US-based Wolves supporters

Discussion in 'Wolverhampton Wanderers' started by VirginiaWolf, Apr 22, 2009.

1. VirginiaWolf

VirginiaWolf New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm interested to know how and why the US-based supporters of the mighty Wolves first came to love the old gold and black...

Possible examples I can think of:

1) You are an ex-pat like me
    2) You pulled the name of the team out of a hat (this is how the Bravery came to support the Wolves)
    3) You liked the colours or club logo
    4) You heard of us thanks to fellow American Jemal Johnson who played for Wolves a couple of seasons back
    5) You remember when Wolves were the Los Angeles Wolves (i.e. you're ancient)
    6) You are a Robert Plant fan and thus a Wolves fan
    7) You like the name Wolves - sounds kind of like what an American might name a team
    8) You heard about our promotion to the Premier League last weekend
    9) You found out about Wolves last time they were promoted and have supported them since
    10) You remember Wolves when they ruled the world in the 50s (i.e. you are really, really ancient)

2. foleyts

foleyts New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    NY from WA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started following them when Jemal Johnson was playing just because he is an American. It is hard to follow a championship team here but I for some reason I will always cheer for the underdog and going into the premiership next season will be a test. I could never cheer for one of the big four. Go Wolves!

3. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had heard of them from researching the game. Then I liked the colors and the name and the badge.

But the sealer was a couple years ago I searched for soccer jersey's on EBAY and wolves was by far the coolest one. So I have a #9 Cort with the Chaucer symbol on the front (with the horse).

I'm so glad their moving up next year so I can actually watch them!

4. m_revitt

m_revitt New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My 3 reasons for supporting wolves.

1. Ex pat as well and from the great city of Wolverhampton

2. My Dad supports them.

3. Masochistic tendency.

5. flsoccer

flsoccer Member

Jul 8, 2007
    was playing one of the fifa games with a buddy and thought the logo was awesome. plus i like the fact that they are a good team but not one of the elite. i tend not to associate myself with the most popular teams for whatever reason.

6. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wanted to follow a Championship league squad prior to last season to see what it takes for a team to survive below the PL and to go thru the ups and downs to make it up to the PL.

The Wolves were fascinating to me. I have a friend from Tipton that started to inform me about the Wolves. I didn't realize in my first full season as a supporter that they would get promoted. :p

Wondering if other US supporters know of this site:
    http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/index.php

It is cool to see fellow supporters from the US.:cool:

7. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
  8. adambchildress

adambchildress New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My name is Adam Childress and if it wasnt for my boss David Hipwood who hales from Wolverhampton, I would still be an obnoxious, football(soccer) bashing American.

In an effort to kiss a little ass at work I decided to watch some of the 2008 Euro Cup to be able to "talk shop', well 2 games in and I was hooked. I listened to the Wolves games via the internet and purchased Sentanta and Fox Soccer channel, got rid of my Detroit Lions season tickets and my 21 Tiger game package, and spent this last season watching 90 percent of the Premier League games, the once a week Championship League game(only when the wolves played), as well as World Cup Qualifiers and such, I love football and cant wait to follow the wolves on tv every week.

9. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

better late than never!:cool:

10. VirginiaWolf

VirginiaWolf New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow, I'm impressed!!

11. saucysalesman

saucysalesman New Member

May 27, 2009
    State College,PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually just watch the MLS but when it comes to english clubs I always go for the underdog so this upcoming year I'm rooting for the wolves. Oh and since I'm rooting for them, who's their best player?

12. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I personally dig #9 Ebanks-Blake

go to http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/index.php and find out all you want to know and more!!:cool:

13. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Kevin Foley was voted by the fans as Player of the Season, but he's a steady fullback and not the sort of player to get the heart racing. Ebanks-Blake was our top scorer last season (and the one before that) as well as the top scorer in the Championship, so he tends to grab the headlines (he's a former Man Utd trainee and is still quite young). Michael Kightly is quite a good winger, signed from non-league football, while Richard Stearman (a central defender) is currently with the England U21 squad.

We've just signed Nenad Milijas from Red Star Belgrade - a midfielder who was their top scorer in the season just gone. Technically we're still waiting on a work permit for the guy, so he's not a Wolves player just yet.

Someone closer to home for you guys - Marcus Hahnemann has just signed from Reading.

14. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

oh cool, I had missed the signing of Marcus.

15. adambchildress

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where is everyone located? I am in Detroit

16. saucysalesman

saucysalesman New Member

May 27, 2009
    State College,PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I just I just heard about Hahnemann signing on. It said that he was gonna partially coach the goalies, but it also said that he was gonna compete for the #1 spot, so Im not sure whats going on with him. Oh and by the way I live in State College, PA.

17. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    Wolves current No 1 is Wayne Hennessey who, despite being only 22 is pretty much confirmed at Wales' first choice goalkeeper. Whilst on loan at Stockport County in 2007 he went 857 minutes without conceding a goal, while the following year, when playing for Wolves, was named as the goalkeeper in the Championship Team of the Year.

