Up From Mediocrity: Ajax 2023-24

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The ladies did it! :thumbsup:

Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, they did. I was only able to watch the first half. It looked like they had a decent crowd in the Cruyff Arena. Tough draw coming up as they will face Chelsea, Barca, or Lyon in the QFs.

3. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Congrats! Nice to see that something is functioning in the club.

4. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think it's been confirmed he misses the Euro, has it??

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Depends on the severity. Former Ajax player Viktor Fischer had a similar injury and really never recovered. I think he just retired from football this year at age 29. I hope Lang's injury is not as severe!!

6. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No it’s not but I’m assuming he’s going to be up against it.
    I believe this is the 3rd time he’s done damage to his hamstring.

7. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes the Dane Fischer he was expected to be a huge talent.
    Remember Robben was having many problems with his hamstring’s and eventually overcame them.
    Not sure if he ever had surgery but it was a big problem for him.

8. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bergwijn being linked with Bayern Munich I read yesterday.
    The ignorant Haters of the man bother me greatly with their stupidity from some of the comments I’ve seen on some of the Dutch sites I follow.
    Ajax can’t let him leave unless it’s for sick money, but his departure will hurt the team.
    No matter what people may think about Bergwijn he is one of the few experienced players who plays with skill and creativity.

aveslacker and Orange14 repped this.
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Former youth player Julian Rijkoff returns to Ajax from Dortmund. Transfer fee is €1.4M and he is signed for four years. It did not look like he could break through at Dortmund. Salah-Eddine may be headed out the door to FC Twente on a permanent transfer.

10. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not entirely a complete comparison, but in baseball studies show that the number one predictor of injury is previous injury. The (Dutch) author Wessel van der Kolk has written a book about this, called "The Body Keeps the Score". Reminds me a bit of John O'Brien - once he got hurt, it was hard for him to stay healthy, although in his case I heard that some of it might have had to do with one leg being shorter than the other if I recall.

Orange14 repped this.
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    there is also the physiological part of it that leads to way above average cruciate ligament injuries among women soccer and basketball players.

aveslacker repped this.
  12. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    ASE to Twente on a permanent for 1m

The (potential) shocker Nottingham Forest wants Akpom AND he wants to go. Fee would be 16m if they stay in the PL.

13. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Have to say that a draw was a fair result for this one. Both teams had chances to win it in the 2nd half and came up short. Other than the goal by de Jong who got in a huge space when Ajax were not in shape, the defense did enough. Lots of blocked shots and Bamayoko was well defended all match long. Henderson was such a big difference maker on the night with coolness on the ball and directing players throughout. Had we had him earlier in the season, things would be a lot different. Twente won today so we drop a little but further behind them but with PSV out of the way, the schedule all of the sudden might be favorable.

Player Ratings:

Ramaj (7) - decent match and he made some key saves
    Goojier (6.5)- had one poor turnover but was otherwise pretty solid until coming off with cramps
    Dutalo (7) - solid defending and one of those made better by the Ajax #6
    Hato (7.5) - Cal Ripken stream miraculously continues with a super performance only marred by an early YC
    Rensch (6) - had one horrendous play deep inside Ajax territory that was saved by Hato but had to come off with a leg injury
    Henderson (8) - rock solid game in front of England manager Southgate
    Taylor (6.5) - worked really hard all match long and had two shots on goal, one that was good and one that was skied over the crossbar but remained solid on defense
    Hlynsson (6) - tirelessly pressed throughout the match but could not have much of an impact on offense
    Berghuis (7.5) - had a solid match and the goal was well taken after setting up Brobbey and then running to the open spot
    Brobbey (7.5) - consistently held the ball up well and had some good passing
    Bergwijn (6) - had a better defensive game than on offense
    Sosa (7.5) - for someone who can't defend, he pretty much marked Bamyoko out of the match
    Tahirovic (6) - on for Berghuis and was decent
    Gaaei (NR) - on late for Goojier and whistled for a phantom foul when he looked to beat the PSV defender

