UPSL

Discussion in 'Referee' started by ptref, Jan 9, 2021.

1. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody have experience with UPSL games? There is new club where I live that is starting a team in the league. Just trying to get an idea of the level of play. Thanks

2. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    i do. In my area it’s not very good (Theyre trying to rival NPSL). But in some areas I’ve heard it’s pretty good and they have really good teams. I.E. Southern CA, MD, and TX.
    What I have found it’s mostly a bunch of handpicked players from other local amateur teams (some good some bad) thrown together and not as organized.

3. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I know, it varies greatly by region. Some places it’s very skilled and serious, some places it’s just a small step above any old men’s league. I know my area gets very good referees for any UPSL match, but other areas not as much.

4. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been an AR for a UPSL match. I was excited to get the match because I thought it would be better quality soccer than the local men's rec league. I thought that it would be on par with some good DIII or DII college soccer. It was not. It was barely above the local men's rec league.

dadman repped this.
  5. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I concur with @frankieboylampard that location matters. In Houston we have some pretty elite amateur men's soccer so UPSL doesn't match up to that top level. However, I did the Central Conference final in the fall and the team down from Dallas/Fort Worth had 4 recent graduates of SMU plus one that didn't travel because he'd just signed a contract with North Texas SC.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  6. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct answer. It's all over the place. That league is growing really quickly somehow. Depending on the conference, can be anywhere from a wild west ethnic type league, to pretty organized and professional with a high level of play.

dadman repped this.
  7. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody has worked games I this league remember what the referee fees were? I am in a discussion with our local team and need to make sure I have the correct information. I found a UPSL referee handbook online that shows the fees set at $75-$60-$60-$45. The owner of the team wants to pay $60-$40-$40-$30. Big difference.

8. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UPSL is not going to care what teams pay referees. It's up to the team what they want to pay. The conference in my area pays 80/40/40 right now and doesn't use 4ths for regular season games. It's part of the reason why the league has actually been successful at growing so rapidly. It's very decentralized and local conferences and owners run it how they see fit. Total opposite of something like USL.

9. thatsoccerreferee

thatsoccerreferee New Member

United States
    Apr 11, 2021
    In my area, the level of play is very similar to NPSL but this can vary widely across the league, especially in areas with division 1 and division 2.