US - Cuba; player ratings [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by uniteo, Jul 8, 2005.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Or pass. Although I do understand that he made some unusually good crosses yesterday.

I agree with you, Frankie's attitude is a major plus. That's why he'll be on the '06 roster.

Ouch! Well, at least Arena learned what he wanted to learn.

Generous. I salute him for his guts in putting out a weaker lineup against Cuba, but between all the player & formation tinkerings, this was a bit too much. I think that he put some guys in position to fail.

If they weren't rioting by halftime, they were damn good fans.

2. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    True. It should have been a corner. It ended up being a goal kick.

3. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Huh?

Davis had nothing to do with that goal. Zero. Nada. The null set.

First there was a muffed clearance attempt by DM Beasley off the throw-in, followed by a lost 50/50 tackle by Frankie Surfer, the ball was then played out wide to the Cuban winger Cervantes who beat Ben Olsen down the line. Cervantes crossed the ball past the awkward defensive maneuvering of one stranded Tony Sanneh. The Cuban goal scorer was More and he was clearly and definitely Sanneh's mark without question. Sanneh F'd up big time on this cross. More one timed his shot off of the shin of Hahneman into the net. Hahneman probably should have made a kick save on the play.

There was plenty of US blame to go around on the goal but none of it falls at the feet of Davis. Brad Davis was tracking his man and the play into the Penalty Area and Davis arrived into the field of vision after the ball was in the net. Davis had his man covered who was on the far wing outside of Davis when the ball was served.

4. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was one play where Brad Davis crossed a ball to the far post, it bounce once and Dempsey slid in and hit it over from a foot or 2 out.

5. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Maybe beating a dead horse, but I agree with those who have expressed caution about Dempsey. In and out of the match, much more vigorous in the second half, but did blow several finishes in front of the net. Sanneh, Conrad, Quaranta, Olsen didn't show they belong at this level--this is Cuba after all. Davis was inconsistent, and Casey is indeed a mystery--hard to believe that's a starting forward in the Bundesliga. And, although I think Arena does a generally good job of player selection (with a few oddities, but he's human), why not take a look at Burciaga at left back, our weakest and most unsettled spot?

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think there is a St. Louis connection there somewhere?

Davis did make some good passes, and many, including me, may have overstated his not so good play. But that rating is way excessive.

And Quarenta tripped or dallied in a way that wasted two super opportunities in the box. :cool:

7. dc 1sided

dc 1sided New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Virginia
    Bruce - About the lineup, no real surprise as it's how the Bruce operated in the last Gold Cup. Look at that roster and you'll see a horde of "no names", or at least they were the date they took the field. He gets a plus 3 for including Conrad and Quaranta, a minus 3 for including Sanneh and Olsen.

I really won't rate until after Cuba scored, because the entire team was miserable and lost until then.

Hahnemann - 5 - I thought he got caught watching on the goal, maybe he could have come out another step and cut the angle a little. Could have been crocheting doilies the rest of the time.

Conrad - 5 - First cap. I liked him, don't really know why. Want to see more. His first long pass was right on target, the next 15, not so much. Always seemed composed. Which brings us to...

Sanneh - 2 - Unlike Jenna Jameson, seems confused and timid when balls are bouncing around. Only player who stayed inept after the Cuba goal. Had a really nice lefty cross.....so what?

Hejduk - 8 - Gets really bad press here on BS. In a mad scramble in the defensive end, he's a mess. But I will put him against the other team's best 1v1 every time before anyone else in a Nats jersey. He wouldn't win every battle, but the majority and then some. And there he is going forward! And there he is in the middle of the field with pro foul to stop a dangerous counter attack! And there he is with a pass around 2 defenders, to himself, in the box! I'm just saying he gets around, he's exciting to watch and he's productive. I can't help but think if he was wearing a Cherundolo jersey people would be quite pleased with his play. My man of the match until Aldo Nova showed up.

Armas - 5 - I guess I still see something here. Wins a whole lot of balls. If he would only stop passing to the first person he sees. Just cut it down to the first person on his team that he sees, could be very, very effective. It's what the Nats need, bad.

Olsen - 3 - The very first picture I saw of the camp in Portland (?) was of Benji pulling at someone's jersey from behind. "From Behind" should be his middle name. Love him at DC, not good enough for Nats.

Davis - 5 - First cap. Looked pretty good to me. Want to see more. I didn't see any problem with his speed.

Quaranta - 6 - First cap. Excellent holding possession. Wasn't able to make his mark until the Cubans were tired. Similar to his play for DC this season, looked bad in front of the net. Still better than average, nice assist, want to see more.

Dempsey - 7 - He's the most fun to watch player, at the moment. He really is in the right spot so often. That sliding shot he missed was really a lot tougher than it looked. He was basically just lunging at full stretch. Still, can't help but feel that he dogs it sometimes. Maybe it's just his style. If he had Olsen's drive?

Beasley - 6 - He was playing yin to Dempsey's yang for a bit and that didn't work. Except for a goal, I know, I know. I like the idea of him playing an AM or withdrawn forward, but only when he' playing yin to Donovan's yang. That's pretty ferocious.

Casey - 3 - Timber!!!! Sigh. I'm sure he would have done better with better players around him, but too bad, he did nothing against Cuba. He poses no danger other than being an obstacle that the ball could bounce off of and go into the net. Which hasn't happened, either. It's not good enough to show for the ball and distribute. Any forward can do that. In any league.

Donovan - 10 - Didn't you just know he would score? Terrific free. That's another thing the Nats need. Seize it by the horns, boy!

Wolff - 5 - Won a couple corners. Yawn. Would probably be a pretty good hockey player. If only he could pick the ball up and run with it instead of that whole dribbling and kicking thing. I just don't think he's good enough.

O'Brien - NA - think I saw him touch the ball twice. Definitely want to see more.

Fun game! Any Canadians (Canadiens) care to wager? I win - a dozen glazed donuts. You win - a dozen glazed NFL running backs.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The near post shot he put into the side netting was a sitter. Why? Because the goalie was laying on the ground out of the play. If Dempsey puts it on target from five yards, it's a goal.

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Hahnemann - 5
    Hejduk - 6
    Conrad - 5
    Sanneh - 4
    Armas - 4.5
    Olsen - 5
    Quaranta - 6.5
    Davis - 5.5