Unsubstantiated Eddie Lewis rumor...

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by American40, Mar 30, 2005.

1. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read the PNE forums and I didn't realize that he son was born with downs syndrome (is this child that was recently born?). I also remember Eddie making a trip back in the fall to check on his mother. If this is indeed the case I would pack it up in a heart beat, too. Family is the most important thing. If he comes back, he has served PNE well and has estblished himself a fan favorite.

3. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wizards could use him. :)

4. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
  5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    SJ isn't loaded at striker, but they are probably under the cap. KC is my guess as the other team under the cap (dumped Meola, Simutenkov, and gave Arnaud a raise). Ching to Chicago for Eddie Lewis? Why not stop the clear out of any player in SJ worth keeping ...

KC has Sealy and Pore on the bench, Wolff and Arnaud starting. Relatively deep.

Eddie Lewis to Chivas USA? He went to UCLA IIRC. That'd be good to see. Otherwise maybe the Galaxy will "find" cap room, they starter Paul Broome this preseason at LM (Pando playing centrally and Kirovski on the right)

6. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not mind trading Wolff if it meant we got Lewis in return. In fact, that would absolutely rock.

That said, i would be very very suprised if Eddie comes back to the US, and even more Suprised if the Wizards somehow manage to get him.

7. mj23drj

mj23drj New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Harrisburg
    Kirovski for Lewis would make sense.

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Lewis is very good. I'd gladly take him for the Fire. LA doesn't need Donovan with Pando, but he's too good to pass up. Same scenario here. But, I still think Eddie will be playing in the Premiership next season.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This would be too bad on so many fronts - personal (if he does have a family situation that requires his return) and professional. Lewis has done yeomans work in the Cola since his heady Fulham days and if PNE can somehow manage to scamble up, it would be a shame for him to miss it for something outside his control.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I reckon if he can get $400K x 3 years in MLS, he'll probably be back.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why's that?

12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Teams in MLS who could not use Eddie Lewis:

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    $400K salary is at the very top range of the Colaship and at the lower end of the Premiership.

I wrote this a while ago - since Eddie will be out of contract with PNE come summer, he has been able to negotiate with any perspective employer in UEFA after the winter break. If he has not found many suitors, it means that the big and mid-table clubs are not especially interested at this point. (though clearly there'd be players movement over the summer and EPL clubs could change their mind). His best bet is probably with the newly promoted sides, which are not that financially strong (except Wigan, I guess, which has a wealthy backer/owner) and won't splurge on salaries.

BTW, MLS can have him in late May, right after the end of the Colaship year. For the EPL/Colaship teams, he'll probably have to wait 'til later. That is assuming he won't try the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and so forth.

14. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    I thought I had read where Eddie made about $900K..............

15. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Eddie in the EPL next year, but that's far from a certainty. PNE is very unlikely to pass both Ipswich and Wigan with 7 games left, and getting in through the playoffs is tough. I think he could be useful for a lower-mid- Premiership side, though.

Just saw on Soccernet that Eddie has two red cards this season (he leads the team!).

16. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a pointless side note, I think he still holds the US record for getting a red after entering the game.

17. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm funny. I could have sworn that Eddie was lining up a premiership move if Preston didn't win promotion.

Eddie is a fan favorite at the North End..deservedly so. They would hate to see him go but i for one would love to have him back.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    True.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd be surprised if he was only making 400k, but anyway, I misread your post - I thought you were saying 400 over 3 years.

Anyway, if Lewis were coming back to MLS because he wants to, great. If he's coming back because of unfortunate family situation, then that's too bad, considering PNE have a shot at promotion.

20. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Some would have serious problems freeing up cap room. Others have good starters on the left wing that it might be difficult to play with Lewis. But I agree that all would want him and he'd be a starter on any team. DC has a deep midfield and likely little ways of clearing cap room. About the same for LA (could play Pando out there but maybe centrally) and Metrostars (have Gaven, same deal as Pando). Chicago (Justin Mapp and Ivan Guerrero) have the highest 2 allocations out there. NE signed Cassio (Brazilian) for the left flank. Columbus played Chris Wingert there last year but he's probably moving to the right this year. I'm not sure what side Frankie Hejduk will play on. SJ got Wade Barret and Brad Davis this offseason but could use Lewis back. Right now Dallas is planning on Ronnie O'Brien as a left winger (yes left, with EJ on the right). Colorado went out and got Uruguayan Martin Morales and have Mark Chung. Real Salt Lake have T&T international Rojas but could move him to LB and he's no Lewis for sure. Same with standout rookie during the preseason in Kreamalmeyer. I think KC has a big hole at LM if Gutierrez plays centrally again but I doubt Lewis would sign to go there right now.

But you're right in that any team would want Lewis and most would trade/cut as necessary to get him. He'd be a great signing for a new owner at SJ ...

Right now I wouldn't see DC, LA, Metrostars, Chicago, or Dallas in the running. NE is doubtful. SJ & KC would be good fits but seem unlikely to add any big signings until sold. That leaves RSL, Colorado, Columbus, and Chivas. Really Chivas is the best fit with the LA connection. He was born in Cerritos (LA area) and went to UCLA. Chivas has a serious lack of quality or depth in the midfield right now unless some unknown 22 year old Mexicans become league all-stars. Francisco Gomez is set to start. Vergara could afford Lewis. Given recent events, the Galaxy might find a way to afford him too. SJ is probably the one with the cap room right now. Chicago has the allocation.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't know if he was working off his Fulham contract or not but $400K is quite a bit at Colaship. I just threw the number because that's roughly what Clint Mathis got when he came back from Hanover and roughly ($650K or E500K) what Clint was making in Bundesliga also.

22. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Wolff, Donovan, Adu, McBride were among the largest MLS salaries released a year ago. All between 300-500k. I'd bet Donovan is getting payed pretty well now, but MLS doesn't like to pay more than around 500k (at least anymore - Luis Hernandez and other foriegn internationals probably made 7 figures in the first few years of MLS).

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Right. Adu was at $500K. Wolff at $450K. Donovan at $350K. All of the above were without the outside endorsements where Freddy cleaned up but good.

It'd be interesting to see if LanDo got a raise.