Although Hennessey is considered a great prospect, he is liable to the odd drop in confidence level, and doesn't dominate the penalty area like some keepers, hence Hahnemann has been brought in for competition. I imagine Hennessey will start off as first choice, but I expect to see Hahnemann push him hard and will feature to some degree next season.

Also, since Hennessey is only 22 (a very young age for a keeper), I've no doubt that he could learn a lot from Hahnemann (as could another of our young keepers, Carl Ikeme - another who could potentially be fighting for the No 1 shirt). I think it has been mentioned publically by our CEO Jez Moxey that this was part of the reason why he's been signed.

We also have the forgotten man, Matt Murray, who was once one of the brightest goalkeeping prospects in England, but has suffered badly from injuries (just 87 appearances since his debut in 2002). He was a key player in both of the full seasons that he played (one of which was the promotion season of 2002/03). Murray won't be fit for the start of the season, and may well go out on loan to get some games under his belt, but I wouldn't rule out him featuring at some point.

So potentially Hahnemann is fighting it out with three other keepers. :eek: :cool:

18. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is going to sound quite stupid, but I'm gonna be somewhat rooting for Wolverhampton to do decent this coming season.

I wanted to play with a mediocre team on FIFA09 Manager Mode to have more of a challenge, and I landed randomly on the Wolves. I ended up doing really well with the and got them to win the premier league! Seems like a dumb reason to support them, but hey, I'm sure they could use some extra support.

19. adambchildress

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am from Detroit and I have Sentanta and Fox Soccer Channel, if anyone is a football nut like me and watches alot of the games each weekend, as wants to do a weekly podcast, let me know. I am working on the details of how to do the podcast with people living elshere in the world but I know it can be done. Any interest in being a cohost? Le tme know.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Seems I'm the only one willing to admit I'm ancient. I attended a couple of games, in the L.A. Coliseum, if my memory serves me right; it was 40+ years ago. The only player I remember is a winger, by the name of David Wagstaff.

21. 2soX

2soX New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    St. Pete, FL
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I`ve been watching the EPL on FSC for a few years now. I never developed true fanship for any one team over that time. I waffled in liking West Ham, Aston Villa, Liverpool and Arsenal over a few years....but no team stuck. As a kid I watched the league on PBS, and I still like Leeds....but they have big money issues. So....
    Last season I looked at both the EPL and Championship and decided I would follow the Wolves. Even though I may not see them much on TV.
    I like the name, I like that they had a good history, they seemed to be a team on the upswing looking at 2007. So the Wolves it was.
    Now it`s so cool to see them play in the top flight. I wonder if Robert Plant will still be at the matches? :D

oh..and become a supporter here
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/clubs/europe-uefa/england/championship/wolverhampton-wanderers/

22. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    It makes me smile when I hear someone say you can not be a true fan of a club unless you were born in the area and have the club's colors running through your veins. These are the same people who have been LA Laker/Kobie Bryant or Chicago Bulls/Michael Jordan fans, but live near London or Liverpool. :D

I've followed (not truly rooted for) quite a few EPL and Championship teams, but something mystical drew me to Wolves. Yes they have a great logo, a terrific kit, and a cool name which frequently has drawn Americans to them. But their recent story is unique. Steve Morgan buying the club for £10; the philosophy of finding good players at lower levels or at other clubs that just haven't quite fulfilled their potential, and actually giving them the opportunity to succeed. The fact that they have a 10 year plan - not some 2 year spending spree. The reputation Mick has of a willingness to be a teacher helping players improve rather than expecting players to know every little thing about the game when they arrive, and if they don't, ship them out. Considering all that, how could I not become a fan of Wolves.

The answer is ... I had to become a fan. Hopefully the injuries don't become a factor and we'll see where that leads us. And now, on to the season.

23. adambchildress

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the post above about beeing from an area....if your born in 4 hours outside of Detroit and you watch sports via the television you can be just as passionate about a team on the other side of the us as the one thats 400 miles down your interstate. Plus if your really interested in a club with the internet now a days you could really learn about the area and history of the club you follow. My boss being from Wolverhampton helps...I feel like an honorary Wulfrunian, I have even made friends with friends from Wolverhampton on facebook. So yeah I didnt grow up there but I love this team more than I love the Detroit Tigers, the Detroit Red Wings, the Detroit Lions, and would trade all of um just to watch the Wolves.

24. floodmantx

floodmantx New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been wanting to really follow the English Premier League for years and I decided to really take the plunge in time for the upcoming season. I did a bit of research on all of the teams and the Wolves just felt right. I do like the colors and the logo quite a bit as well. Looking forward to August!

25. Andy0

Andy0 New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Latvia
    I was sent a Wolves kit as a birthday present from an aunt who lives in the Wolverhampton area back in the early 1970's, along with a book about the Football League. Got to watch some matches on the old "Star Soccer" program (just loved those muddy pitches), have been hooked ever since.