US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part II

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Nov 7, 2011.

1. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Continued from part 1 which was closed due to length here

have at it...

1 person likes this.
  2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Saunders has done very well this year and really saved LA's butt a couple of times this season with some amazing saves. Saunders is prone to a gaff here and there but he is a pretty solid keeper and he is a great shot stopper. He worries me on corners and free kicks because he tends to go after the ball a lot and doesn't punch the ball far occasionally or he'll just straight up miss it. That is really my only concern with Saunders. He also has excellent reactions. He made a couple of phenomenal saves from really close which I know other goalies would have conceded.

3. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    Has Saunders ever expressed the desire to play for the US? If not, the depth chart looks like this, to me:

1. Howard
    2. Guzan (if he continues to play at club)
    3. Hamid
    4. Rimando
    5. Johnson
    6. Hall

Now, if Guzan goes back to the bench, I see Rimando jumping Hamid, back into the #3 role. If something happens to Hamid, I see Johnson jumping Rimando, into the #3/developmental role.

The way I see it, Howard is the unquestioned starter for a while. Hamid and Johnson are the only 2 in the discussion for the #3 GK role. That leaves the #2 spot open. To me, it's Guzan's job to lose. If he continues to get club minutes, the Hamid/Johnson battle is all that exists. However, if Guzan doesn't make a January move and loses the job when the starter returns from injury, the backup spot could become a bit more interesting.

Rimando would have to be the favorite, especially since Klinsmann has brought him in a few times. Hall is another guy that people seem to be high on again. It seems like the whole Yelldell, Westberg, Robles, Cervi craze is over. If Guzan returns to the bench, it seems like Saunders would have to beat out Rimando, with Hall and several other MLS vets right there.

4. core34510

core34510 New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, the third keeper spot should be for Hamid. Whether he is better than Rimando or not. In addition, the experience gained from being with the national team is far more valuable for young Hamid.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Depends on the situation.

If we had a World Cup Qualifier tomorrow and both Howard and Guzan were unavailable............we wouldn't go with a youngster like Johnson or Hamid. Those two have only one cap combined. We'd go with a veteran like Rimando. And let's be blunt, Kevin Hartman has been outstanding for FCD over the past two seasons. He's a better goalkeeper right now than Johnson or Hamid. So in an emergency, I'd even go with him over those two.

But as long as we're simply bringing a 3rd keeper into camps/friendlies/matches,etc.........might as well be a youngster like Hamid or Johnson. Or perhaps Klinsmann will become impressed by one of the other U23s in that camp going on right now. (Bingham of San Jose-who's apparently injured, Perk of the Galaxy, Matt Lampson of the Crew, Zac MacMath of the Union)

On a side note................

The keepers at our U20 level right now are almost complete mysteries to me. At our camp that's going on right now in Florida we've got Jesus Guzman of Santos Laguna, Daniel Medina Meza of Tigres, Tyler Miller of Northeastern, and Andrew Wolverton of Penn State. In previous camps we've had Jon Kempin of SKC and Cody Cropper from Ipswich. Of that bunch Cropper's the one that's been on the radar the longest, but he's pretty much still a mystery.

Let's not forget that FCD's Mexican sensation Richard Sanchez..............is actually still US eligible. He's a dual-citizen, eligible for a one-time switch. It's unlikely, but true.

6. core34510

core34510 New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very situational, but I agree, sort of. I don't think I'd take Hartman. He is old and last season I noticed he got beat more often from distance than he should, as a result of his diving not being as good, I'd assume. Yelldell/Hahnemann/Cervi would probably be better than Hartman and possibly Rimando. That debate is a bit irrelevant though.

Which do you think is the better of Johnson and Hamid?

Johnson(22)- 1.32 Goals Allowed /Game, 128 Saves

Hamid(21)- 1.31 Goals Allowed/Game, 97 Saves

Statistically they are very even. I have seen Hamid more than I have seen Johnson, and know that Hamid has great reflexes but lacks mental strength at times.

iirc Johnson is slightly more mistake prone, but I'm not sure about his other attributes.

So, Johnson or Hamid?

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no point in choosing between Hamid and Johnson now... let's see how they do at the Olympics, and where they both end up in the next few years. In the meantime we have other options at the position.

1. Howard

2. Guzan

3. Rimando
    4. Hamid/Johnson

5. Hall/Saunders/Kennedy
    6. MacMath/Bingham

7. Cropper/U20s

off the depth chart: Hahnemann, Yelldell, Cervi

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    God it's a toss-up for me now as well. I'll take Hamid by a nose.

