URGENT: Go see Goal: The Dream Begins

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by soccrfn, May 10, 2006.

1. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Whether it is good or not, all MLS soccer fans here should go see "Goal: The Dream Begins" this weekend. Good news is that it playing at more places than I thought it would, even El Capitan in Hollywood.

We soccer fans should try to get a little buzz going before the World Cup. If we don't go see it, why would we expect other movie-goers to go.

Spread the word!

2. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Riiiiiight, because MLS plays such a vital role in the film with its new expansion franchise, "Newcastle United". :rolleyes: This movie looks like utter crap, and no soccer fan has a "duty" to go see this. Do you think NFL fans were lining up to see the remake of "The Longest Yard" because they felt a duty to their sport? No. Now please go back to drinking the FSC Kool-Aid and watching FC Fox. I think the World Cup will do just fine without this movie's help.

3. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not, its is very entertaining actually. I saw a screening of this movie with my kid last month, courtesy of Red Bull NY. I thought is was a great feel good family film about our favorite sport. My kid even said it was the best movie he's ever seen in his life (he's 8). He's seen the commercials lately on FSC and he wants to go see it again. Give it a chance and if you can, take some kids who are not into the sport. Some of them will become Newcastle fans, guaranteed.:)

Also, I think most of you know that this movie is the first of a trilogy. In the second movie Santiago is transferred to Real Madrid. In the third movie, which is being filmed now (or about to be filmed) Santiago goes to the World Cup. A few weeks back on Fox Football Friday, Alan Hopkins (who is an executive producer of the movie) said that Santigo goes to the World Cup and plays for Argentina. Argentina??? Santiago is Mexican, he "emigrates" to the USA, then goes to England and Spain to play footy. How the hell does he wind up playing for Argentina in the World Cup?:confused:

4. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Hey retard. WHY so damn NEGATIVE. NFL doesn't need any help. Soccer has for 20 years and still does. If you don't know that, you must be one of those who puts down MLS as much as you can and only talks about the latest trendy Euro winners. This has nothing to do with the World Cup, and I don't even know what FC Fox is. It has to do with beating some expectation numbers so soccer might get a positive note in the media. You might as well work for Jim Rome. Good riddance if you don't go, but don't be putting down the movie until you've seen it. Wth soccer fans like you, who needs enemies! ..ahhh why bother anymore, negative people like you are not worth it.

Oh and thanks Viper..a nice refreshing open mind..

5. Darth Norteño

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    First off, genius, way to call me a Eurosnob without actually checking my listed teams OR my sig. It doesn't take much homework besides opening your eyes to find where my allegiances lie. Strike 1. Second, I've seen this movie already; it was called Rudy the first time. Strike 2. And just because someone is a soccer fan doesn't mean they enjoy crap, or have to enjoy crap for the sake of the game, nor turn off our brains to "help" the sport. How the hell is a movie about a guy with the standard "humble beginnings" and requisite "sublime skills" who gets immediately signed to Newcastle (and apparently Real Madrid later, thanks Viper) gonna help American soccer when the presence of TWO clubs right there in Los Angeles is lost on the film's writers and producers (which is even more curious becuase Allen Hopkins works for FSC, which is based in LA and has a huge Galaxy fetish)? How does some clapped-out Geordie scout this kid before even Chivas USA can get a hold of him? Or did that little implausibility not show up through your rose-colored lenses? Strike 3...but let me continue. When the goddamn President of the United States just realized we have a team in the World Cup, do you honestly expect all the "buzz" the alleged "soccer nation" can generate to sway your average American moviegoer when both Mission:Impossible 3 and a friggin' Lindsay Lohan movie are its competitors? Speaking of which, here's a sampling of the media's "positive note" you're so desperately seeking. Thanks for playing. And you know damn well what FC Fox is; it's Fox Soccer USA without the ditzy broad, which still does more damage than this movie's inevitably low receipts will. Don't try to pass off your deranged shilling for this tripe as some moral imperative of the "soccer nation". I'm well aware soccer needs help, but this movie isn't gonna do it, and neither are you.

How ironic that you congratulate Viper for having an open mind when you appear to have none of your own. Have fun wathcing the movie; I'm sure you'll have plenty of room in the theatre to stretch out.

6. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This review from the rottentomatoes site sums up this movie:

"No points for originality, but Goal! scores three valuable stars for its warmth and wit." -- Liz Beardsworth, EMPIRE MAGAZINE [UK]

7. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Wow, you sure pick up the subleties quickly. I really don't care what your teams or your sig says (although it does worry me that I like Arsenal too). That doesn't tell me what kind of "real" US soccer fan you are.

But I think it is very funny how you use baseball terms to make your extremely well-thought-out and poignant points.

The only thing I don't get is you say I am the close-minded one, but I am open to see the movie and make up my OWN mind, but you would rather go by all the reviews of most likely non-soccer people. I was actually very entertained by Rudy. I know this movie won't be as good, but I'm gonna at least try...not to save the soccer world, but just to do my bit. Makes me feel good I guess.

It's also funny that the few reviews I have seen from viewers here (who are soccer fans) say the movie is decent. It is the professional movie critics who have been 50-50. And I never go by what they say. In that case I like to make up my own mind. For instance, I saw "Game of their Lives" (yes.. with 7 others in the theaters) and it was a very lame movie. But it didn't kill me to see it.

