy but once UCL starts perhaps Turner gets some matches.

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The million dollar question is whether Arsenal sticks with Ramsdale in Europa League. If they do, then Turner could potentially start only 1 match for Arsenal before the World Cup - a League Cup match in early November.

22. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luton lost its last match; is it Horvath or a combination of him and the defense?
    If Ramsdale is the GK in UCL, then Turner will be ill-suited for WC.
    Cohen needs to be the GK in September friendlies?

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I doubt Cohen is anywhere in the depth chart.

I suspect that Johnson and Slonina are currently 4/5 if there's an injury to the top 3.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I bet Gregg is looking for a chance not to take Horvath period. He is a walking coaches' heart attack.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen pushing a shot straight to the feet of an attacker didn't look good either. He still seems low on confidence.