Uriah Rennie {R}

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by rgrayson, Aug 26, 2006.

1. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I diddnt have a problem with him today, I thought he actually did a fair job.

2. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't unfair. He missed the penalty that should have been awarded. I wonder if this thread would have started if this game ended 1-1 or 2-1.

3. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    That RVP play was not a penalty, and if it was awarded it would have been HIGHLY dubious. Its nothing like Hoyte karate kicking the legs of Sinclair.

4. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I just thought it was a funny picture because RvP was obviously pissed and he was just smiling at him.

5. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    he was inconsistent, but he was inconsistent for both sides

6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    The yellow on RVP was a little harsh, I thought. The penalty appeal could have gone either way. The penalty against Hoyte was handled well, I thought, there was no justification for not awarding one. All in all, I have very little complaint against the ref.

7. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could see RVP cussing at him. Anybody could read those lips. Besides he was a good ref compared to the Everton game. Did you hear about the red card on Kilbane?

8. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    He was fine. Crikey, this is not a game where Arsenal could shift blame in the least. Hoyte is not good enough, plain and simple. The finishing was sh*t, plain and simple.

9. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006

RVP was going off on him, its no surprise he got a yellow. He has to be smarter in those situations.

10. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just looked at the Hoyte pk again in slowmo and I'm now convinced there was enough there for a pk. However, I still think RVP had a shout for a penalty with that clear shove from the ManCity defender inside the box. Carding RVP was just Uriah being a prick as usual. I loved how Dunne and Micah went off on him and he just smiled at them instead of flashing a card. Uriah also really should have given out a card after the repreated team fouls on Cesc. I still say that if hadn't let the foul against Cesc go then Hoyte would have had a chance to get back into position on the pk play.

Uriah is still an inconsistent ref over the course of every game and really isn't good enough to be a Prem ref in my opinion. His crew also sucked today with two clearly wrong offside decisions against us. Neither of them were even close so its hard to give the linesmen the benefit of the doubt when our guys are a yard or more onside. They also made some silly errors on possession for throwins.

Overall a below average performance from the ref/crew but hardly the reason we lost today.

11. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yea Rennie was acceptable. Certainly have seen much worse. No blame can fall on him for the lost whatsoever. RVP card was justified though i loved how pissed off he got, i thought he was going to strangle Rennie.

12. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There was no penalty on RVP, and more than half of the refs out there would have given the penalty on hoyte. He was just completely out of position, and made a desperate lunge, but if he had been marking his man the way he should have, it would have never happened.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He was horrible all the way around. I will say, however, that he seemed to let Dickov (what an aptly named player) and some of the other City players "dissent" without carding them the way he did van Persie.

14. Postman is a Prophet

Aug 28, 2004
    On the Persie yellow

-if anyone noticed, a few minuted before, RvP was wide open out right but someone (hleb?) completely missed him. Earlier, he was calling for the ball, but to no avail. Sadly enough, I thought of that RvP loving spammer earlier in the week who warned about him leaving Arsenal, and it certainly seemed like Robin was frustrated. The Yellow appeared to be the culmination of the whole thing, he just boiled over.

15. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've always said Rennie is a lousy referee and today wasn't especially bad by his standards, but not that good either. To me Rennie's presence in the EPL just shows the lack of top notch referees that are available in England. But he wasn't the reason Arsenal didn't win today.

16. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    I was thinking the exact same thing when watching Micah Richards, an 18 year old kid, get in Rennie's face and bitch him out after he fouled Henry right outside the box late in the match. The consequence? Nil.

17. kireinatenchi

kireinatenchi It's getting old

Jun 5, 2005
    The glass city, Ohio
    The most upsetting to me was not only that he let Richard's get in his face and do nothing, you could clearly see Richards grabbing him over and over and Rennie pulling away with no card.

18. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We'll sum it all up with a :rolleyes: and move on.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    this is certainly true, and i was thinking the same thing as they happened (particularly with richards).

but, then, we don't know what was being said, either. every ref that i've known (in many different sports) will tell you that there are some 'magic words' that'll get you in trouble, even if your complaints are perfectly valid.

richards, for all of his reluctance to disengage, seemed to be pleading with rennie, whereas v persie appeared more, shall we say, critical. but we really can't know what specifically pushed rennie's button, can we?

20. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    It's about the language. Rennie pulled out the card really quick, so I wouldn't be surprised if RVP dropped a couple f-bombs.

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richards did appear to be pleading more than complaining. That doesn't explain Rennie's tolerance for Dickov, however, who was being rather "critical" every time a call didn't go his way.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject because I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to say by implication, or otherwise, that Rennie was the reason we lost. He wasn't. If we finish some of the gilt-edged chances Rennie's crappy reffing makes little to no difference.

22. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    My head just exploded.

23. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    my condolences for your head