Unorthodox Stadium Idea

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A news story on miamiherald.com brought this place to my attention, and I thought of a somewhat unique solution to the problem.

There is a movement to save Miami Marine Stadium on Virginia Key, in between downtown and Key Biscayne, as it is viewed as an architectural landmark to some. It hosted watersports like boat racing, and even some concerts in it's day. But after Hurricane Andrew it's just been sitting there, rotting away as people have tried to save it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, I had a thought: why not convert the 7,500 seat grandstand into a soccer stadium for Miami FC? That way the structure is preserved and it would actually get used. I don't know how popular boat races and other water-based exhibitions are these days, but it would seem soccer would make better use of the facility. They could also resume staging concerts and add some land based events to the facility to generate revenue year round. However it would require filling in a portion of the basin to make a base for the pitch, and also extensive renovation of the grandstand. The grandstand part might be done by the city anyway, so all MFC would have to pay for would be the construction of the pitch, and maybe some slight additional modifications(locker rooms, press box, concessions etc.).

This may be something way too complicated or expensive for Miami FC to ever do, but talk about a showcase venue for Traffic, MFC and USL. It would be spectacular. Great views of the bay and downtown, and it's about 5 minutes from the end of I-95, so it's not too difficult to get to. It's roughly the same distance from Broward as Tropical Park or FIU, so it's still feasible to draw fans from the north. Wacky idea I know, but thoughts anyone?

2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stadium, even though I've not been in it for decades. I'm delighted that an attempt is being mad to save it, but I can't see any way to convert this into a SSS short of jacking it up & moving it onto Key Biscayne (or Bicentennial Park). Good thinking, dr, this architectural gem would make a fantastic home for The Blues if anyone could ever figure how to get it somewhere else.

3. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well what ever happened to the money for the proposed soccer stadium? Didn't the City or the County have that money for the supposed SSS next to the proposed Marlins stadium?

Okay how about this for a thought? How about forget having to fill the water with a base, and build it on the parking lot ( http://maps.live.com/?q=key+biscayne+florida&mkt=en-US&FORM=BYRE) , that way you can have a waterfront based stadium, and kind of make like a orange bowl shape and the opening to the miami downtown skyline my? .2 cents, no? any thoughts?

4. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
  5. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doable indeed. How unique! A remarkable thing. Is it moveable? I wonder what the cost would be. If it is anywhere near affordable it certainly is worth a shot.

6. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doable indeed. How unique! A remarkable thing. Is it moveable? I wonder what the cost would be. If it is anywhere near affordable it certainly is worth a shot, but the question is who'd pay for it?

7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone would eliminate one dupe I'd appreciate it. Sorry.

The Miami Stadium did have a floating platform during its heyday during the 1960s. I saw many Miami Pops concerts there in the late 60s and the orchestra was on a large floating platform with sound shell set away from the stadium seats. It was very effective and the entire scene at night with all the city lights in the background was remarkable. It was also fabulous for 4th of July fireworks, too.

I doubt that reconditioning the stadium plus designing and building a steady platform large enough for a full sized pitch - it would have to have artificial turf, too....I don't see how a real grass surface could be maintained - could be done on a realistic budget. Yet, if it ever is done, then The Blues would have one of the most memorable venues anywhere.

8. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I think about it a "floating platform"(it would have to be anchored solid to the shore and the bottom of the bay to keep the pitch from rocking in the waves) with FieldTurf would be the most cost effective, and realistic, way for something like this to work.

Say the effort to salvage and renovate the structure succeeds. That's the county/city's problem. Then, all MFC would need to do is pay for the field platform and other soccer necessities(locker rooms, a camera nest opposite the stands so you can see the crowd on TV, etc.). Even though it's kind of complex, I would think it would have to be cheaper than buying land and building an entire stadium(even USL) from scratch. A big benefit is that the facility could still be used for watersports(just tow the pitch out of the way), which would make the idea of using it for MFC an easier sell to the city/people who want the place saved in the first place.

I'd deal with Turf to be able to have such a unique venue to go to. Natural grass could be doable though if you think about it. 90% of all sports venues with real grass have it growing on top of concrete and drainage pipes and all kinds of stuff. That would probably push the project past affordability though.

...and think of the goal celebrations lol! Serna scores the game winner followed by a dive into the bay!

Ahh fantasy stadiums lol.

9. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    >>UPDATE<<

Okay folks just on a whim I decided to contact Friends of Miami Marine Stadium, the group trying to save the structure, to tell them about the idea of incorporating a floating pitch into any restoration, like The Float at Marina Bay in Singapore has:

[​IMG]

This is the response I received:

All it would take to make waterfront pro soccer happen, if the restoration effort succeeds, would be to expand the plans for a new floating platform to make fitting a soccer field(and football) possible. The expansion of the platform to accommodate the field would open the venue up to many more kinds of events past the usual boat races and concerts, and thus make reviving the stadium more appealing to city/county officials.

