Up and coming coaches?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ButlerBob, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are some of the up and coming coaches around the country? At any of the levels? Because of work, I dont' get to go to as many college game as I used to. This season it seems like a number of different teams were in the top ten or even number at number one.

In the Chicago area, there is a D3 coach who has really turned aroun his program. At North Park College, John Born has been there for two season. In his first year, they had a winning season and this year they won the conference tournament. He does a good job at recruiting and has his teams play an attacking soccer.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If we're gonna talk about an up-and-coming coach that the D-I programs should be looking at, I think this guy is one we should be looking long and hard at.

Dave Brandt, the head coach at Messiah College in Pennsylvania. Yesterday, he won his third D-III NCAA title in five years. In eight seasons at Messiah, he's 158-19-10.

Brandt's worst season was his second at Messiah when he went a paltry 17-4-2 in 1998. He's had one three-loss season and SIX two-loss seasons. Besides the three NCAA titles, there's one more trip to the Final Four, a fifth trip to the quarterfinals, a total of seven trips to the D-III Sweet 16 and, in his first season, when he lost in the round of 32. Eight seasons, 8 NCAA Tournament appearances.

I have no idea what Brandt's background is, where he played or whether he's been a head coach elsewhere or where he was an assistant or, for that matter, how old he is.

Nor do I know if he has any desire to leave Messiah. As the name implies, it's a religious school and it could be he's perfectly happy coaching at a D-III school that has a purpose that he views as more important than soccer.

And, maybe he's a small fish succeeding in the smaller pond of D-III who wouldn't make it in D-I.

But, winning is winning and you can't argue with that and if this guy is looking to move to a higher level, someone ought to give him a chance because this guy's record is pretty damned impressive.

BTW, here's Brandt's year-by-year record at Messiah.

1997: 16-2-3 - NCAA Final 32
    1998: 17-4-1 - NCAA Final 16
    1999: 18-3-1 - NCAA Final 8
    2000: 22-2-1 - NCAA National Champions
    2001: 21-2-0 - NCAA Final 4
    2002: 23-2-1 - NCAA National Champions
    2003: 18-2-3 - NCAA Final 16
    2004: 23-2-0 - NCAA National Champions

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brandt is a guy one one of the smaller D-I schools should take a chance on. That is if he wants to leave. He might be very happy at Messiah College.

4. Heaney at UNC-W is pretty damn strong. UNC-W promises a lot to soccer, but getting it is like pulling eye teeth. So Heaney is working hard at both ends to make things work. My 2 cents he is the best young coach in carolinas/va area.

Darren Powell, asst unc-g. No one out works Darren, passion for the game on and off the field. He just might be the guy for Elon. The "but" is, as an unc-g alum, he has got to be odds on favorite to replace Parker when Parker steps down. There was a rumor Parker had inquired about early retirement at UNC-G, so a lesser program may be hesitant in talking to Powell right now. But this isn't a thread about jobs. Powells energy and enthusiasm has had a lot to do with UNC-g's turn around.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Agreed. Can't be that track record of success. If he could recruit to a D-III school, I would think he could get the type of players you need to succeed at Navy or Loyola-Chicago where there are openings now.

Similar to Tim Lenahan, who went from D-III to the Patriot League, I think that would be a wise similar move for Brandt.

Of course. That's what we don't know and the religious component could be very important to him. Of course, there are religious schools at the DI level!

6. Shutout

Shutout New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Heaney...very good from what I hear. I posted a few others on a different thread.
    Anderson/Coleman from UWM
    Ronning from NU
    Ruzzo from Bradley
    What about the assistant at Loyola...will he get a look.
    Madison has a good staff that will get looked at...Sczepanski

7. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Do you mean Tim McBride? I believe he was out of soccer for like 10 years, and into NHL hockey (the Avalanche maybe). I'm not sure he was really ever a collegiate coach before this year. :confused:

8. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Sorry to be harsh, but Ruzzo has the personality of a paper clip...cant say he is an energetic and chrasmatic guy that would wow an AD or recruit....give me some time and I will get back to you with my up and coming list......

9. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To throw a name into the hat... Mike Jacobs. For those of you that don't know, he's the lead assistant at Duke - and a very big reason that Duke is back in a Final Four. Great recruiter, great tactically, and someone that players respect. I fully expect Duke to promote him when Rennie decides to retire. Also, he's a just a nice guy - which helps! Good luck this weekend Mike. - Tom

10. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Good name Wildcat...he almost singlehandedly has gotten Duke back on the map.....the players they have brought in the last threee years speak for themselves...although I still think that if you cant attract kids to Duke, there must be something wrong. I do have to disagree that he will be brought into Rennies slot when the time comes......John kerr is an alum (though maybe not a good coach) and Kenny Lolla has made "chicken salad out of chicken #@*& at Akron...he is also an alum. For other top assistants, go to collegesoccernews.com. They came out with their list yesterday.....along with Jacobs, guys like Agoos, Chappel, Doyle, Fleming, Stimson, etc etc made their thrid of fourth appearance on the top assistants list.