Heerenveen away next Sunday and then home to Bodo/Glimt in the Conference League

richsavare and Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  15. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Fairly balanced match, quite entertaining! Both sides were going for the win. Could have easily ended 2-2 (or maybe even 3-3). Brobbey failed to hit the target when he was through after beating the offside trap. Taylor’s miss was enormous, nobody was near him and he shot horribly high. OTOH, De Jong hit the bar and Bakayako had a venomous strike denied by Ramaj. Hato had a really solid game, he read the game very well. Bergwijn was a no-show. PSV had no real presence in midfield after Schouten was taken out (injury and/or yellow card?) - surprise that Ajax couldn’t be more dominant at the center of the field. I thought that could/would have been the turning point of the match.

Orange14 repped this.
  16. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #1091 richsavare, Feb 3, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    Entertaining match today with some good play at times, from Ajax, but sadly not enough to get all 3 points.
    Ajax just cannot keep a clean sheet and continues to struggle with losing their shape and being extremely vulnerable against corners.
    The goal conceded saw the Ajax defense all over the place with Sutalo getting pulled out of position, which causes a shift of Hato and Sosa getting dragged out of their LCB and LB positions unfortunately it was the only mistake defensively from Sosa who does not get goal side and Luuk De Jong was able to finish from close range.
    Big mistake!
    Henderson was solid and definitely an upgrade protecting the CB’s and also used the ball very well in possession.
    Hato pretty damn good play once again from this youngster who continues to impress.
    Brobbey was a handful once again and gets the assist on Berghuis finish on a move started by the goal scorer who played Brobbey in from about the halfway line with a sweet outside the foot ball.
    Brobbey has to be the 9 for Oranje off his recent performances and I’m curious to what Ronald Koeman thought who was in attendance today.
    The right side of the attack has Berghius and Hlynnson combining nicely along with the youngster Gooijer too looks quite comfortable getting forward.
    The left side of the attack with Bergwijn is not getting enough support from the midfield in my opinion with Taylor just not good enough again on the ball or combination play, and behind him was Sosa who rarely got forward with strict instructions watching the dangerous Bakayoko I’m sure.
    Bergwijn worked hard but needs more touches on the ball somehow, and his lack of involvement today hurts the Ajax attack.
    Taylor was wasteful with 2 excellent chances the second of which was the awful attempt late on in the match.
    I see continued sloppy touches, and slow on the ball decisions from Taylor.
    Sutalo seemed pretty solid today even showing some aggressive steps to the ball closing down well and I’m sure having a better player in the form of Henderson protecting the defense should make a bigger difference for Sutalo’s form.
    Van’t Schip deserves a lot of credit once again for the turnaround which is far from perfect, but he has stabilized the team clearly as his record shows along with excellent man management which Steijn clearly failed badly at.

17. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Taylor does a lot of good stuff, but man what a choker. He could have made it 2-0 early, let alone the absolute horrible miss late.

1-1 does feel fair but man, would have been nice to knock off psv.

18. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have to disagree about Taylor who struggles with the ball showing some sloppy touches at times, and he also seems very slow with decision making.
    Overall I find him to be pretty weak physically and just a soft guy.
    Ajax need to move on from him and finding an upgrade for that position has to be a priority once this season concludes.

BPBlueSox repped this.
  19. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    oh I totally agree about moving on from him - just didn’t want to totally throw him under the bus.;)

20. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I’ve lost patience with him completely.
    This Misehouy situation bothers me greatly because this young talent should have gotten an opportunity to play, and with our Midfield being such a disjointed mess most of the time makes little sense not giving him a chance over Taylor.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bergwijn is out for several weeks with a hamstring injury. Club is short of wingers with Godts and van axel Dongen also out.

22. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very bad news.

23. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZ and Almere drew. Now's our chance to move ahead of them.

24. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Back to our pre v'tS antics. Hope for a miracle in the second half.

25. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #1100 Brilliant Oranje, Feb 11, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    3-2

Is there a reason why Eredivisie doesnt have goalline technology?? o_O
    We can forget about catching Twente now