US @ El Salvador 3/28 Visiting Supporter Question

Discussion in 'El Salvador' started by thethinwhiteduke, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    hello all, i am a US supporter who is heading down to San Salvador for the match on 3/28. i had a few questions i was hoping some people could help out with that have been there before. assuming the match is at Estadio Cuscatlán, is that walking distance from the Sheraton San Salvador Presidente? more importantly, what is the atmosphere like around the stadium before the match? where will people be drinking, partying and waiting for the match? what are ticket prices usually like for the matches there? many thanks...

2. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Okay firstly, the match will be at Estadio Cuscatlán. There is no doubt about that. Secondly, if your staying at the Sheraton Presidente, then yes you're relativley close to the stadium. It's probabaly a 5-10 minute drive at the most, depending on the traffic. If you wanna walk it, it'll probabaly be more like 30-40.

As for the atmosphere, well it gets pretty hectic on matchday and the days leading up to it. On matchday people will be partying and drinking. Although, the drinking will be done during or after the game, as security won't allow alcohol or anyone that's already under the influense into the stadium. On matchday, streets will be blocked off and there will be a lot of security to make sure everything goes as it should. There will always be a lot of people outside the stadium, on that day, as many will buy there tickets at the last minute, or get there just before kickoff.

In regards to the prices, well they wont be released until sometime next week. But to give you a rough idea, this is what the prices were like for the game v Trinidad:

Sol General - $ 8.00
    Sol Preferente - $15.00
    Sombra - $20.00
    Tribuna - $40.00
    Platea - $60.00

Prices for the US game, and all games from here on out will be lower though, due to public demand.

Some advice would be to not walk to or from the stadium. Especially, if you plan on wearing a US top or taking a US flag (which i wouldn't recommend). What you should do, is just ask the hotel to call you a cab, and get there that way. On the way out, again, you should look for the nearest cab and get back to your hotel like that.

And as for where you sit, well i'd highly recommend you sit in Platea or Tribuna. Platea is were most of the visiting supporters will be, and even though they tickets there are more expensive, it'll be worth it as you wont have the problems of dealing with any rowdy fans in your area. Also, if you don't plan on driving there yourself, or joining another group of foreigners, then i would recommend you wear something that doesn't affiliate you with the US. If you were driving there, or with other people then i would say just wear whatever you wanted. But if you're thinking of going alone, and possibly walking there, then again, i'd recommend you not wear any US gear.

Hope it helps.

3. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

El Cuscatleco said it all mate. Hopefully your going with a group man, and not with one or two. If i were you i would buy the 40 or 60$ ticket you will be pretty safe there mate.

Have fun man, and remember no matter what kind of problems you may face at the game, were not all like that. :eek:

4. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    I have had a good amount of experience traveling to away matches and have faced some hostile crowds so all the tips are VERY welcomed but I would never make any generalizations based upon that. Thanks for the tips...

5. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    All of this information is a HUGE help, thank you very much. I really couldn't have asked for more. I will be traveling to and from San Salvador by myself but am planning on meeting up with some US supporters to get to and from the match. If we were to drive, is parking near the stadium relatively easy? Taking a cab to the stadium will probably be the way we go but Ive had some tough experiences getting a cab leaving matches after so am exploring alternatives. Many thanks again for the info.

6. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well you can park in the stadium car park, but the only problem there is that it's going to be pretty full on when your trying to get out. What most people do, is park a few blocks away and then just walk to the stadium. That way you'll save yourself the hassle of waiting for all the traffic to go once the game is over. If you get there early, say an hour before the game then you should be fine to find parking in or around the stadium. As for getting a cab, well you're right, it will be tough getting one after the game. Cause although there will be plenty of cabs around the stadium, there will also be a lot of people who will be looking to take a cab home. What you could do though (if you go there in a cab), is tell the driver to meet you at a certain place after the game (maybe 2-3 blocks away from the stadium), that why you won't miss out. Only thing there though, is that as your hotel is not that far, then there is always the possiblity that if someone else goes up to the taxi driver and asks him to take him somewhere further then the driver will take the bigger fare. So yeah, to be on the safe side, i'd proabably just higher a car or go with a group that already has one.

7. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    video and pictures would be appreciated here. make sure you visit lips or whatever is the cool new strip club san sivar ;)

8. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    i believe that most strip clubs encourage people to take videos, correct? ;)

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    if you are a foreigner be carefull man, is not that we hate everybody from the US but soccer games are tough back at home, we dont do it just with foreigners but also in the local games. people gets a little out of hand sometimes.

enjoy and be ready for an adventure. takes lots of pictures.

10. Pepsinono redder

Pepsinono redder Red Card

Jul 30, 2008
    MD/DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    So there is no problem getting a camera into the stadium? The list of items not allowed says Cameras...I'm going to the game as well and I want to take my camcorder in...Just want to be sure that I can though...

EC, thanks for the info, it's really been helpful. You got repped. :cool:

11. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    will do. thank you.

12. Es.Pacheco.15

Es.Pacheco.15 New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Yes take care. Salvadorians are passionate in soccer. Especially now cuz the selecta is doing good. What I recommend is get out of the stadium quick after the game and especially if El Salvador won. Also if El Salvador loses try to act like you are disappointed so that you show that you are a US fan.

13. Es.Pacheco.15

Es.Pacheco.15 New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    To show you are NOT a fan of the US.

14. Mapo818

Mapo818 Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Van Nuys , CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just with all the excitement , don't forget to try our delicious pupusas !!!! you can get them at any spot.

15. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah pupusas are a must while you're there. You should try and go through Olocuilta on your way from the airport to San Salvador (you'll be going straight passed it while you're on the freeway). Although if you want the best ones, then stay away from the rice flour ones and go for the traditional corn flour style. ;)

Also, if your looking for something to eat during the game, then i'd highly recommend you buy yourself a burger from one of the vendors inside the stadium. You'll most likely here bad things about how they are made, but it's all lies. They're pretty basic, with just the meat, cheese, onion, sauce etc. But they are great. Definitely up there with the best burgers i've ever had. Not at that Biggest level, but very very good. :D

16. Nejapa_503

Nejapa_503 New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Alianza FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Aww man you HAVE to get a Biggest burger while you're over there...
    I'd recommend the 1/2 lb Biggest burger 'a lo Biggest' (largest size) hehe
    I'll upload a pic of the menu later w/ prices...makes me want to go back.
    Also I prefer the rice pupusas now..I think they have a better flavor but you cant go wrong trying out both types :D

17. lchino84

lchino84 New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    damn i was just there last week and readin your post is makin me wanna go back..