Alert: Uruguay Vs. Argentina pre/pbp/post match thread[R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by NYC_COSMOS, Oct 10, 2009.

1. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Give me the money that he makes to be a public figure and a leader as well as a media image for the country and we shall talk, here on Big Soccer things are a bit different , no? Come on Cosmos, logic and reasoning okay???!:rolleyes:

2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm glad that you acknowledge that you too are amongst the legion of us BigSoccer posters that are know it all's, internet forums were invented for people like us.

Messi's criticisms this campaign are based solely off this campaigns poor apathetic performances. At the end of the day that's what effects and win, loss or draw not patriotism or loyalty.......he's incapable of functioning properly unless things are perfect. Sorry but international football is anything but perfect and requires a hell of a lot more focus than club play.

As far as my comment about his GHD, I'm pretty sure my comment was more to the effect that not a single one of us really know what, if any effects aside from small stature was an issue from his GHD. We know he had it but nothing has ever been said about whether he suffered from it. Believe me that there is a huge difference b/w having an affliction and suffering from it. I feel comfortable stating that as fact since I have Systemic Lupus but don't suffer from it.:rolleyes:

I will not argue that the NT's player selection hasn't been dodgy or that Diego is in so far over his head but come on, at what point do you finally acknowledge that Messi has just played piss poor?

Aside from the NT, I've more than defended Messi even if it's been with guarded optimism. I've seen many young players in my life dubbed the next this guy or the next that guy only to bottle all expectation. Messi has more than proven himself at the youth level and without question at the club level. The national team level on the other hand has been a nightmare for him. The player selection argument only carries so much water when you can look at other lesser players that have even less quality playing with them still manage to get in better than average performances for their country.

In regards to your question about DiMaria, why would anyone ask that of him? Nobody touted him as the best player for that role except Diego, quite a few BigSoccer posters and a couple of journalists. Messi on the other hand wanted it and the adage "be careful what you wish for" is applying to him.

Probably because Argentinos remember how he reacted when he got snubbed by that moron Bielsa in 2002. Roman made it abundantly clear what playing for his country meant to him. Much like Michu's reaction to his snub in 2006 but more played out in the Argentine press.

Roman never put himself in a position to have those questions asked would be my guess.

Oh please stop. Nobody accused Messi faking his GHD, they questioned if and how it truly effected him. Like I said, it's one thing to have it and other to suffer from it.

As much as Roman has publicly voiced his love and affection for Boca he still made it abundantly clear how much of an honor playing for the shirt was.

As Vip will state below, the overwhelming majority of the criticism from the media in Argentina is exclusively about his performance, don't allow a small cross-segment of posters on a forum be the voice for an entire country. Go to some of the Spanish forums and you'll pretty much find that it's all about his lack of production.

Let me ask you, why criticize Roman for tactics when it was coming from the coach? Why a double standard? Roman played in a manner that both Pekerman and Basile were okay with?

Funny how not one player took exception of his leaving the first time. From what I recall some came out in support of him and hoped that once things were good again he'd reconsider? How about the second time? The press in Argentina and a good many fans supported his decision as well. The players get it mum obviously since they were all vying for spots in the squad.

Well said and so true.