UPDATED w/Report: DC United vs Chivas USA scrimmage report

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jade1mls, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    A friend of mine in LA got into the "closed door" session today and made the following observations, fwiw:

Trying to pry more out of him about who scored the game winner, etc.

2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: DC United vs Chivas USA scrimmage report

Chivas win 1-0 on 2nd half goal by trialist Arnolfo Salazar.

DCU Line-Up:
    First half: Jose Carvallo, Marc Burch, Domenic Mediate, Bryan Namoff, Clyde Simms, Quavas Kirk, Ryan Cordeiro, Marcelo Gallardo, Luciano Emilio, Jerson Monteiro, Patrick Carroll.

Second half: Zach Wells, Devon McTavish, Gonzalo Martinez, Brandon Owens, Josh Gardner, Justin Moose, Grady Renfrow, Daniel Stratford, Fred, Jamil Walker, Jaime Moreno.

Highlight of the match seemed to be when Emilio tackled Jesse Marsch from behind and then Marsch went to the bench and threw a gatorade bottle at Emilio - game report is here:

http://sidelineviews.blogspot.com/

3. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Here's what he said:

4. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Chivas is in white:
    [​IMG]

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

No wonder Gallardo didnt do much, SURPRISE he wasnt playing with the first team! Basically all offensive reserves(minus Emilio who arrived late as it was for pre season training, bad fitness and not gel'ing quite yet im sure).

I mean to hold them down with our basically reserves + Gallardo all through the first half i think is good, our reserve's must be looking pretty.

Also again guys... its preseason!!!!

This result and reporting doesnt bother me one bit.

Also in the second half the 2 only REAL starters were fred and Moreno in the offense.

6. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know its just pre season but it would at least bring my anxiety down a little if we could at least score a goal on someone (someone who isnt 16 year old boys). Hopefully a good 4-0 win in Jamaica will fix that.

7. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

A couple more pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's preseason for the other teams that keep outplaying us too.

And it won't be preseason for us soon.

Put another way, exactly when should we start taking the preseason results seriously? Last year, at this time, reports had us looking better in preseason than we do now; and we still got bounced out of the CCC in the second round.

Exactly.

9. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007

[​IMG]

Is that Jaime??? If so, I hope the wind is playing eye-tricks. Otherwise, I think we know who came to camp out of shape.

10. Port 13

Port 13 Member

Jan 21, 2007
    just moved to NC

tough to complain about this team losing (certainly isn't the dcu that will be taking the field next month).

what is more impressive is that espn is covering pre-season MLS (must be deportes?)

11. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

I'll counter this argument by saying that we started out the regular season with 1 point after 4 matches and won the Supporters Shield.

Doesn't mean the lack of any type of goal scoring isn't a bit of a concern, but honestly, it's about fitness at this point. There are still 3-4 weeks to work on getting the rythym down.

Look, with so many changes to the roster it is inevitable that some growing pains are going to take place.

I know this is a foreign concept on these boards, but we need to exercise a little patience.

If we get bounced out by Harbor View and then get off to another 0-3-1 start, then the panic button can be officially pressed.

12. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill

Everything that I have read says that Tommy is focusing a lot of the energy on getting guys into shape. So it does not surprise me that whith half of the team new, Tommy running them into the ground and guys fighting for roster spots getting significant time that we are struggling for results.
    I guess the first Jamaica game would be a good time to start worrying Bootsy, but I know we won't wait that long. :p

13. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra

I agree with Bootsy, but am really not surprised.

Given the huge amount of turnover in the team, the number of people who've never met each other (let alone played together) before AND the lack of fitness, we may be a little rough around the edges for the first couple of months.

Patiently hoping...

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That ain't my goal this year.

If we get bounced out by Harbour View, we will have already failed miserably at what the F.O. stated was their big goal.

15. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

I do have to agree that we need to be patient (the Harbor View game is close to a month away).

I do agree with Bootsy in that if DC United gets bounced out by Harbor View it will be a MAJOR catostrophe (However, I don't think that is going to happen).

16. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think we've failed if we don't at least make it to the finals. Otherwise, we will not have improved; and wasn't the massive influx of foreign talent all about making a bigger show in CONCACAF competition than we have in the past? That's what the F.O. said anyway. So I have the same high expectations that the team has.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Was Chivas playing their second-stringers as well?

