Ursuline 100 (more or less) With DOBs

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Soccernethost, Aug 1, 2002.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    OK. Looking at the first list and projecting forward to 2010, I arbitrarily crossed off all players who will over 30 in June of '10 (GK's older than 35) just to see the number of players who look to be Nats quality over most of their careers and would still be eligible. I also eliminate the obvious, the Devin Barclay's. For the most part, these guys will be the core of the '10 team, with just a few players older then them having a real shot in 10(Bocanegra, Cherundolo for instance will be 31). Obviously this doesn't include voros' updates it just looks at who's been on the short list for a long time, the real vets on the team:

Name, Age in 2010, (DOB) in order of birth by position:

Goalkeepers:

Joe Cannon - 35 (1/75)
    Tim Howard - 31 (3/79)

Defenders:

Corey Gibbs - 30 (1/80)
    Danny Califf - 30 (3/80)
    "Gooch" Onyewu - 28 (5/82)

Midfielders:

Kyle Martino - 29 (2/81)
    DaMarcus Beasley - 28 (5/82)
    Bobby Convey - 27 (5/83)
    Justin Mapp - 25 (10/84)

Forwards:

Taylor Twellman - 30 (2/80)
    Edson Buddle - 29 (5/81)
    Conor Casey - 29 (7/81)
    Landon Donovan - 28 (3/82)
    Eddie Johnson - 26 (3/84)
    Santino Quaranta - 25 (10/84)
    Freddy Adu - 21 (6/89)

Again, I'm not trying for anything real profound here but you have to think that most of these guys will be on the 10 team. That's 16 players with three of them (Cannon, Twellman, and Buddle) long shots but possible.

(Players who have a shot (if healthy- and I'm casting a wide net here in saying who has a shot for Germany) for this team (06) and who will be older than 30 in '10 and thus likely over the hill: Keller, Berhalter, Pope, Hedjuk, Conrad, Bocanegra(31), Cherundolo (31), Armas, Reyna, Lewis, Ralston, Mastroeni, JOB, Olsen, McBride, Wolff.)

2. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I wrote Ursula when I first saw this, because I remembered doing these top 100 lists but didn't remember this one. I went into the archive and saw that one month someone had come up with a somewhat revised version of the one I'd been doing. Each month I would list these and then the debate would start.

I think ursula had the idea for it and I made a list and then named it after him - but I don't recall exactly. Maybe he does.

It seems like a LONG time ago. So much has happened since then, for me anyway. But in the original versions I had youth player included, and then saw it was better to have a separate youth list. That actually became the genesis for my then-new business.

By the way, I'm trying to figure out a way to make it free again - if any business geniuses out there have any ideas......