Rumor: USMNT Returns to Pan American Games (Oct 20 - Nov 5, 2023 in Santiago, Chile)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by xbhaskarx, Jul 3, 2022.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is being reported by any legit journalists...

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not confirmed yet, so I started a rumor thread. Would be another great opportunity to prepare for the Olympics. Thanks to @xbhaskarx for the post.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It’s a shame that in years past we’ve qualified but declined to participate (in men’s soccer).

When the time comes, let’s figure out who we can send … and send them.

4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

Big news, if true. Great opportunity.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A reminder........................October is one period of the calendar in which both Europe and MLS are active. Getting releases for the Pan-Am games with the "A" Olympic group will be very difficult. We could take players on MLS teams already eliminated from the playoffs.

But heck, send the best team possible. Why not? Play all the events we can with the players we can get.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly this.

I think if US Soccer has that overall philosophy, some guys are always going to emerge. Like say Matt Turner and Miles Robinson at the B team Gold Cup.

Edit: from another thread

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Hopefully that’s during FIFA dates because that could certainly be a weird roster. Obviously no club has to release players for a youth tournament and that’s right during the end of the MLS regular season.

But I believe the FIFA dates are usually mid-October and mid-November.

8. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    In the past we didn‘t have the depth. Remember our Copa America B team? Embarrassing. We just didn‘t have the players, and playing wasn‘ gonna help them. Simply not good enough and never were gonna be.

We can do it now and should!

BostonRed and TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That what I thought as well. Actually it did help them. I'd take that team over 2015 - 2017 disaster. Unbalanced, but plenty of talent.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Copa_América_squads#United_States

10. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Not sure. When you look at a list like this in hindsight folks often tend to look at those players when they were at the apex of their careers.
    They were all in very different places. It did help them in their careers but we were chastised by CONEMBAL and the SA press, who were starting to respect us, for sending such an unpolished team. I remember them being OK competitively just really green and unable to make any real impression. We treated it as a second rate tourney and it wasn‘t forgotten down there.

I also look at that list and for us there does look to be some decent talent on that list. What choice did we have, and what would many of these guys be considered today? I‘m not sure the present would be so kind. Not sure how talented many really were. They just happened to be our talent.

Edit:
    Just took a glance at it again and thought about each player, their career and impact they made for club and country. I‘m less impressed when I take the good ole days nostalgia out of it.

BostonRed repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of those guys made a World Cup roster. Even some of the ones that didn't, eg Kljestan and Nguyen, finished top three in MLS MVP voting and probably should have been better utilized by the national team in the Klinsmann era.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA dates are Oct. 9-17 and Nov. 13-21.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That 2007 Copa America squad kinda proves the point.

If you can identify one player that you can take with the program moving forward, then it was worth it. We certainly did at that Copa America.

So if we take a "fringe" U23 group to the PanAmerican games, and find one player to take forward with the program..........then it was worth it. They don't even have to make the eventual Olympic roster. Just a guy that becomes part of the overall program.

By October of next year there will be all new players to pick from. Heck, pick from the NEXT U20 cycle if you need to. Take a Cruz Medina or somebody. Just keep providing opportunities to guys.

Tom Collingsworth and xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I take it this is another tournament where clubs are not obligated to release players, like Concacaf U20s and U20 World Cups?

15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Every youth tournament, so yes, since I believe this is U22 (contested a year before the U23 Olympics).

Master O and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. This one is easy to remember. :)
    No club is ever required to release any player for any youth event.

The clubs don't even need to provide a good reason.
    Why was Justin Che not released for this U20 tournament?
    What was he doing at Hoffenheim that was so important?
    Couldn't tell you as their preseason just started. But it doesn't matter. They're entirely within their rights to not release a player. So was Seattle if they didn't want to release Obed Vargas for the group stage.

Typically, we get the players from MLS we want.
    However, even that has changed recently.
    For a "less prestigious" tournament like the PanAm games, I imagine its not going to be easy. Players themselves probably don't have the same burning desire to go to the PanAm games as they do the Olympics, etc.

We should be happy if these players are deemed too important by their clubs to release. I'm fine with it. Heck, I was fine with Atlanta not releasing Miles Robinson an Brooks Lennon to Olympic qualifying in 2021. I know others weren't happy about it. They were preparing for the CCL, and deemed those two players too important to release. That's fine. That's a good thing.

if most of our top 50 players aren't available for the PanAm games, so be it. We take the next batch to test them. Maybe go younger. Maybe go for guys in reserve teams in Europe. Maybe go for a couple of the best players in the NCAAs. Whatever. Give guys an opportunity to make an impression.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think we'd be looking at at players from non-playoff MLS teams and maybe some U20 types from Europe who aren't getting first-team minutes yet.

18. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the actual Soccer format for the Pan-American games?

19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBD. Nothing on the official website as of yet regarding format, regulations, etc.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who knows?

But in 2015 and 2019 it was a tournament of 8 teams. Two groups of four. Top two went to the knockout rounds.

Tom Collingsworth, Master O and Winoman repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Realistically, look at the dates -- that's time for, what, 4-6 games, unless they put soccer on a different schedule for whatever reason? Seems like you're talking a short round-robin stage leading straight to placement matches, but that's just a guess of course. You could also do straight knockout but that seems unlikely.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

2023 U.S. MEN’S PAN AMERICAN TEAM ROSTER (CLUB; HOMETOWN)
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Antonio Carrera (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Chituru Odunze (Charlotte FC; London, England)

DEFENDERS (6): Reed Baker-Whiting (Seattle Sounders FC; Seattle, Wash.), Nico Carrera (Holstein Kiel/GER; Frisco, Texas), Mauricio Cuevas (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Alexander Freeman (Orlando City SC; Plantation, Fla.), Nolan Norris (FC Dallas; Celina, Texas), Thomas Williams (Orlando City SC; Titusville, Fla.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Javier Casas Jr. (Chicago Fire FC; Addison, Ill.) Daniel Leyva (Colorado Rapids; Las Vegas, Nev.), Sergio Oregel Jr. (Chicago Fire FC; Chicago, Ill.), Jack Panayotou (New England Revolution; Cambridge, Mass.), Brooklyn Raines (Houston Dynamo FC; Maricopa, Ariz.)

FORWARDS (5): Vaughn Covil (Hull City/ENG; San Diego, Calif.), Jackson Hopkins (D.C. United; Fredericksburg Va.), Tega Ikoba (Portland Timbers; Bettendorf, Iowa), Theodore Ku-DiPietro (D.C. United; Oakton, Va.), Rodrigo Neri (Atletico Madrid/ESP; Madrid, Spain)

ALTERNATES: D Noah Cobb (Atlanta United FC; Chattanooga, Tenn.), M Miguel Perez (St. Louis City SC; St. Louis, Mo.), D Michael Wentzel (St. Louis City SC; Baden-Württemberg, Germany)

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's like a U23 Camp Cupcake roster.

TimB4Last repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say, I was expecting a slightly more impressive roster than this. It's basically Reed Baker-Whiting and a bunch of guys most don't expect to be NT level. But then that's why they play the games. Maybe a few of them will earn their way back onto the prospect hype radar...

But what happened to Alejandro Alvarado? He was rumored to be there just a day ago

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Should we rebrand/retitle this thread as the tournament thread or start one?

Separately and perhaps encouragingly -- there's apparently a Panam Channel where the Games will be streamed. I guess I can't say for certain that everything will be there but looks promising. Perhaps that means match threads here. Get your narratives ready just in case!

https://www.santiago2023.org/en/not...l-for-the-pan-american-games-around-the-world