US El Salvador, the forwards

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Sep 2, 2021.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent was pathetic. Konrad and Aaronson did nice things on occasion. There didn’t seem any what I call theory of goals. Like, ask yourself…what was the main threat to score under Berhalter’s plan. Combine around the box? Score in transition? Force the other team to concede the wide areas and cross it in?

The answer is there wasn’t one. We only had a theory of maintaining possession.

comoesa, Guinho, Baysider and 5 others repped this.
  2. VictoryWePredict4Thee

VictoryWePredict4Thee BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 4, 2019
    We honestly didnt have that many great chances.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very disappointed with Sargent that game, again

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Siebatcheu came on and immediately looked like he was on the verge of overpowering El Salvador on every attack. Food for thought, particularly for upcoming away matches.

5. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Nothing about Josh’s club or national team play suggests he should be our starting striker.

Zardes in a heartbeat if he’s not injured.

Dolemite, The Clientele, FTGOTC and 2 others repped this.
  6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He was my choice to start today. I was disappointed to see Josh get the start, though I liked his activity. But he needs to be better close to goal...

All the wingers except for Reyna in the second half were poor. IMO 2nd half Reyna and Tyler Adams were my MOTMs.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  7. VictoryWePredict4Thee

Jul 4, 2019
    Zardes sucks as well.

taylor repped this.
  8. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Maybe, but at least he isn’t tentative.

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have said previously that Sargent is an overrated player who probably wasn't going to get much better and I was met with derision. Hmm.

taylor, Rep_Le_Rouge and SpencerNY repped this.
  10. VictoryWePredict4Thee

Jul 4, 2019
    Yeah guys were way too tentative tonight I agree.

11. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be the grumpy delusional old man and say Altidore probably shouldn't be frozen out of this team yet. He's only 31. I know he's been spotty for TFC lately and maybe he's just THAT washed now, but having a grown ass man in there for spots like this is something to consider. Do we really have more faith in Sargent to net one? I think it might be premature.

Good news is we have options. Sargent will keep developing. We have Pefok, Altidore, Hoppe, Dike, and others. Somebody from that group can get it done.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a grumpy and delusional old man and I think we should go full YOLO and throw Pepi in the mixer as the starter next game

FTGOTC, Rep_Le_Rouge, sXeWesley and 3 others repped this.
  13. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still need to see what a healthy Daryl Dike can do with this team. We didn’t see him healthy in Gold Cup. Sargent was not great, but he is still better than Pefok, even though people won’t want to accept that. There’s a reason Pefok couldn’t stick in France- poor first touch, mediocre hold up play.

until we can see what Pepi can do, we need to stick with Sargent. There was one play in particular late in the first half, where Sargent chested a through ball and tried to hit it off the volley… it didn’t come off… but none of Pefok, Zardes, Dike, Gioacchini, etc even come close to controlling that. I’m willing to see what Pepi can do, and I think Hoppe should’ve been on the roster, AND PLAY HIM AT STRIKER. This all just goes along with my main issue with Gregg, which is talent evaluation.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but his production does not.

comoesa and tomásbernal repped this.
  15. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good Lord, I think I actually agree with you. I thought I was ready to completely freeze out all of the old guard, but no one can take the bull by the horns at striker. I’d love to see Jozy get some consistent run out for his club, and see if anything can come from it. He’s undoubtedly got more technique than Pefok, and no one can doubt his passion for the Crest.

DIMITAR BERBATOV! repped this.
  16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our play in the final 3rd was execrable: bad touches, bad passes, inability to get a shot off, and when we did, lacking in actually getting the shot on goal.

I'm 65 years old and I think I'd get my the ball out of my feet faster than Sargent.

Ridiculous play from the center forward.

The wingers were disappointing with the possible exception of Konrad who, showed some flashes.

I'd start Pefok in Nashville.

I think Berhalter is gonna regret not bringing Hoppe to this dance.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sargent anything but a striker. He just gets frozen and can't choose what to do. Miles Robinson is a better player than Sargent and none of them can play striker. Should we stick Miles there? Play striker at striker, or at least someone who can score like Gio.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  18. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a clown take. Gio did do so much scoring tonight…. Sargent does what he can. He’s our most technical forward by a landslide. He holds it up well, drops back defensively, and works hard. Unfortunately his goal scoring confidence is shot by playing for Werder and then Norwich… not that he got much better service tonight than he does at club level.

19. VictoryWePredict4Thee

Jul 4, 2019
    o_O

sXeWesley repped this.
  20. VictoryWePredict4Thee

Jul 4, 2019
    Is that really the best we can do? I'd like to see Hoppe given more of a chance. I don't care if we need to put Pulisic up top, but Zardes aint the guy.

imasyko and sXeWesley repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Technical, smechnical. He is a winger. That's where Norvich playing him, that's where Werder ended up playing him. I was hearing for two years that he had bad service, he could have had Zidane playing behind him and wouldn't be scoring anyway. Although Zidane might have kicked his ass of the field.

Rep_Le_Rouge repped this.
  22. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not gonna argue with someone who can’t see beyond a stat line… but Werder played him at wing because they knew how valuable he was on the field, but he was wasted at striker where he got barely any touches. So they put him somewhere he could influence the game.

I couldn’t care less what sargents stat line says, he’s a good player who has been in awful club situations that have shot his confidence. He has more potential than any striker in the pool with the exception of Pepi, who Gregg doesn’t seem to want to play.

23. Orioles Magic

Orioles Magic Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 30, 2020
    I agree with you. I think Pepi is the best striker on the roster, in the best form of any attacking player on the roster tonight except Reyna, and the most likely to score goals when deciding between him, Sargent, and Pefok.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    OK, I, actually like the kid. He does whatever he can. Not his fault that we need a striker more than winger and stick him there. But he isn't a striker, never been, never will.

Rep_Le_Rouge repped this.
  25. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hoppe should be on the plane to Nashville tomorrow. Pefok starts against Canada with Pepi on at 60 if he's ineffective and Hoppe starts on the road against Honduras. What a pathetic display.