Post-match: US/Canada Analysis

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by DMTerp02, Mar 24, 2012.

1. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once you've calmed down from the game thread, come post here.

Clearly Canada went and Bob Bradleyed us. Fresh players, compact and quick on the counter. We already knew our back line was bad, but the way our 3-man midfield was bossed was the key to this game. Mix, Corona and Jeffrey were swamped all game and had no idea what to do with pressure on them. Only attacking came through Shea and Adu on the wings and Freddy's excellent dead ball service. Total dominance by an inferior team.

And we better prepare for another slog on Monday because El Salvador can advance with a tie, so if you think Canada parked the bus just wait for them. With a dash of Central American flailing and diving for good measure. We should still beat them. We're better than they are, and they've played 3 games in 5 days too. No excuses.

2. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Nobody has replied. Clearly a testament to our situation.

We suck. That was fugly.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the result of having one truly God-awful team in the group- it becomes a two-game tournament and you can't afford to be flat. We were flat today and got beat, no other way about it.

We control our destiny, though- win and advance (to play Mexico in a winner-take-all game). Good teams step up when it counts, so it's time to see if the USA can step it up. El Salvador was always going to be a hard match, but it's what we have to do. We have the talent- Caleb just has to put all the pieces together the right way (and account for tired legs).

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PS - now everyone knows how Spain felt after the Confederations Cup. Shit happens.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Usually to us ...

6. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we came out looking pretty good in the first 25 minutes or so. In general, we lack a cutting edge offensively. I can hardly remember a single incisive pass or crafty piece of dribbling in Canada's final third. That's a problem for US soccer in general. I hope there some more young Clint Dempseys hiding out there in the wilderness, because we desperately need attackers with real technical ability, creativity, and aggression.

I thought Mix and Corona showed some flashes early. Mix really seemed to fade as the game went on though. Maybe it was just fatigue?

I thought Gyau provided a little bit of a spark. He's clearly got a lot of speed, and he showed a desire to run at his man and take people on. I'd like to see what he could do with more opportunities.

Not much positive beyond that. Brek Shea is hugely overrated. He did manage one or two decent balls into the box, but he's just not very good at dribbling. I don't think he cut in to his right foot once. Every time he was on the wing, he would inevitaly try to get onto his left. Disappointing effort from him overall. His act is wearing thin for me. Just because you have a haircut like Neymar doesn't mean you can play like him.

Bunbury was just invisible, as usual. Maybe his teammates are complicit, but geeze...he doesn't seem very good. Hard to believe he's a real prospect for the future. In fact, I don't believe it. Jozy is miles better and even players like Sapong and Agudelo have surpassed him. Wonder if this is the last we'll see of him in a USA shirt for some time.

7. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    Who is brek shea? no offence but this board made him seem like he was a great player, i was disappointed

8. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    This x100000. Thank you.

9. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    we dominated the possession game early but produced not goals, heck, not even any good chances. Second half, they took the game to us a lot more

I think we seem to depend on lobbing the ball into the goal area and hope for the best too much. It's nice to control the ball but when its not leading to chances, then there's no point. Now our back is against the wall and we better look a lot sharper next time out

10. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Possession without purpose is worthless. Kick it around the back, get it into the final third, feel a little pressure, and lob it back to your fullbacks. Good grief...GO FORWARD.

11. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think because of their profiles both Shea and Adu get unfairly treated around here and tonight is no exception. Both were easily the most effective players on the pitch, but both have issues as well.

Adu can get lost in the game when the attack isn't being played through him. In the first half everything went away from him to Shea on the left, and he needs to see the ball in the final third more often. His service tonight was excellent as usual, and I still can't believe he didn't score on that rocket late in the second half.

Shea had a lot of the ball and was dangerous, his problem is he's too much of a one-trick pony. Only uses the left foot, and needed to get that volley on goal in the second half. On the left wing he too often chooses to push the ball further outside and use his speed to get there and get off a cross. But he's not that good a crosser in the first place, and worse when having little space to get it on his left. If he cut inside from time to time he'd be much more dangerous. (BTW, Gyau is the same with his right foot, which people will notice more when he plays more often. Needs to find another move or he'll get figured out too)

12. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And really, if you want someone to blame for this disaster, it's not Freddy or Brek. It's the midfield of Mix, Corona and Jeffrey. They were beyond terrible after about the first 20 minutes. Completely overrun.

13. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe you guys think we didn't have any good chances, Canada's goalie came up huge many times tonight, couldn't believe the ball didn't go in at least once.

The problem wasn't offense we created 5 legit scoring chances, which is good in Soccer, our defense let in the softest goals of the tourney.

The first goal is an easy catch for the keeper but not if he backs up like a naive fool, second goal was a push off foul, which the ref decided he was going to look the other way.

Shit happens and now we have to fight for our lives, at least we are still in it.

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad effort, bad preparation, and bad bad coaching.

A total stinkeroo all around.

15. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was due to fatigue unfortunately, Canada had 7 fresh players so I guess we were outsmarted too.

16. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still say the corona sub was what killed us in the end. I understand that he wasn't good in the 1st half and maybe he was tired, but he's been the focal point of the attack and without him the teams just decided to boot the ball to brek and hope he does something.
    Mix was having a decent game but maybe fatigue took the best of him as, well as Jeffrey's bad play(making him track back more often than not and then have to run all the way back).

I want to see Gyau-Boyd-Adu as the forwards next game and Corona, mix and amobi as the midfield.

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure seemed like a lot of fatigue. I thought Porter was all about his deep roster...
    Too bad he didn't make many changes for tonight. Also credit Canada with good play and a good game plan both.
    I guess we might need to start scouting Mexico's games cause even if we win on Monday, we come second in the group most likely. Unless Canada somehow loses to Cuba.

18. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Absolutely. Today's game clearly illuminated this.

19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the midfield, but Brek needs to be better about using more than his left foot and doing the same exactly thing every damn time.

Freddy needed to be quicker this game. Too much sitting on the ball. The game slowed to a snail's pace at times, allowing the Canadian bus to get back and pull their emergency brake.

We need to be faster, and we will need to be faster against the El Salvadorian bus.

20. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we tie we are out unless you think Canada is going to tie with Cuba . . . we have to beat El Salvador to remain alive. Losing this game really put us in a bind.

21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on Corona. Should have stayed and helped steady the midfield ship.

22. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure El Salvador will park the bus? They must be pretty encouraged seeing how a bunch of Hockey Players beat us.

23. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Were we playing with a lone forward (Bunbury) on top?, cause that is what it looked like.

The team looks tired already & now they have to play for their lives against the Salvatruchi. Terrible decisions by College Coach.

24. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They only need a point. It will be 90 minutes of sitting behind the ball and diving, injuries and theatrics.

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we win against El Salvador and Canada doesn't score by more than 4 goals against Cuba, then we will top the group.

Edit: Err I'm wrong