US-Costa Rica, the tactics and subs

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Oct 13, 2021.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. GB outsmarted himself again, starting Steffen.
    2. McKennie should have come off. He was an accident waiting to happen.
    3. Too much dribbling. GB has to do something about that.
    4. I liked that there was a mix of taking the wide space and pumping in crosses, and also trying to combine around the box.
    5. GB got lucky that Arriola got hurt; Weah played very well and Arriola just isn't capable of creating that much danger at this level.

sXeWesley and Winoman repped this.
  2. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was cheering the Hoppe sub but he seemed lost. Not bad but just not really in the right place most of the time. He seemed better once we moved to the two forward lineup.

Zardes was a solid sub. Honestly I just wish we'd assign him that role and never start him. He's shown really well as a sub and seems to find a way to make an impact even if he doesn't score.

Busio showed so much class with those passes. I am coming around to the thought of it's not a matter of if when McKennie is a sub and Busio and Musah are starting it's a matter of when and that day may arrive before the World Cup.

There's not much I can criticize about the line-up overall. It's what we all wanted to see. it created a lot of pretty football. One can gripe about Steffen but Turner's distribution was terrible and he just never really seems in control. Steffen seemed fine and in control after that one save. We really need him to get regular minutes somewhere.

dark knight repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this might be the better lineup at home. McKennie is in some kind of funk, I hope he snaps out of it.

Winoman repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greg's subs were on point today, I will absolutely give credit there.

Steffen, wont beat the guy down anymore. Absolutely the worst coaching decision today that Greg made, though by starting him. No clue why he would do that.

Was griping on it in the game day thread. Weah was such a creator and asset. Imagine if we had started Arriola in his place. Surely we are done with Arriola now, right?

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Also got to give GB some credit for his rotation plan - we were miles fresher than Costa Rica. With a team that old - was it necessary though? If we hadn’t got the win, it would have been a huge disaster for him.

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like to say it, I thought we were better off after Paul Arriola had the pregame injury.

Starting 5 guys that it never played together in back looked scary.

But Richards really needs to play, he's got tremendous talent and we needed to blood him.

We really should've subbed 8 to 10 minutes earlier, guys were dying.

Then again Weah scored the winning goal while dead, no matter what the official scorer said.

I really like the choice of Busio when Musah hit the wall, so glad he didn't bring Acosta and Lletget.

Winoman and Numero Dos repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta ended his consecutive games streak. FYI Lletget wasn't in the 23.

8. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Arriola’s injury is the second most important injury in US soccer history…close behind Chris Armas in 2002.

Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.