up for sale

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by TheNewOrleansHammer, Aug 2, 2007.

1. TheNewOrleansHammer

TheNewOrleansHammer New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    New Orleans
    The Times says West Ham have made Matthew Etherington, Hayden Mullins and Carlton Cole available for transfer.

About time.

2. bchammer

bchammer New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Canada
    I agree, although I think Matty would make a good squad player.

3. Chadwell

Chadwell New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    North Carolina
    The question is "Does Matty think he'd be a good squad player?"

I think he's probably one of those players that should be shipped if they're not going to see much playing time.

4. norwaytips

norwaytips Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Matty was one of the big gamblers. Didn't he lose 20k to Teddy on a coach trip?:confused:

5. northbankbar

northbankbar New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    NZ
    A coach trip?? Now a horse race I could understand.
    I'll get me coat.

6. LAIrons

LAIrons Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Northridge exWelling
    How the hell does Dailly keep missing these bullets? I respect the man for being loyal and showing some grit but with this squad when does he get a game?

7. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Probably at his testimonial match.

8. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The thing about Dailly, apart from his obvious loyalty and commitment, is that his main position is defensive midfielder and he plays this role very deep. There doesn't seem to be many of these players around lately so to have someone who is happy to just sit in front of the back four and head away every long ball thrown towards our box is quite useful. This is how he was used in the playoff final and the FA Cup final.

Also, of course, he is willing to deputise in many different positions so he is something of a utility player. A jack of all trades, master of none?? Managers like this because he helps them overcome selection problems especially when there are injuries.

Add to all this his wealth of experience at the top level of both club and international football and it's easy to see why he is still on the squad.

Long live the legend!!!

[​IMG]

:D:D

9. norwaytips

norwaytips Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with you 100%. He also works hard with the kids; helping with the coaching. Too many people knock him.

Why do you think that 4 managers have all kept him on and never even spoken about letting him go?

It must also be remembered that he plays in a very vulnerable position. He never once complained about the boo boys, he has scored some important goals and he bleeds for the team when has to.

10. LAIrons

LAIrons Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Northridge exWelling
    Yes West Ham,"long live the legend", Dailly has endeared himself to most of us, not so much with skill but with undoubted courage. He reminds me of my bull terrier, very gassy and annoying at times, but i know my heart will be broken when he goes to the "great bone yard in the sky",(my dog not Dailly). Norwaytips, do you know if Dailly has acquired any coaching badges?

11. lesliemoss

lesliemoss New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Malibu, California
    This is interesting, because all 3 (Etherington, Mullins and Cole) played today against Roma, in particular Etherington, who played for most of the game.
    I doubt they were on display just for potential sale?

12. norwaytips

norwaytips Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LA. I don't know mate, but West Ham have always had a policy of sending their players to coaching courses. I'd be amazed if he didn't have any.

13. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland