US-Canada, the midfield

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Sep 5, 2021.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams did alot of good things, but that foul/yellow was childish. Lletget and Acosta were pretty good. But the combination of them didn't work, AT ALL.

lmorin and Winoman repped this.
  2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If only we had been able to put this team in a position this summer where other teams, in games that matter, would ask questions of us and we’d see if we had the answers.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Adams is the truth. Pulisic maestroed the best he could, but he needs more help

4. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the potential penalty. The 3-2-5 shape in possession sucks and has never worked for us unless the opponent was overwhelmed, but it would be much better with a legit connector like Reyna or CP in the Lleget/Aaronson whatever spot.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The whole midfield setup is flawed. I get that Berhalter wants attacks to be created from diagonal passes, but when those come from either the CBs or from Adams dropping in with the CBs, it's really easy to defend and it renders the two advanced CMs meaningless.

The 6 as a playmaker thing just doesn't work with this team. It's past time to give up on it. Play Adams as a defensive-minded CM, ideally paired with McKennie as a box-to-box, with someone creative in front of them. Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Sargent. I don't care, someone needs to be in that role, because we're totally toothless there, and it makes defending against us extremely easy.

majspike, schrutebuck, JUnionFan and 2 others repped this.
  6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the good that Adams did, he might've cost us a win by stopping our own breakaway with a stupid foul.

Yeah, I want to see the guy that kept fouling Christian dumped also, but pick your right time and place. Needs some lessons from Jermaine on how to do this stuff right.

Sebastian had a pretty strong game and it's nice to see a guy that's not afraid to shoot albeit not well. However, we really need a guy in his position that can carry the ball more effectively.

Acosta was disappointing, he's much better as a 6 than an 8.

Marko72 and lmorin repped this.
  7. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams put out a lot of fires defensively tonight. He had a good game.

I thought Lletget was our best player in the 1st half. He faded in the 2nd a bit, but he's a good role player for us when surrounded by our A-team and deserves to be around the team, IMO.

Acosta didn't have his best night, but it was also frustrating to see Pulisic taking all of the free kicks instead of him. If Kellyn Acosta is on the field, I want him taking virtually every free kick.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    #8 Ghost, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    It's not good when the other team cuts off your backpassing lane because you do it so much. (Lletget).

Winoman and nbarbour repped this.
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unless we start playing a double pivot (either a 4231 or in a 343) acosta should be only be on the pitch when adams isnt. you can talk about all the positions he "can" play all you want- he is only an asset to this team as a 6. period.

he wasnt offensively capable in the gold cup, why would he be now? he is an eight like yueill is a 6, and the reason we know these kinds of things is because berhalter uses players so spectacularly poorly.

anyways, adams was/is the bees knees. acosta gave nothing to an offense that doesnt exist. lletget played well in that he wasnt overly negative, did take a couple of cracks, had a few very nice balls in trying to build.

is it even worth mentioned rodan wasnt able to get anything going in his 7 minutes (and dont think for a second thats a knock on roldan)?

Craig P, superdave and majspike repped this.
  10. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team sorely needs a midfield manager who can and will direct the attack. Pulisic is not given the ball nearly enough. Someone needs to be responsible for spraying the ball from side to side and picking the proper slots through which to make penetrating passes. It's just not happening enough. CP needs to receive more balls for him to run onto and, per Lalas, not come back to get them with his back to the target goal. He is at his best when played in toward the goal. So, who can do this management job; who should? Adams? but this gives up much of his defensive contribution. Reyna? takes away a lot of his attack. Acosta? passing not good enough. McKennie? too scattered and not a director. Aaronson? Possibly, but likely not there yet, and if so, would reduce his attacking significantly.

11. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    It’s got to be Reyna or Musah. There’s just not anybody else who has the variety of passes, the consistency, or vision to do it. The team was crying out for even a Jose Francisco Torres type against El Salvador to circulate the ball consistently in midfield. And against Canada the center backs passed between themselves until they:

A. Had an angle to play Jedi, who to his credit consistently tried to beat his markers.
    B. Humped it up to Jordan, who won a couple, but lost most.
    C. Played a meandering, elevated switch that even a defense stuck in maple syrup had time to adjust to.

Winoman and lmorin repped this.
  12. munovalente

munovalente Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 29, 2021
    Do wonder if when we are going with Acosta and Adams together if it's worth trying Adams as the more advanced of the two. Acosta has been better at DM than CM and Adams seems cleaner with the ball.

Winoman and lmorin repped this.
  13. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lletget and Acosta may have roles on the 23, but they should never be paired together. Killed our attack. Acosta’s only real use is as a destroyer 6. Lletget shouldn’t only be played higher up if at all. He stagnates our possession in the middle and provides no resistance on defense.

Adams is theoretically best as a 6 with McKennie and Musah ahead of him. Two players that can progressively carry the ball and have some defensive bite. As is, I’d switch to a 3-4-3 with a double pivot of Adams & McKennie.

Winoman and juveeer repped this.
  14. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Good point, but I’m assuming the actual plan was for ONE of them to partner McKennie ahead of Adams.

15. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that rigidity of all on Berhalter.

16. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever the true reason for McKennie's ban last night, he needed to be in the midfield. Berhalter is never accountable for the decisions he makes or does not make. We are not going to qualify: I stopped watching the USMNT when Berhalter became the coach. His lack of strategy during the first year of his "reign" seems to be repeating itself all over again. His relative success in NL or GC play didn't prepare this team for the qualifiers. Without McKennie, Reyna, Adams and Lletget or Aronson in the midfield there is no way we will beat Honduras away. And it will only get harder in the next 11 matches. The midfield should be the way we move the ball whether there's an effective front three or back four. Looks like I'll be cancelling my YouTube subscription.

17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Acosta works at the 8 and he’s much better at the 6.

We missed Musah badly this window so I hope he’s good to go by October.

I think you got to play Pulisic in the middle for the US. It’s where he’s had his best games for the US.

Adams was great other than the idiotic yellow card.

18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while you began with/have arrived at the correct conclusion, you cant exactly say you havent watched since hes been manager and speak to what hes done wrong. its one or the other, man.

ArsenalMetro repped this.