So, it's not as crazy an idea as I first thought. The main obstacles would be lighting the field, figuring out a safe way to tow the platform out of the way for marine events, building locker rooms and other needed facilities for soccer, and perhaps biggest of all, getting Traffic to fork over some money to help make it happen(if Miami FC still exists if/when this happens).

for anyone interested, here's the Friends of the Marine Stadium site where you can see renderings of a restored stadium:

http://www.marinestadium.org/

10. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I like the idea. And if they can expand the stands it would be great as this would generate interest in the team and people would just go to see a soccer game in a floating stadium.

11. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    How deep is the water there? If not a floating platform, couldn't they just set pilings down into the water into the bottom, and build a field on top of that? Or would it be cheaper to make it float? Just curious; I'm not an engineer (didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express, either :D).

12. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's an artificial basin, made specifically for powerboat racing. Not sure how deep it is, but near the shore part of the grandstand is actually over the water on pilings, so it's possible, but floating would probably be cheaper, and preferred, so they can move the platform out of the way for races etc. It would just need to be pulled in nice and close to the stands, attached to the shore and also anchored to the bottom in a few places to keep the pitch steady. The water is usually calm in the basin so it should be doable.

I don't think they would need to expand for Miami FC, it holds around 7,000 people, and if they could fill that out maybe consider expanding in some way. The easiest expansion solution is that anyone with a boat could pull up around the field and watch, which would be cool.

13. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Yeah, and they could charge a lot to the boats, but how many boats can you have?

14. FIUJoel

FIUJoel New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    Miami FC
    It seems like an intriguing idea, and a creative one! But I am kind of concerned with the distance between the field of play and the stands... at the Float, it seems like it is very far away. I love many traditional stadiums because it provides a great seat from just about anywhere. The problem with a stadium with a track or like the Float is that the fans feel far from the action...

15. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm not sure why the place in Singapore has the field so far away. The old floating platform for concerts at the Miami Stadium was set a bit away as well to allow boats to squeeze in between.

For the soccer field though, there is no need for that because any boats could view the game just as well from the other 3 sides of the platform. Being movable they could probably just pull it nice and close for the MFC matches.

To be honest though I'd take it even with a far distance between me and the field. Tropical Park is a horrible stadium with a track and more in between the stands and the field, but it never stopped me from enjoying the games. And with the view and the truly "Miami" atmosphere the Marine Stadium would have, I think we could all live with being a little farther away from the action :D.

16. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I wrote a blog about Derek's idea and even talked to the people trying to restore the Marine Stadium and tons of people are all over this. Most Local blogs and media are digging this idea. While the haters in the cold areas of the country are criticizing as usual.
    Original Blog:
    http://football-miami-n-beyond.blogspot.com/2010/12/miami-marine-stadium-new-soccer-stadium.html

Here is what the Herald printed last week:

[​IMG]

Sites that picked this story up:

South Florida Daily Blog
    http://southfloridadailyblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/soccer-at-miami-marine-stadium.html

THE 305
    http://the305.com/2010/12/13/a-new-...field-a-part-of-the-old-miami-marine-stadium/

WVHooligan
    http://wvhooligan.com/2010/12/03/stadium-on-the-water-miamis-latest-idea/

The Offside Rules
    http://theoffsiderules.blogspot.com/2010/12/miami-just-making-up-mls-stadium-ideas.html

SB Nation
    http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2010...-soccer-fans-but-this-stadium-idea-wont-float

UnProfessional Foul
    http://unprofessionalfoul.com/2010/12/03/friday-backpasses-orchestre-vide/

17. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest I can't believe my crazy idea has picked up even this modest amount of steam. It would certainly expand the usability of the old stadium and would further justify restoring the grandstand from the city's perspective, but it's so unusual that I'm stunned it's even being tossed around as a possibility. And I came up with the idea before I discovered the Singapore version.

However, if the folks and Friends of the Marine Stadium are concrete in their desire to have a true floating pitch(so they can move it completely out of the way), it just won't work as an MLS venue in my opinion as there wouldn't be enough seats. It would be fabulous for a D2 venue though, but the Strikers(Miami FC) are pretty much settled into Fort Lauderdale now and I doubt they'll go back to Miami.

18. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All this talk about a floating stadium sounds cool and all, mostly from a uniqueness standpoint really, but there doesn't appear to be any possible way of following through on this practically. There are far too many obstacles to making this reality, even on just a D2 level as you are 100% correct that it would never work for MLS.

You really don't need to go any further than cost. Why would Traffic, the organization most heavily invested in pro soccer in this area, spend the ton of cash it would take to make this idea viable? They could spend far less doing some work to Lockhart, a place smack in the middle of their largest potential fanbase (assuming they rebrand properly to Ft. Lauderdale Strikers) and have it turn into much larger, mouch more consistent support for the team.

Miami-Dade has historically done a very poor job of supporting pro soccer anyway. And it's easy for someone to say, well, this site is close to 95, so people coming from the north (ie. Broward and Palm Beach) could come. But reality is more like this - you'd be killing most of your "nothern" fanbase by moving the team to Miami.

Anyway, kudos for originality and creativity. But I just don't see any practicality in the idea at all.