Cervi? :)

He's made 7 career first team appearances, all in a lower Scottish division for Greenock. He's not close to the USMNT right now.

Hahnemann in the right situation? Fine. Although when was the last time he played?
    Yeldell in the right situation? Fine. Although he's had an awful year.

I guess you could say I'd have Hamid, Johnson, and Hall in some order between 4th and 6th on the depth chart........but it doesn't really matter. Hopefully they'll sort themselves out. I'd take Rimando if we had an important game tomorrow and Howard & Guzan weren't available.

9. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boaz Myhill, I am sure this has been discussed but is he officially captied to Wales or might he still maintain the one time transfer exception?

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's played 10 times for Wales. I bet one of those has cap-tied him.

I don't really understand the point of approaching Myhill anyway. We've got Howard and Guzan as the clear one and two.

Then we have a group of veterans and youngsters available for the #3 slot.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just my own humble opinion, but given how hard Hamid and Johnson blew at the Olympics, id bump Saunders and Kennedy up to their spot. Since none of our youngsters are stepping up, time for those guys to get a fair shake. On current form i prefer them over Rimando even.

Im still bewildered Buschy never got a shot, and i wish we would loan Bingham out to Tampa Bay/Orlando because hes an outstanding keeper in his own right who needs games

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think people disagree with that.

Most people simply believe that if Howard and Guzan are on a roster..................you might as well bring a youngster in as the #3.

That doesn't mean Hamid or Johnson is in fact #3..................if that makes sense.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes perfect sense.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, its a plenty reasonable argument. If we are on #3 GK anyways its a bad deal. As far as talent goes its pretty much a free for all at number three, and i think you could argue calling in Saunders or Kennedy in instead sends a message that if you dont perform then your not playing with the big boys.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we need to throw Johnson or Hamid out for just two games in the U-23s. If they start playing like complete dog turds in MLS regularly then yes. But for now, lets let them see what the MLS season holds.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just noticed since its relative to the discussion, Hamid on the bench and Joe Willis is now starting for DC United. Im pretty sure hes healthy too, and its been a few games now since Willis took the starting job.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I haven't checked, but I think Sean Johnson might have lost his job as well.

18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am calling for Guzan to take Howard's spot in the next couple of years if Guzan leaves Aston Villa. Guzan is so underrated on there forums because he isn't a starter but after what I saw when Guzan was starting for Villa a few months ago, my opinion of Guzan went up immensely. He has clearly learned a lot from Freidel and Given and I think if Guzan was playing consistently his quality would show.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is Big Soccer.

What might be clear to some folks might not quite be the same for others.

you dig?

Myhill joined the Aston Villa Youth program at age 12 apprenticing under Mark Bosnich, David James, Peter Schmeichel and Peter Enckelman. He signed his first professional contract immediately after turning 18. Only 29, he has played in 309 Premier League and Championship league contests.

Guzan became a professional at age 23. In four full seasons with Villa and in a brief loan to Hull City in 2011, he has appeared in 24 matches.

Tbh, I'm not even sure he is JK's #2. He has not played for the USA since 2010.

I think we are clear about Howard. :)

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Are these all league matches? Or do they also include matches from cup competitions that he's played in?

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The total for Guzan appears to be 35 League and Cup games, interestingly, Wikipedia lists it at 32 for some reason.

22. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Exactly one, I think. Lichtenstein-Wales in 2009.

1 person likes this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well.........Boaz Myhill sure has a nice resume. He's also not eligible for the USMNT. (if that post above is accurate, and I don't know why it wouldn't be)

I think a lot of us are "projecting" when it comes to Guzan. He played very well for Villa this past year when Given was out. His contract runs out this summer, and he's being linked to a whole host of clubs looking for a starting keeper.

I do believe he's our clear #2. If we had a WCQ tomorrow and Howard was out, I do believe JK would go with Guzan. He certainly wouldn't go with Johnson, Hamid, etc. It would probably be between Guzan and Rimando.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know this is a healthy debate on number 3 goalkeeper, which is trivial, but its what we do here :p, i guess i just rate Kennedy and Saunders higher than most people. Id put both of them above Rimando on the form of the past two seasons. its not like either of them are Hartman/Cannon/Busch/Reis old either (all still darn good keepers all things considered)

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas