Updated Name the team poll!

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by sounderfan, Aug 24, 2006.

1. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    I took the top 3 vote-getters from the first poll, and this time added "Seattle Sounders" as a poll/name option. You can only vote for ONE choice this time!

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with Seattle Sounders?

3. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Nothing. But...

[​IMG]

Seattle doesn't support the name well anymore...:(

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, if the USL-1 side had a different name it would be supported better?

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah because the problem with the Seattle USL-1 attendance is the name. :rolleyes:

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, somehow I don't think that's the problem.

7. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Nope. But overcoming the name seen by casual fans as :minor league: is something MLS Seattle may not want to deal with.

The "magic" of calling a soccer team "Seattle Sounders" is gone.

Can MLS restore the "magic" of Sounders to people who don't go anymore?

It shouldn't have to.

8. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Good to see even *MORE* people who DON'T LIVE HERE join in the talk! Where are the Sounders fans?

Oh, all six of us have already posted. :D

9. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    [​IMG]

On Demand? Funny! :D

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28 year resident of the Puget Sound area before I moved to Phoenix 3 years ago. My first ever soccer game was a Sounders game back in the NASL days. Maybe you shouldn't assume that some of us don't know what we're talking about just because we don't have Seattle in our location huh?

Oh, and before you ask, I was not a regular attendee of Sounders games in the MLS period because I lived in Bellingham and a 2 hour drive each way wan't in the cards for me. I was, and still am, a long distance Sounders fan though. They aren't my #1 team, but I'm still a fan.

11. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
    I'll be a season ticket holder next year just because i'll do anythign to help the push for seattle to the MLS. I'll get all my friends to go too, and I'll be an avid fan, I feel like I was the only passionate person at the DCU vs. Real Madrid. Perhaps an overstatement, but the crowd really was a bore, I think the only time people even stood up was when the two goals were scored.

I would however really like it if the sounders scratched the whole qwest field thing and just moved to a smaller stadium. That place in kitsap would be awesome. I think a sold out 6k stadium is a lot better than maybe 7 or 8k at qwest. It's all about the atmosphere for me.

12. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still voted for Emerald City FC. I agree with Hanauer that the Sounders name brand just won't cut it for MLS. The Sounders name will STILL be alive, just not for MLS. It's not that big of a deal....sometimes change is a good thing.

13. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    I just assumed you didn't LIVE HERE now, nothing else. So, you are not likely to be a season ticket holder of Seattle MLS, right?

So...what you think the team should be called is just window dressing compared to what people who they'll want as customers think it should be called.

If they run a "name the team" contest that isn't 'rigged,' I'd expect a very nice showing for "Sounders." That doesn't matter, though.

MLS Seattle WILL NOT BE CALLED SOUNDERS.

I'm not saying that's what I want, but I am saying that I have been on this case for almost 3 years and absolutely EVERYONE involved in the future club that I talk with says it will be a new team, with a new name.

14. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra

Good to hear that you will be coming to the matches next season!

Where were you located at the RM/DCU match?
    ericgi and I were behind the south goal, and we did what we could. They were not going to allow us to stand and sing/chant for the entire match at that event.

I agree that Qwest is too big for the USL-1 Sounders, but just because they are in a smaller stadium does not insure that there will be a great atmosphere. Sure, the stadium itself would not be so gigantic, but there is more to atmosphere than just having a smaller venue.

Have you ever been to a Sounders match at Starfire?

15. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    Now that's atmosphere!

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SF,

The poll asks what a Seattle MLS team should be called, not, "what euro-poser name would Hanauer call the team.:D

And as I have said earlier, I can't imagine the MLS going for a name that doesn't have the city in it or some other nationally recognized geographic designation. Emerald City is just a glorified Chamber of Commerce label that not many outside of the northwest associate with Seattle.

18. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emerald City would only happen if the MLS group bought out the youth club. And as someone else posted, you'd probably see a huge backlash from other premier youth clubs like Crossfire if that happened. They all HATE each other!

And yeah there's probably a difference between what SHOULD it be called and what WILL it be called.

Me? Sounders 'til I die.

19. RHMCW

RHMCW Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    For me, it's about the game

20. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    I look forward to catching my first Sounders game regardless of the atmosphere.
    2 more weeks until i'm in the Emerald City.

21. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    Will you be here in time for the Sep.9th match against Atlanta?

22. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Unfortunately no. I'll still be in Philly. i arrive on the 13th.

So i will probably catch my last DC United match against Real Salt Lake at RFK on the 9th.

23. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra

The USL-1 playoffs start the week after that...

24. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Sweet!