Updates and Bugs - 5/22

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Please see the last item on the list.

Please see item 21.

HeartandSoul repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. Alerts: three issues
      • First - when having multiple alerts for multiple threads, if the first is selected, the alert notification goes away for the other threads
      • Second – when there are multiple alerts for the same thread, why do they not go away when one is selected (does not matter if oldest, or newest). They are still present under the alert tab
      • Third – What is the criteria for an alert to be moved to old alerts?
    2. Text box: I like that the text box automatically grows when making a long post. But when posting, it does not reduce to the original size and keeps a larger size.
    3. What are the rules for sigs?
    4. Changing the typeface above the text box to mold with the rest of BS (Times New Roman is so 1995 :p)
    5. Has there been any thought of re-adding the box for title of a post
    6. Will it ever be possible to click on the replies to a thread and have some notification as to who posted (and how many times) in that thread?
    7. You should make the notification that a thread is closed much more obvious
    8. Please increase the font size on already read threads
    9. There appears to be a problem with double posting
    10. Not all links are opening in a new tab/window. Links to other BS pages open in the same tab/window.
    11. Changing the time to edit a post (30min?)
    12. The only problem I have with the new format that I haven't seen mentioned is that threads are listed with the thread starter's avatar. This is messy-looking and potentially confusing as people change their avatars.
    13. Revisiting a previous question: When selecting the post number and opening it in a new thread/window, it is possible to make it just that post rather than the entire thread?
    14. Suggestion: Adding a bit of color to the UI. Though it is much better, has a feel as posting on an old black and white TV/Monitor
    15. "Preview Reply" button when posting/quoting
    16. On a posters profile page, in old BS, we could check "all posts" and "threads started." Could the "threads started" option return?
    17. In upper left, change "Mark Forums Read" to "Mark Forum Read." The plural is a bit confusing and I even dared to check it expecting that all forums would be marked as read.
    You're up, Huss

3. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about moving the rep button next to the Report link (which should probably be a button too)? We've had people who keep giving out rep when they intend to reply to the post. Obviously a reply button on each post (probably where the rep button is now) would also help.

Is it possible to have advanced reply (when you hit more options on the reply at bottom of the page) either not move to a new screen or at least show the rest of the thread below it like it used to with the most recent post first? Failing that could we add a preview button on the regular reply box since that is the only reason I need to hit more options in the first place?

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Added to the list above at #15.

As for the rest, this kind of mimics what I was talking about in the previous thread (B/S v. 4) with adding a link to the entire thread, like in old BS.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    updated Bugs/Suggestions post above - added #16

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    forgot about this earlier - added #17

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  8. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Okay thanks.

We're missing two. The original "Tenis Chileno" & "Chilenos en el exterior: interes/rumores"

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get to be the first to chime in and say I like the new left nav button. Very stylish.

Is it still being worked on? I assume so; it has multiple links to "Watched Forums" at the top when only one is needed. Also, one request -- I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but would it be possible to make the button a "floater" - in other words, it travels with you as you scroll down the page, making it always accessible, rather than being pinned at the top?

Thanks again for the continued efforts.

profiled repped this.
  10. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    New nav button still needs some work, from my perspective. I click on the button on the left of the screen, but to scroll down I have to move the cursor back to the right side slider. It needs a slider of it's own, at the very least. And like Sachsen said, it's pinned to the top of the page, so after choosing the forum I want, I have to scroll back up to the top to close it.

But, thanks for this improvement....

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.
    Two options: 1) as said; 2) collapsible to only the forum viewing, but follows as we move up and down the page as we scroll.

Also, I'm sure you know, that it covers some stuff when expanded. Further, when expanded it should be remembered based on user, not computer. This morning I expanded at home, but now at work, it was not expanded.

Yes, thank you for this improvement.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So ...

I click the new nav button, the nav menu pops up.
    I select a board from the nav menu, the board comes up, the nav menu disappears.
    I mouse over where the nav menu was before it disappeared, the nav menu pops up.

That last one should not happen.

13. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The side bar navigator also overlaps the content if you are using the liquid skin.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both skins

15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Doesn't overlap here in the fixed width one, must be a screen size/resolution thing.

16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I changed back to fixed width and it is overlapping on mine....

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it must be screen size. At home, less overlap than at work.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huss can you remove the arrow next to the username at the top of the forum (next to inbox). Several times I have clicked on that arrow to reduce the menu and it has taken me to the profile page. None of the other box (inbox, alerts, et.) have that arrow. It is confusing/misleading.

19. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    For sure, as I make my window smaller it begins to overlap, i'm on a 1920x1080 display normally full screen which would be why I didn't notice it in the fixed width setup.

20. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'll second all of this, and add:

Sometimes, the bar pops open all on its own without any clicking of my own. Other times, it stays closed. There's no rhyme or reason to it that I can discover, but it's obnoxious, especially since it's overlapping the forums when it's open thanks to the screen resolution.

21. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We're iterating. It's better than last week. :)

Clicking the arrow, or hovering over it, shows a drop down menu.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a big fail for me and others.

And it begs the question: Is this "not coming" because the software is not capable of doing it? Or because the powers that be don't see the point.

I'll give Huss the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's the former. And in that it just reinforces my perception that the new software is just not made to host a BBS/Forum system like BigSoccer.

I am still scratching my head at why this was done in the first place. There are so, so many basic missing features that the old BS.com had... that any rinky dink BBS system has. And I suspect there are many other users like me who think that this migration was a step backwards.

It's really sad to see how BS.com has fallen. User activity had already really fallen quite a lot in the last year or two. Now this misguided migration seems to be pushing away many of the remaining users. Is that really what the owners of this website wanted to happen?

I'm sorry to make such a negative post. I tried to remain guarded initially, and supportive of Huss's efforts to get to the bottom of the deficiencies. But it's been a month or so now, with his apparently concerted efforts... I believe we all pretty much know how this new system is going to work now (or not).

AndyMead repped this.
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then it is inconsistent. One can click on the arrow to show the menu, but then if the arrow is clicked again, it becomes a link to the profile page.

I say this because if one wants to check something on the profile page while posting, it is very easy to go there and think that the arrow means down/up when it really only means down. Then the entire post is lost.

24. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it makes it completely useless on a phone, especially when an ad pops up in the way.

This is not better than last week and certainly not better than last month.

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I like now that the nav bar on the left doesn't' take up so much room, but the ordering of items on the list is strange, it isn't in any relationship order (i.e. MLS General and MLS N&A aren't next to each other) and it doesn't seem to be sorted alphabetically either..