Question for you: What are the last 5-10 movies you have actually paid to go see?

8. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Ok, I started this thread and I just saw the movie. Here's the scoop.

1) I never ever ever said this was crucial to development of soccer. That may be what others have tried to say that I wrote, but I'm not that dumb. Maybe try to read before writing.

2) I was basically saying if the movie gets better than expected ticiket numbers, it may get a little more notice with regular media, more people might see it and who knows what might happen. If just 10 non-soccer people liked the movie and might give soccer a chance, than that is succesful to me.

Now about the movie...

1) If you are so critical, that the illegal story and a couple Latino stereotypes will kill the entire movie for you, then you won't like it.

2) If you are so critical, that the unbelievable part of a kid in a LA league getting a chance at Newcastle United is so stupid, then you won't like it.

3) If you are so critical, that the way he scores is unrealistic and fake and that could ruin the entire movie, then you won't like it.

As a soccer fan for 30+ years, a player, a club, high school and AYSO coach, a referee, a Galaxy fan, a US soccer fan, traveled to France for World Cup, seen the US team play at least 20 times in person, and done everything I ican to gow soccer inthis country, here is my humble opinion.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

Sure, it has flaws, and some unrealisms and cliches, but this easily the best soccer movie ever made...so far. The story was good, there wer some funny scenes, and some heartbreaking scenes. I choked up many a times, and my wife had tears in her eyes.

I went in with low expectation, and came out very excited. Sure, I am a push over for a good sports movie, but this was a soccer movie and that made it extra special to me.

Realize that most Americans won't understand how difficult it is to get numerous chancs with Newscastle United. Just ignore that. What non-soccer fans will see is some great soccer action scenes and a sense of the passion in the sport.

When I got home, I heard (from another room) my wife tell our babysitter that it was a reeeaaaly good movie. This from a person who (before she met me) didn't even know what the the World Cup and that was even in the US and she lived in Pasadena.

So say what you will anout not wasting your money or even taking a chance, and being a blind follower; but if you are a soccer fan, in my opinion, you are not a true fan if you do not go see it in the movie theaters.

Now I have no stake in writing all this. I am just surprised..in fact amazed... that I have to convince soccer fans. Well I spent the money and I give it a thumb up, and I'l probaly go see it again...and buy the DVD later. I hope you give it a chance.

C'mon, it's much better that wasting money and 2 hours watching a Galaxy sham game. Right?

9. Darth Norteño

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Nothing as awful as GOAL!, kid. I did just see MI:3 last night, and despite Tom Cruise, I enjoyed it.

And that, right there, is what's pissing me off about this entire thread. So the fu¢k what if I don't go see this movie? That makes you no bigger a soccer fan than me. Were you a bigger soccer fan than anyone else for watching Ladybugs back in the day? (Well, I guess you'd have to loooooooooove soccer to put up with that film, to be fair...) I hate the fact that FSC is trying to create this utopian vision of a "soccer nation", and we're supposed to "unite" behind movies like GOAL!, otherwise we're just posers. I've been supporting DC United since day 1, and I will bleed for the club. I don't need anyone telling me that I need to be part of some movement, or that I need to see one movie to help the World Cup's ratings. A good performance by the national side will help soccer improve; not a film that will be on DVD in 2 months. And if you want an indicator of how big a "real US" fan I am, look for the guy in the beret and DC flag in the photo gallery. Hopefully that'll help. :rolleyes: And at least you have the good taste to follow the Arsenal.

I guess we're agreeing to disagree about the movie itself, but to insinuate that any soccer fan that doesn't see this movie isn't a true fan is just asinine.

10. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Ok , I agree. I guess I am still curious why you are soooooo adamant about not seeing it, It wasn't really that bad. In fact, every comment I have seen on different BS thread about this movie who have ACTUALLY SEEN the movie have liked it. You must have some other reason to not want to see it. I hear some don't like the actor guy. Some cuz of the immigration part. I don't why i am so curious.

And I don't really think you're any less of a soccer fan...just a different kind ...c'mon you're a DC fan. :)

11. Darth Norteño

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    The best in the league, baby. ;) I'm just violently opposed to anything FSC tries to ram down my throat that isn't an actual game. And soccer doesn't translate that well to the cinema, IMO...although there's a local threatre to me that's showing World Cup games. :D It's the lifelong cynic in me, I guess.

12. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    OK, I seriously didn't even know FSC was pushing it, but you goto ado what you gotta do . Heres' my final thopught on this:

Another friend I know saw the movie and said this.

"Yeh, I like it a lot, I took my two kids (10 and 15 year old boys). They thought it was great, but thought it was a bit unrealistic, cuz how in the world would Newcastle beat Chelsea!"

I had to laugh.

I've only heard good reviews from people who have actually seen it. I personally think the critics are way off. Oh well.

I'm a Galaxy fan so I got nothing to say. I just hope Freddy starts scoring some goals.

adios amigo

13. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Because there has to be some sense of realism... and Mexico winning the World Cup would completely violate that. Apparently, the character's grandmother was from Buenos Aires or something...