11. IUHoosierfan

IUHoosierfan New Member

Dec 8, 2004

How come no one is talking about IU Assistants. Granted Todd Yeagle probably won't go anywhere but Caleb Porter is an outstanding assistant. Look for Caleb Porter to lead a strong program in the future.

12. imegu

imegu New Member

Nov 30, 2004

One name to throw out to all of you Munga Eketebi he is the Asst. at FIU has been there for a number of years and figures to be the choice for when karl Kremser retires. Was a player at FIU and for you Hoosiers and Bruins out there he beat them as a player and as a Coach. Watch out for FIU when he takes over.

13. Teletubby

Teletubby Member

Dec 10, 2004
    I think the next crop of top coaches will also come from the assistants that have MLS playing experience. There are a bunch out there.Yeagley (Indiana), Clark (New Mexico), Zaun (Rutgers), Hennessey (Boston College), Etcheverry (Seton Hall), Mike Jeffries (volunteer at SMU), Sorber (St. Louis). I am sure that Caliguiri won't stay at Pomona too long, not to mention guys like Vermes, Harkes and Balboa who are already popping on the radar screen with the younger national teams. Look at the Tulsa assistant this year. He has very powerful credentials.

The future is bright!! :D :D

14. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    My guess is that Rennie won't retire for quite a while....at least another 8-10 years.

15. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mean to imply that Rennie was close - just that I think Duke recognizes the overwhelming strengths of Jacobs. Actually, if Rennie stays for a while, I think that will only strengthen Jacob's chances to be Rennie's successor. There are plenty of great coaches to step in at Duke - when the day comes - but Mike's stock has certainly risen with these past two recruiting classes.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For the record, here are college coaches (head or paid assistant; can't keep track of all the volunteers) that I know of with MLS experience (defined as having played at least one regular season or playoff game in MLS) and a couple of more who didn't play in MLS but were on a US World Cup roster.

Boston College – Ian Hennessey, assistant coach: MetroStars 1996

Cal Poly Pomona (D-II) - Paul Caligiuri, head coach: Columbus 1996, Los Angeles 1997-2001

Claremont (D-III) – Dan Calichman, head coach: Los Angeles 1996-98, New England 1999-2000, San Jose 2000

Columbia – Kevin Anderson, assistant coach: Colorado 1999-2000, Tampa Bay 2000-2001.

Denver – Chad Ashton, head coach: Dallas Burn 1996

Harvard – John Kerr, head coach Dallas Burn 1996, New England Revolution 1996-97 Bruce Murray, assistant coach: No MLS but member of 1990 U.S. World Cup team

Indiana – Todd Yeagley, assistant coach: Columbus Crew 1996-2002; Caleb Porter, assistant coach: San Jose 1999

Loyola Marymount – Paul Krumpe, head coach: No MLS but member of 1990 U.S. World Cup team

New Mexico - Jamie Clark, assistant coach: San Jose 1999-2000

Northeastern – Kyle Singer, assistant coach: New England 2003

Ohio State – Brian Johnson, assistant coach: Kansas City 1997-2001

Providence – Chaka Daley, head coach: New England 1999

Rutgers – Jeff Zaun, assistant coach: MetroStars 1996-98, Chicago Fire 99; Rob Johnson, assistant coach: MetroStars 1996-97, 1999

Saint Louis – Mike Sorber, assistant coach: Kansas City 1996, MetroStars 1997-99, Chicago 2000

St. Mary’s – Steve Rammell, head coach: DC 1996, 97, Colorado 1997; Marquis White, assistant coach: Colorado 1998-99

San Francisco – Josh McKay, assistant coach: Colorado Rapids 1996; Hugo Perez, assistant coach: No MLS but member of 1994 U.S. World Cup team

Santa Clara – Tim Martin, assistant coach: San Jose 1996-98, Colorado 1999

Seton Hall – Gerson Echeverry, assistant coach: MetroStars 1997

UCLA – Jorge Salcedo, head coach: Los Angeles 1996, 1999, 2000, Columbus 1997, Chicago 1998, Tampa Bay 1998, 99; Paul Bravo, assistant coach: San Jose 1996, Colorado 1997-01

UC Santa Cruz (D-III) - Paul Holocher, head coach: San Jose 1996

UNC-Wilmington – Aidan Heaney, head coach: New England 1996

Virginia – George Gelnovatch, head coach: DC 1996; Richie Williams, assistant coach: DC 96-00, 02; MetroStars 01, 03;

Washington – Darren Sawatzky, assistant coach: New England 1996, 97, Dallas 1998, Colorado 1999

17. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I am sorry, but you think rennie could have as many as 10 years left.....that would make him 73....that would be interesting......also, you talk about Jacobs...yes he has done a great job, but what did he do at Evansville???? I always think thats where you measure a good rceruiter...when he is at a mid major school, and you see if he can steal some top guys from the major programs. I give credit when its due, and his last 2 classses have been great, but lets not forget, its not the toughest thing in the world to convince a kid that Duke is the place to go.....but at least he has elevated the program and brought it success...I laugh when I see the Bradley guy and the Wisconsin guys names, along with the MLS guys names brought up in this topic....what have they done as coaches to elevate their programs??? Not much....and it drives me nuts when people think that these ex MLS players can just walk in and know how to recruit and deal with parents, administartors, and NCAA rules ....the college game is very very different and as they say "a great player isnt always a great coach". Call me crazy but those are my thoughts.

18. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    NSCAA Regional Coaches of the Year

Division I Men
    Far West, Eric Visser, San Francisco
    Great Lakes, Tim Lenahan, Northwestern
    Mid Atlantic, Manfred Shellscheidt, Seton Hall
    Midwest, Schellas Hyndman, Southern Methodist
    New England, Neil Roberts, Boston University
    New York, Ian McIntyre, Hartwick
    South, Mike Parker, UNC-Greensboro
    South Atlantic, George Gelnovatch, Virginia

Division II Men
    Appalachian, Craig Turnbull, Catawba
    Far West, Peter Fewing, Seattle
    Great Lakes, Ed Huneke, SIU-Edwardsville
    Midwest, Dennis Currier, Incarnate Word
    New England, Marco Koolman, Franklin Pierce
    Northeast, John DiRico, Dowling
    South, Keith Buckley, Rollins
    Southeast, Fred Norchi, Queens

Division III Men
    Central, Paul McGinlay, Trinity (Texas)
    Great Lakes, Chris Hughes, Calvin
    Metro, Mike Smolens, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
    Middle Atlantic, Dave Brandt, Messiah
    New England, Jon Anderson, Babson
    Northeast, Mike Mooney, SUNY-Geneseo
    South, Gerry DiBartolo, Salisbury
    West, Larry Zelenz, Gustavus Adolphus

NAIA Men
    Central, Carl Hunter, Lindenwood
    Mideast, Scott Morrissey, Rio Grande
    Midwest, Efrem Shimlis, Park
    North, Steve Burke, Judson
    North Central, Pablo Rodriquez, Bethel College
    South, Brian Crossman, Covenant
    Southeast, Richard Vardy, Berry
    West, Phil Wolf, Azusa Pacific

19. fanatic007

fanatic007 New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    I couldn't agree more. Mike Jacob is one of the best recruiters in the country.

20. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To begin, I know the Evansville program extremely well since I live about a mile from campus. What did he do in Evansville? Jacobs single-handedly had to get "emergency" recruits when he arrived. He did that. Did Jacobs "steal some top guys from the major programs?" Yes. Players like Marc Burch - a former national teamer. Players like Dan Broxup - a PDL standout this past Summer. There are others, but you can find them for yourself on the UE website. Mike did exactly what he was allowed to do during the twilight of Fred Schmalz's career. Without going into detail, it was a very difficult situation for Mike - I promise he did what all he could do. Not being allowed to run things as he saw fit was the major reason he jumped at the Duke opportunity.

With all that said, please know that we ALL understand how much the UE men underachieved this year. Actually, to use the term "underachieve" just doesn't seem to do them justice. They sucked... but that's not for a lack of talent - brought in by Jacobs. It's a shame to watch that much talent not live up to even half their potential.

21. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Singer was with NE this year and still is (though as a developmental player that was loaned to NH Phantoms (Div 3))

22. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    OK.....Ill give you points on Birch....quality player, and yes he found Broxup, who as an international, didnt really have to outrecruit anyone to get him, but still a quality guy. You counter my point well, so I cant say too much....but it still is a bottom line business and they didnt get any better and win games, which is still how most assistants will get the "next job" He also brought some good kids to IOna when he was there, and mnay poeple never quite understood as to why he left as a head there to be an assistant at E'ville....

23. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, no problem! This isn't a contest! I wish I could go into detail about what went on in Evansville while Jacobs was here. As I said, just trust me, he did all that he was allowed to do. As an assistant, he's tops in several catagories. On a very selfish note, I wish he was still here in Evansville. He single-handedly turned around a local select soccer club and was able to attract all the best coaches in the area. Now the club is struggling without his leadership. Too bad.

24. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    PS..........................Birch was a good but not big time national team level kid when he came out of high school...he didnt get really many big money offers from the big schools, so i am sure Eville bought him away....he played on the national stage with that Ohio team that was national champs and everyone saw him but didnt show him the money. I like Jacobs a lot and he has singlehandedly made Rennie look good.......I just still think that at Wake, UVa and Duke...call 10 kids and get them on campu and youre going to get 6 of them based on the whole package that these schools offer.........but at the end of the day he is a good recruiter..........

25. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Can I ask you how Golon is doing....or is that a "no comment" question????