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From my read of the match report linked-to above, the mini-Goats started a team which had five of ten field players as starters, and liberally substituted -- not unlike what we did (playing Burch, Namoff, Simms. Gallardo, and Emilio in the first half; playing McTavish, Martinez, Fred and Moreno in the second).

19. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

There is no doubt in my mind, that if they lose to Harbor View, heads should roll.

While I also think we should have higher expectations, and hope that DC United reaches the final and wins, one has to be realistic.

Anything can happen in these competitions (Look at Barca last year, their team was stacked but they did not win the Champions league). Sometimes other teams have great chemistry, sometimes other teams use superior tactics, sometimes it is just that one lucky bounce, etc.

And there is your answer!

Playing half your starters in one half AND the other half in the other half ...

I would be a little bit more worried if all the starters played the whole game. But still one has to note that it is still early, some players may not be going all out, players need to adjust to new teammates, etc.

Simply, patience is our best friend right now.

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Again i agree, i am a little scared given our lack of goals and wins overall this preseason, but still not losing faith yet.

Tommy said that our team, especially the new guys lacked fitness and because of this where they should be working on technical and tactical drills by now, which helps to get your offesive players to know eachother better, with excercises vs. defenders and goalie, but since our guys especially the new ones are so outta shape that they are still stuck on fitness where they should be doing what i mentioned above.

I think with time our team wil GEL iwth eachother and WORK. We might start off slow, but i can almost garuntee it, once our offense gets to that point of all working like a well oiled machine we will laugh at even thinking anything about the preseason.

Gallardo = Heart of the team, and until he can start getting used to playing well with Emilio, as it seems he already is used to fred and moreno,(but still too needs to get used to Niell) we wont be 100 percent effective going at goal. Also it isnt helping us that we have a basically open right wing spot open and its just musical chairs at this point, so no current starter for their doesnt help us get aquanited with gallardo and that person on the right. If only benny was good.... You never realize how bad someone really helps a team out until he's out.

21. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002

I stopped caring about preseason when KC beat us 5-0 a few years ago and we had no problems with them in the regular season. Soehn has stated he's more getting the fitness down, so everyone's on the same page... then comes the tactical work.

Plus, I think most of us have our fingers firmly planted on the panic button all the time.

22. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington

I don't care nearly as much about our early regular season games as I do about the CCC games. Our 0-3 regular season start last year didn't prevent our winning the supporter's shield. While we shouldn't downplay regular season losses the fact that it's a 30-game regular season followed by playoffs (hopefully) gives us much more of an opportunity to recover from a regular season loss or even a string of regular season losses.

In contrast, any loss in the CCC can be critical.

I agree w Bootsy that the CCC should be the early season's top priority. But I wouldn't go so far as declaring failure if we don't make it past the second round. To me, that verdict depends on how well we play overall in the CCC. If we get eliminated on the road at Pachuca in a similar manner to what happened last season at Guadalajara (meaning a closely contested series NOT a butter-fingered keeper error giving them a goal) then we're more or less where we were last year. A disappointment but not a failure.

We'll probably have to it without Ben Olsen. Our top preseason priority after the usual conditioning and getting everyone used to playing with each other needs to be to find an effective stand-in for Benny.

For better or worse we'll finish the Harbor View series before the regular season opener at KC March 29. If we were to make it to the CCC final we would have 10 games between March 29 and May 4 in which we would need to use our team depth well. That would be a tricky stretch but I hope the team can meet the challenge.

23. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Imagine no preseason
    It's easy if you try
    With no computers
    No news to make us cry
    Imagine all the people
    Living for op'ning day

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no inTERnet
    I wonder if you can
    No need for useless info
    It just don't matter, man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

With apologies to John Lennon

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Hmm... Pachcua ironically is looking really good in mexico right now on top of their group..... Well as long as we give them a good fight i'll be happy.

25. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA

So, when does Soehn stop with the fitness focus and get to the technical let's-play-well-together focus? Isn't our game vs Harbor View in three weeks, and don't the guys need a little rest from the pounding? The last few preseason games we haven't looked real good from a continuity standpoint, and I am wondering if we are just tired.