Uruguayan Could Replace Mathis

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Super Metro, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Super Metro

Super Metro New Member

Aug 2, 1999
    New York City
  2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I speak/read almost no Spanish, so I oviously struggled greatly with the article. The one thing I think I was able to glean, however, is that the guy is 31 years old.

Initial reaction? No thanks.

3. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just doing a google search on him I found out that he led the costa rican league in goals last year (02/03) with 39 goals in 44 games for Cartaginés. Cartaginés finished 3rd in the league behind Alajuelense and Saprissa.

Could be a good pick-up for the league.

A little old though.

4. Super Metro

Super Metro New Member

Aug 2, 1999
    New York City
    From what I heard, I rather have this old guy any day than our juskOLDiak man.

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    It's Diego Forlans cousin! =)

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if it helps any, he just turned 31 a few days ago (Birthdate: 11/4/72)

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Uruguayan and a former star in the Costa Rican league also describes Cancela.

I'm thinking maybe Cancela told the Revs to go after this guy.

All we know for sure it that the interest is coming from a team currently in the Eastern playoffs.

DC would seem to be most in need of help of the teams remaining.

8. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    "Cuando concluya la temporada en Estados Unidos, el equipo interesado vendrá a Costa Rica para observar directamente a Ciccia", agregó Soley. Soley indicó que realiza gestiones para que, junto con Ciccia, el club estadounidense contrate los servicios del también delantero Allan Oviedo."

"When the United States' season ends, the interested team will go to Costa Rica to directly observe Cicca. ... along with Cicca, the United States club will also contract the services of forward Allan Oviedo."

Apparently, these guys formed a very successful strike partnership in Costa Rica.

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Oviedo's 33 years old.

Maybe it's ageist of me, but I don't want a guy who's on his last legs. There's got to be someone out there on the right side of 30 we can bring in.

10. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Agreed. I would rather go with a young American even if we suffer through growing pains.

11. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it is not the creative midfielder/forward Roy Myers again and we dump Jusk-Slow it has to be an improvement though I do like the thought of going with fast,young, hungry Americans rather than the Jusk-Slow rout.

12. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    I dont see the Revs going after this guy. They have Twellman, Brown, Noonan, Moore and Fabro.

13. comrade

comrade New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Must we always read a response like this every time MLS looks at a 30-something foreigner? Tell me who this "young American" is.

You want the young American
    Young American, young American, you want the young American
    Alllllllllllll right
    You want the young American................................................................................

14. my mother could replace mathis !!!

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    How many teams that are in the playoffs would want to use 2 SI slots on new forwards? If you weren't planning to bring Mathis back, it could possibly be you guys, not that I'm an expert on you roster situation. The other choices that I could see would be KC or LA if Ruiz was leaving. The Revs have Twellman and Noonan, with Chris Brown, Joe-Max, and (unlikely) Fabbro. Not our weakest position.

16. LET ME CORRECT MYSELF... NO DISRESPECT TO CARTAGINES... I MEANT THAT MY MOM IS A BETTER SOCCER PLAYER THAN CLINT !!!

17. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    It does not matter. The fact that you had to ask worries me.

18. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    lets get reyna for mathis and send mathis to manchester city

19. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok Gilligan

20. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Two words come to mind regarding this topic: Um, no.

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young and hungry yes - he doesn't necessarily have to be American, though. Provincial as I am I'd love to see someone from Concacaf - is there another Ruiz or Stern John out there? Not that there necessarily is, but that would be my first choice (assuming Knox Cameron isn't available and MLSHQ isn't going to shanghai the Crew into sending us Buddle for a bag of old subway tokens).

But even if we have to look outside the region I'd be happier with an early-mid 20s guy who might have some of his best years ahead of him as opposed to signing an older player for just a year or two.

Hopefully Guevara has a 20 year old cousin who wears #9 or something. I'd even look up north - the Canadian U-20s are loaded with talent. In the end, though, it's important to me as a fan that when people think about the MetroStars, they recognize us as a young, hungry team as opposed to a bunch of retreads trying for one last run to glory.

22. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    What is this ???

The only old thing that MLS need from URUGUAY is few experience soccer coaches, about some decrepit south american leagues left over put them on a brown bag for the dogs .....

23. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Exactly waht we should be looking for. We've already had enough of an experience with Lothar, Valencia, Hurtado, etc. We need someone young, trying to establish themselves.

24. comrade

comrade New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    The fact is you have absolutely no idea who the league should pursue, and yet you still try to make smart ass comments. That worries me. If you wanna form an opinion, base it on something like, maybe, um, some facts.