US-A&B, the attack (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Oct 12, 2012.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, if they measured it and said it was the minimum, then it must be.

JK: This pitch looks small. We request that you measure to assure it meets the FIFA minimum.
    A&B: Certainly, we will measure right now.
    20 minutes later:
    A&B: We measured and it is fine. Don't worry, be happy!
    JK: What were the measurements?
    A&B What is the mininum?
    JK: 110x70
    A&B Yes, that was it.
    JK: Are you sure?
    A&B: Don't worry, be happy!

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You are correct I was throwing out illegal without any formal information which I have no idea how to get. I've watched so much soccer something just didn't feel right about the width. There was just no space. So I appreciate it for calling me out. Let's do some deductive reasoning.
    In watching all the highlights and comparing it to known expected dimensions let's do some Sherlock Holmes investigation.
    We know the minimum width FIFA wants is 70 yards:
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/lotg_en_55753.pdf
    Here are the width dimensions for yards from goal out:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4200666.stm
    I have the video highlights up to compare and estimate the dimenstions on the field.
    I am having computer problems so will come back to edit post.

3. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but...

There are two steps in judging a performance. One is based on the effect the performance had on the result at hand. The other is judging whether that performance can be predictive of future success. EJ obviously deserves a ton of credit for the role he played in this win. Despite a generally poor game, his two goals were decisive. But, next we have to assess whether this performance suggests future success and furthermore, future success against elevated levels of competition. In this assessment we have to consider that EJ was generally ineffective outside of his 3 free headers in the six-yard box. We have to ask what happens against better competition when he is unlikely to see any free headers?

Craig P repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm pretty sure it's because I don't have to.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phil Schoen said that the US had been out there with tape measures prior to the game, so either the field was the minimum or it wasn't and they haven't said anything yet. If it wasn't, they might never say anything, since we won.

6. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I was too late to edit. In the US soccer highlights on Zusi's late game corner you can see that the 10 yard mark is about 2 yards from the 18. http://www.ussoccer.com/
    If we start from center of goal 8yrd goal width/2 =4 + the 6 yard box plus the 18 yard box from goal - the 6 already calculated = 12. Then compare that 12 to the distance from the 18 yardline to the sideline and its looks the same which is 12. So adding up from center of goal out = 8/2=4+6+12+12=34 x 2 =68 which is 2 yards too small. IMHO its illegal.
    I hope my math is right.

schrutebuck and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  7. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he had a serious injury...turf toe?.... This took forever to heal it seemed. He then appeared to lose his confidence, even though a stint in Europe seemed to help. But he does seem to have his confidence back. Not sure if this is due to his coach in Seattle or just a general maturing. I think he has fought hard to get back and has improved tremendously. Hopefully this trend will continue. Jozy could take a lesson in fighting back from him...which he will have to do to get his starting position back.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I started a thread on the subject here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/an-illegal-field-used-in-antigua-barbuda.1976423/

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If someone can screen capture a jpg of the pitch from as close to overhead vertical as possible, and send it to me, I have a little program which can calculate the overall dimensions from the known ones.

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a picture on Scotty's thread. To the naked eye it looks to be less than 70.

11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to stand up for EJ. He's been in the wilderness for years. But now he's playing well in MLS and earned this chance. Which he took full advantage of. He did some good things besides the goals. Split two defenders on the dribble and created a dangerous situation in the box. Put in a good cross with his left foot. Held possession and linked with his teammates. He was not alone and unmarked in the box on his two goals.

Dempsey's prime objective last night was to get on the airplane without having a USL player do his acl on that crap pitch in a rain storm. I can understand it. He's fighting to maintain a starting spot with Tottenham while earning 6 million a year. This is what happens when we start getting players into the top echelons. It's not like back in the day when college kids would run through walls to wear the US shirt.

So, we got the 3 points, and we can delete this game.

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unfortunately those are probably not overhead enough. And considering how far the stands were from the field, we may not get one.

But I may try it anyway.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    This reminds me of what the player coach of my indoor team says about us - we have no business ever feeling like we should dominate anyone, ever. We just aren't good enough and way too inconsistent. I've seen Germany play and we are no Germany. In some ways I think that's part of JK's problem, he thinks this should be easier than it is.

14. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been waiting 20 years for the US to go on the road in Concacaf and dominate the opposition.

Still waiting.

15. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed we're no Germany. But Ireland is no Antigua & Barbuda either. I think the gap between the US and A&B is roughly comparable to that between Germany and Ireland. If anything, the gap is wider between us and A&B.

I'm not arguing that we should be winning every away game against A&B by 5 goals. Germany certainly won't win every away (or home) game against Ireland by 5. I'm just arguing that we shouldn't feel lucky to sneak out of a WCQ against A&B with a win.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    This explains how to play the high/long ball a lot better than OPTA. (don't forget to watch all five parts)

18. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    EJ was terrible, but he made up for it by being in the right place and finishing (although he had one ball in that he skied wide (or over) that should've been buried. I'm glad he made up for his lack of contribution to building up goals but I'd be worried about him starting against a more formidable team.

Zusi... great cross to score an assist but it wasn't targeted, it was a random ball in. Did it pay off, absolutely. Is it something that's good enough to move forward, absolutely not. I feel like it's the second game in a row where he was deceptively bad (what was it, 5 or 6 forward passes in the Jamaica game?). He needs to be more. I don't feel like asking more from him is uncalled for and no one should. There was a reason Dempsey was getting pissed at him.

I don't think Kljestan is getting the respect he deserves. That ball to Gordon, that strike on goal, the immediate impact. He was opening space and creating it for others.

Dempsey, aside from that beautiful quick touch pass to Bradley to set up the ball that hit off the post wasn't present. Not sure what to take from that. Under utilized, getting the ball too far away from goal.

Gomez, what the hell? No hustle, heavy stone feet? We need you to be more. That ball that snuck through that Gomez passed to the keeper is something that Jozy has been eating up. I get why Jozy wasn't called in but it would have been a good game for him. He's been killing it in the box by finding lanes and burying his chances.

Bradley, God bless his soul. We thank you.

Gordon did fine, didn't play the role he should be but that was a decent ball in. He admitted he was just serving it in. I feel like we should be above just closing our eyes and praying someone in the box finds it. And if that's our plan, then atleast bring in Adu to get some decent crosses in while Donovan is out.

Also, can we get some one other than Zusi taking corners? I'm getting tired of seeing these low crosses that the first defender punts away.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  19. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?