News: Updated FIFA Rankings (September 2018) - US MNT #22

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by skim172, Sep 20, 2018.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    send all of the 60 percenters to england, all of them.

2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that even if we win the Gold Cup, dominate qualifying, and win all our Nations League games next year there's no chance that we could make it to Pot 1 correct? Which with Qatar as host requires us to get to number 7 in the FIFA rankings.

3. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be very difficult. The one thing we have in our advantage is we have more games than UEFA when it comes to WCQ. I believe most teams in Europe have 6 or 7 more qualification games (with the potential for two playoff games if they finish runners up).

gogorath and gomichigan24 repped this.
  4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    We must also consider that South America still has a ton of qualifying games to play. It may be difficult to make up ground on Uruguay if they do well in qualifying, given the quality of their opponents. Same with Colombia. We would also need to leapfrog Mexico, which is unlikely if we have similar results to them from here on out (a reasonable scenario).

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to send the kids to England! probably up to 13 after today

6. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up to 13th now. An improbable win vs Mexico bumps us up to 10th I believe.

True. Uruguay and Colombia have opportunities for a lot of points compared with UEFA teams. But, their qualification is not as guaranteed as say, Denmark or Italy given how tough CONMEBOL is. Root for Ecuador and Paraguay to wreck havoc.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 xbhaskarx, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Incredible, Pot 2 is looking really manageable if we don't screw up qualifying. I just didn't think we'd be able to climb to 15 or 16 let alone 13.

9. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why these knockout wins in the GC were important.

Anyway, let's take a look at some of the surrounding teams around the Pot 2 threshold:

Sweden (17): They are second in their group to Spain, having played one game fewer. They also have Greece, Kosovo, and Georgia in their group, so not much opportunities for points unless they pick up an upset against La Roja. I think Spain finishes 1st in that group ultimately, leaving Sweden in a four team playoff where only one makes the WC.

Switzerland (14): They are second in their group to Italy. Again, they don't have strong teams in their group other than Italy, it's Northern Ireland, Bulgaria, and Lithuania. Same situation as Sweden, they would have to go through a four team playoff to make it to the finals.

Germany (15): They are third in their group to the powerhouse known as Armenia after their inexplicable home loss to North Macedonia. I still think they will finish first only because the rest of the group are average at best and will just take points off of each other. But man, another weird result and they find themselves in jeopardy.

This time around, UEFA qualification for the 2nd place finishers is much trickier than in the past. Whereas a two legged tie between two teams usually favored the better team, the best team in a group of four would have to win two single-elimination matches to make it to the World Cup. As always, root for chaos.

10. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a sort of realistic look at what the pots might look at once qualifying is over (caveat: I took some liberties, such as Chile not making it, CONCACAF getting four teams, etc).

Pot 1: Qatar, Belgium, Brazil, France, England, Italy, Argentina, Spain
    Pot 2: Portugal, Mexico, Denmark, Netherlands, Uruguay, USA, Colombia, Germany (See how important it is to get into Pot 2? Those are some tough teams...)
    Pot 3: Croatia, Senegal, Japan, Ukraine, Iran, Algeria, Czech Republic, Serbia
    Pot 4: Australia, Korea Republic, Nigeria, Ecuador, Cameroon, Ghana, Honduras, Canada

Simulated Group Draw:

A: Qatar, Portugal, Algeria, Ecuador
    B: France, Mexico, Japan, Cameroon
    C: Brazil, Germany, Croatia, Honduras
    D: Italy, Uruguay, Ukraine, Australia
    E: Spain, USA, Czech Republic, Korea Republic
    F: England, Denmark, Senegal, Canada
    G: Belgium, Colombia, Serbia, Nigeria
    H: Argentina, Netherlands, Iran, Ghana.

largegarlic and la torre repped this.
  11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God damn the World Cup is a hard tournament. I don't feel comfortable in any of those groups! There's probably an argument to be made that whoever gets Qatar as the Pot 1 team has the easiest go of it, but they proved last night they're a surprisingly skillful and sturdy team. Would love to see this young Canada team in it too

Winoman repped this.
  12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rlrcpa, Winoman and VioletCrown repped this.
  13. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pot 2 is definitely a possibility. I think finishing top 17 is good enough, as traditionally a few of the teams above that spot shockingly fail to qualify every cycle. (Looking at you Switzerland and Uruguay.)

14. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sitting at 9th one has to imagine Pot 1 is within reach. Seems absurd to imagine, but I assume mathematical projections would support the possibility... or even likelihood, should we perform peerlessly in qualifiers and any of the nations ahead of us miss out on qualification. Perhaps someone with more knowledge and time can predict (or has already predicted) our chances for reaching Pot 1 status.

As I write this, a healthy dose of doubt creeps in as I realize that Pot 1 is really the Top 7 teams, as Qatar is included as the 8th. Not only does that substantially lower our chances at reaching Pot 1, it makes remaining in Pot 2 all the more competitive because we’d have to hover at or near the Top 15 teams... maybe a little lower considering one or more of those 15 (probably Euro teams) won’t qualify.

Just brainstorming here but yes we’ve landed ourselves in an enviable position here for WC seeding!

15. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why this summer was best possible scenario. We won our NL, gave the 1st team some rest, won GC, moved up the rankings, and identified 3 or 4 players who could provide instant impact in qualifying.

rlrcpa, theboogeyman, Marko72 and 3 others repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guinho, Winoman and beamish repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

TheRightPants, Winoman, rlrcpa and 2 others repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really like FIFA making it official the US are kings of CONCACAF.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found the 27 page GBE document. Let's say a player has played 1-9% percent of minutes and gets 8 points. 15 points are required. MLS is in Band 4, which gives 6 points for 90-100% percent of domestic minutes, 5 points for 80-89%, and down to 1 point for 40-49%.
    MLS in Band 4, and playing in a Band 4 league is worth 6 points. 15 points are required, so a player from MLS would only need 10%.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Except Mexico is #9?

Winoman repped this.
  21. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Mexico #9 after losing to us twice in the summer in major tournaments is kinda nuts. Otoh, ELO agrees, having us 17th and Mexico 15th. I guess it just tells you how much damage 2017-2019 did to us, it took a ton to dig our way out of that hole and we're still digging. Hopefully we can grab the qualifying crown and that's enough. I don't see us in Pot 1, but it's technically possible which is crazy to think about.

Eighteen Alpha and Winoman repped this.
  22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico didn't lose any ranking points for their two losses to the US since they were in The knockout stages of tournaments.

xbhaskarx, Winoman and gtrower repped this.
  23. gtrower

gtrower Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah I get why they do that, but pretty frustrating in this case.

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get from first view but the us went from 20th to 10th in one summer which is pretty monumental.

Personally I don't like the part where you don't lose points (for many reasons) but I understand why they did it. But by the 2026 cycle the negatives will start to show their ugly impact.

Anyway I did the math rerunning the rankings from 2018 using every game without the knockout benefit and the US would be 9th and Mexico 12th.

majspike and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It sounds like almost everybody in the USMNT pool right now is eligible for a UK work permit this summer, due in large part to the new rankings.

A lot of players may never get a better opportunity to move.

Marko72, Burr, Eighteen Alpha and 3 others repped this.