US-Canada, the defense

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Sep 5, 2021.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks was poor, especially on the goal. Dest and Yedlin were both poor.

2. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Gregg out.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miles and Jedi good. Brooks, Dest, and Yedlin poor

4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest was way better today. I suspect he was motivated by playing against Davies, but I'll take the improved effort. Yedlin always gives effort but he's never been some top class performer. He did well. The back line was not the problem, again.

5. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Say what you want, if ream is playing the US wins 1-0.

Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Miles Robinson is looking like the top choice CB for us, regardless of circumstance. Swap in others based on specific needs, but M Robinson is a lock.

The Clientele and Hawkfan_08 repped this.
  7. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he did not.

8. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest was good cause he’s a right back, is our best RB by a mile and Yedlin completely sucks and directly, personally lost us the game.like WTF if that was Dest it’s be the only thing anyone is talking about. Yedlin is complete garbage.

Yedlin is terrible. A rob was MOTM. Jedi on the left Dest on the right is our best fullback pairing by miles and that 3G doesn’t get it is as egregious as 81st minute subs. Completely moronic.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest's decision making in the final third was horrible. Beating a man with the dribble doesn't mean shit if you don't know what to do after that.

Numero Dos repped this.
  10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God it is the greatest irony, a position where we have Dest, Duncan, Herrera, Reynolds, Scally, et al at right back, and RIGHT BACK is the position that does us in today.

11. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    If Berhalter watched the difference and still doesn't think we need Robinson on the left and best to leave Dest on the right, there is no hope.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I was ok with Dest. I was not ok with Yedlin. Brooks was rather shockingly poor. He is our most enigmatic up-and-down player. There are times when he is one of our 2-3 best players on the entire side. And then there are nights like tonight.

I don't know why, but it seems as though he excels in the summer tournaments, and he fares poorly in qualifying. That's just a gut feeling...

olephill2 repped this.
  13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Kinda. It was Brooks as much as anyone.

tomásbernal repped this.
  14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's fair.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah there is plenty of blame to go on Brooks for that for sure. He just moved himself to the bench. Id be all for an all-MLS central defense at this juncture. Zimmermann and Miles Robinson seemed to work out well together.

16. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He lost the ball twice after beating multiple dudes, including Davies and 3 times he connected with a teammate after beating multiple dudes, including Davies.

Dest is held to a bullshit standard I can’t recall since young Donovan.

Boysinblue, Winoman and nbarbour repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be right after a 2nd viewing.

Don't know if I have the stomach for it.

The Clientele and sXeWesley repped this.
  18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have it paused at the 15 minute mark now. Clearly I hate myself.

19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were walking a tight rope every time they played a decent through ball, and eventually fell off.

For a team that very seldom gets behind the other team on offense, maybe we will take a lesson in how it's done.

20. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you taking his ole act on the goal into account?

21. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Against a packed in defense looking to break on the counter like Canada was doing, Dest was not helping the team. Unless he was going to continue and dribble through 5 more players, all he was doing was bringing the ball into the middle of the pitch and losing it. Which is exactly what Canada would want as they would spring the counter.

Now, if that was the game plan I concede your point and good lord GGG is dumber than even I think.

But chances are that was not the game plan, which meant Dest was showing off the level of his soccer IQ if he actually though he was doing anything that was helping the team.

As we showed on our goal, the way we score and win is fast, quick passing and movement. Dest never did this. He would ignore passes to wide open players next to him. He would ignore any sort of run Aaronson was making - I don't think Dest sent a through ball down the line once all game. He was playing hero ball and it was hurting the team.

Dest is a great player - and I don't even mind his defensive issues like others do - but what he is currently best at is not really contributing to the offense and is not helping. Unless you are content waiting for the 1 in 100 play where he dribbles through the defense and scores all by himself, we need smarter play from him.

tomásbernal, juveeer and The Clientele repped this.
  22. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely ridiculous. Our best chance before the goal came from him beating Davies and a bunch of other dudes and then playing in Aaronson who hit a good ball in that nearly resulted in an OG.

This makes zero sense. Against a packed in defense CP and Dest are our only ********ing hope of even threatening, outside of the press. Games like this are made for Dest.

Moreover he is constantly our only player able to transition us from defense to attack without just hitting 50/50’s and when he is doing that wingers like Davies have to chase him. This shit is soccer 101.

Davies was camped out in our half once Yedlin came on because he’s completely ********ing useless and can’t defend ANY better or more reliably than Dest. Yedlin GAVE them a goal ffs, how are we even talking about Dest being a weakness?

nobody and nbarbour repped this.
  23. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Well if that one play was enough to make you happy, then we will have to agree to disagree. Personally I don't think giving the ball to your RB and hoping he is going to consistently beat multiple players on the dribble is a winning offensive formula - I am sure every central american team is watching this tape and licking their lips at how they will "defend" dest - but I have been wrong before. I look forward to watching it play out.

Though just to mention I agree Dest >>>>>>>>>>>> Yedlin. I wasn't really in the Yedlin talk, I just think Dest can do a little bit differently on offense to help out more.

juveeer repped this.
  24. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I agree it’s a ridiculous “tactic”. I’m just not going to blame the player.

25. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This - 100% spot on. That Canada goal was completely on Brooks and his inability to mark Cyle Larin, IMO. I don't blame DeAndre Yedlin for losing a foot race on the wing against Alphonso Davies -- yeah his initial positioning was a bit off, but Davies beats most RBs in the world for pace. If Brooks marks his man in the box, we win this game 1-0.

I miss the old days of consistency from our CBs. Carlos Bocanegra never had a bad game in USMNT shirt. Neither did Eddie Pope. John Brooks is one of the more talented CBs we've ever had, and he's played lights out for us before (namely in the 2016 Copa America Centenario), but he's also had some absolute shockers, mostly in WCQ matches.

Marko72 and tomásbernal repped this.