US '93 vs. Australia '03? [R]

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by sgnerdboy, Feb 13, 2003.

1. sgnerdboy

sgnerdboy New Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So as most of you know Australia took out England yesterday at Upton Park with a 3-1 score. The English are going on about how this is their most embarrassing defeat in fifty-three years (since we beat them at WC1950).

The thing is, I'm both flattered and perplexed that they've overlooked our victory over them in 1993. Do they really think the US team of 1993 was better than the Australia team of 2003?

United States v. England at Foxboro
    Meola
    Armstrong
    Lapper
    Doyle
    Agoos
    Clavijo
    Dooley (Lalas, 69')
    Harkes
    Ramos (Jones, 62')
    Wegerle
    Wynalda (Stewart, 61')

Australia v. England at Upton Park
    Schwarzer
    Neill
    Moore
    Popovic (Vidmar, 72')
    Lazaridis
    Emerton
    Okon (Muscat, 87')
    Skoko (Bresciano 45')
    Chipperfield (Grella 76')
    Viduka (Sterjovski 85')
    Kewell (Aloisi 56')

Kalac & Tiatto on the bench

I would take the Australians over the Americans anyday. However, maybe the US loss is not seen as being as humiliating because the England squad of 93 was not as good (at least on paper) as the one from last night:

England v. USA at Foxboro
    Woods
    Dixon
    Pallister
    Palmer (Walker, 61')
    Dorigo
    Batty
    Ince
    Clough
    Sharpe
    Ferdinand (Wright, 35')
    Barnes

Congratulations to Australia, still.

kevin
    + http://tullamarine.org

2. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    Who is saying this?

3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    The most embarrassingdefeat ever suffered by England would be the 6-3 humiliation against Hungary in 1953. On any other day England would have hammered the USA - it was just one of those results that make football the game it is. The defeat against Hungary was nothing less than humiliation - England had never lost a home game against a team from outside the British Isles, and Hungary destroyed them on the day - the scoreline flattered England and 10-3 would not have been unrepresentative of the game. The England team contained several all-time greats, including Billy Wirht, Stanley Matthews, and Stan Mortensen. To make matters worse, Hungary beat England 7-1 in Budapest 6 months later (with England fielding Wright, Roger Byrne and Tom FInney amongst others).

The defeat to USA was a shock, but nowhere near the same as the footballing lesson given twice by Puskas and co.

4. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England of '93 were ************, end of story.

England of '03 were ************ last night but on another day, who knows?

5. All I can say is that Tony Meola had maybe the greatest game a goalkeeper ever had in that one. I said maybe.

6. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Too young to know about his performance in that game but I'm thinking Keller vs. Brazil. Maybe.

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I can't believe I'm seeing Fernando Clavijo's name on BS in 2003.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This correct. Keller was much better. Meola was excellent, but Ian Wright was crap. Keller was spectacular.

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I'd say both teams were utterly crap in 1993. USA just happened to be less crap than England.

10. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    That's exactly how I remember it, too ...

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The defeat against Hungary changed soccer history. Back then, England was considered imortals in soccer. No one dreamed to beat England. It was not a lucky win..... Hungary outclassed the English. I did not think England ever recovered from the defeat. With the exception of 1966 WC, England was never considered to be the force they were before the two matchwes against Hungary.

As for Australia 2003 and USA 1993, I did not see either match. I thought the USA match was the bigger shock. Some of the Aussies are household names in England. Viduka is probably the top three English-based players on field that day.

For USA 1993, the English probably only heard of Harkes and Wegerle before the match. Harkes in 1993 was nowhere near Kewell and Viduka in 2003. Wegerle was probably bigger than the two Australians. Lapper, Meola, Jones, Lalas, Doyle, and Armstrong had no professional experiences in club soccer in 1993. Agoos's pro experiences was a few stints in Germany. Clavijo was an indoor player with limited professional experiences outdoor. Besides Harkes and Wegerle, the real professional players were Ramos(only 2nd Divison in Spain), Wynalda, Dooley and Stewart.

12. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia

I find this hard to believe. Bigger than Kewell or Viduka? Both of these players are fantastic, and Wegerle may have been good, but better than these two?

13. bocatuna

bocatuna New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    England
    Ahhh but Wegerle had the abilty to represent 154 different nations.

14. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I choose england

15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Yep. In his pre-USMNT days, Wegerle was rated as the striker with the best dribbling skill in England. Some said he was the best striker in EPL.

Unfortunately, his form lasted for one or two season when he was in QPR. By the time he played for Blackburn Rover, he was no good.... his international career also started about the same time.

Viduka is probably one of the top 8 attackers in EPL, but he is nowhere near the #1. Wegerle was at one point.... rated the #1 striker.

16. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Who rated Wegerle at #1? Was it ONE newspaper or did he get a striker of teh year award?

17. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There is no question that there is a much larger gap between England '93 - USA '93 and England '03 - Australia '03. The English just love hyperbole. When they are down they are absolutely terrible and when they are up they are fucking brilliant world beaters. Who on the US team would have made an England squad? Wegerle would have been the closest and that's a huge stretch in my opinion. From Australia? Kewell would stroll on the current England team and Viduka and Emerton would probably make the squad.

18. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excape Goat said:

The defeat against Hungary changed soccer history. Back then, England was considered imortals in soccer. No one dreamed to beat England.

true, this was a huge defeat for England and yes they were considered great and the inventors of the game and all that but...

up to that point the English had only ventured off their island once to play in a world cup (that being their ignominious loss to US in the 1950 world cup in brazil)

hey, maybe(probably?I don't know) they were constantly kicking rear in euro competitions all that time but to skip out on 3 of the first 4 world cups(and two of them were played in France and Italy) is pretty lame-o for a team that considers themsleves to be the best

anyways, here's to english losses then, now and in the future :)

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The newspaper....

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    England was not a founding members of FIFA.... I did not live through that era so I do not know exactly the opinions at the time. England considerd themselves bigger than FIFA. So they did not play in the early World Cup Finals. And yes... they did not venture outside of England for the same reason.

Part of the reason why people scared of England was because England seldom played international football. They were probably overrated.

Hungary destroyed that myth.... except for a brief moment in 1966, England never regained that respect.

21. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    believe or not the pic your have in your avatar is hung on the wall in my room.

22. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England had played outside Britain on numerous occasions prior to the 50s, but always friendlies, and they lost many of those friendly games too, but no non-British side had ever beaten England at home up until then.

There were no European competitions back then. They didn't start until the late 50s.

It might seem "lame-o" to not bother with the world cup in the early years, but how seriously does the US take the Basketball and Hockey world championships? Is the attitude there arrogance, or just indifference?

23. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damn he must of been good ':)'

24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But he was good for two to three years. He was a flop after that. In 1993, he happens to be good.... his best years were 1991 or 1992. Basically, no striker in English football at that point had his dribbing skills.

25. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard L said:

"but how seriously does the US take the Basketball and Hockey world championships? Is the attitude there arrogance, or just indifference?"

IMHO, for a long time indifference (esp. basketball), but now, with the recent BIG-TIME embaressment at the recent b-ball world championships (in Indiananopolis--home court advantage even) i'd say that, for basketball's sake at least, attention is being taken,

still.. nothing pisses me off more than the constant referall to virtually all American sports championships as "World Championships"-- this has been going on for seemingly since the professional sporting scene came to preeminance in America-- which does indicate a large degree of arrogance

hey, i root against the usa basketball team, call me un-american, whatever-- the us sporting scene has a lot of things going on that i don't like

did i get off topic? :)